• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Watch Yourself In A Mirror & See Yourself Transformed

A

Anonymous

lately, i have noticed some odd things in my mirrior.
you see my bathroom is right by the family room, so i can watch tv in the mirror, anyway, lately while brushing my teeth i will watch tv, but out of the corner of my eye, it looks like i'm looking at myself, except, my face is all messed up. it almost looks like a demon is looking at me, its really freaky, go try it with your mirror see if you see the same thing.
just go up to a mirror stand faceing it but look at a reflection of something else in the room, keep staring at that something, and you will start to notice that it looks like you are looking at yourself.
anyway this really freaked me out when i saw it the first few times. so anyway thats it.

Game for (almost) anything, me, so I just tried it.

Result - sore eyes (lack of blinking), but no demons.

Of course, I only gave it 2 or 3 minutes - long enough to clean my teeth (quite thoroughly!) - and it may take longer to see the demon. Unless, if you are a demon, maybe it takes longer to clean all those teeth, but there again you'd see a demon anyway .......

:confused:

I try not to look at myself in the mirror - what's there is bad enough without having to add demons to it!!

:confused: hmm...you've given me pause for thought, there, because I see strange things in mirrors all the time (disembodied heads, for example). I'm going to try this in a few moments and let you know what happens, but Josh, if you would answer me a couple of questions: Does this happen for you in EVERY mirror you come across? Does it happen ONLY when youre watching TV? Is the tv behind, to the left or to the right of you (in the mirror that is...I guess what I'm asking is are you focusing left or right?). I'm trying to narrow down exactly what it is you do to try and replicate your results.

It sounds like it's your brain filling in information about things just outside your field of vision, if you get what I mean.

Interestingly, mirrors have been used for a long time for magical ends. Most recently a magical group known as the Order of Astarte used a mixture of mirrors and hypnotism to 'evoke demons' (which they see as aspects of our unconscious minds). If I remember correctly there is a practice in India which involves using two candles on either side of a mirror and staring at your face to see your past incarnations. Then of course there's the "Bloody Mary" game.

Yrs.,
D.S.Sh.

ok about me looking in the mirror,
the tv is back and to my left, but i think anydirection works.
ok what you do is just face a mirror then look to either the left or right of your refelction in the mirror. (i've only tried it with the left tho) it works good if you have the light on in your bathroom too. ok anyway just focus on anything to the left of you, but you should still be able to storta see your face through your preifrel (sp?) vision. after about 4-5 seconds of focusing on the thing to your left or right out of your side vision you should be able to see your eyes bearly, and they sorta look lik they are big and white, and stareing right at you.
and if you look for a long while, it looks like your face is demonic sorta, i dunno that might just happen to me (i'm know for being weird) lol anyway good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Red & Black Feast

Possibly I'm repeating what's already been posted, but the way I know is to sit infront of a mirror in a pitch dark room and position yourself so that you can shine dim torchlight up from directly beneath your chin to illuminate your features (i.e. use a low table, don't hold the torch yourself or it'll shake). Or you could use a candle - but slightly in front of your face or you'll get one hell of a frightening result. Then just stare at yourself for at least 10 minutes - right into your own eyes, trying not to blink - and your face will eventually change beyond recognition, to that of a demon. Unless you look like one already. I think Aleistair Crowley called this the 'Red And Black Feast'.

Someone at some university or other did an experiment with this in the 1980's and found that the results were so frightening that half the people who took part refused to carry on with the experiment.

This sounds like a variant of the idea that I heard in the 70's that if you stared long enough into a mirror, you would see your (or at least a) skull. Opinion was divided as to whether you would see this after you'd seen fleeting glimpses of all the faces of your previous lives!

I actually did try this once, and it worked! Trouble is, I was under the influence of psychedelics at the time.

(Incidentally - top tip for psychonauts - psychedelics and mirrors are a bad combination, especially large mirrors facing each other with you in between...........)

sometimes, if you stare right at your eyes for a long long time, you will start to feel like your stareing at someone very evil. its real weird, i used to do that when i was board and boy after a whlie i just couldn't do it cause it scared me

i know what you mean,ah the bloody mary game gotta to be brave to try that game out,almost tried it once but backed out:eek:

same here. i'm sure there is a reasonable explaination.
it probably has something to do with you being disey from spining, and thinking you see something you really didn't. but i'm not gona try it unless there is someone with me

Stare at anything long enough and it shifts. Perception seems
to be designed to register changes and starved of changes the
brain gets restless.

Gazing at a field of grass, for instance does not produce a more
intense green, it seems to want to turn white.

There are a lot of tricks you can try with colour-printed squares, but
they are all a bit dull. I used to get some curious effects after wearing
those coloured specs for 3D pictures or movies: each eye would seek
to correct the colour imbalance by tinting things the opposite shade
for several minutes after the glasses were removed.

Face staring can be especially scary because we are wired to see
faces and must carry a lot of memories. Quite why they are demonic
is a matter on which the books about perception are curiously silent.

:eek:

yeah, sorta like if you stare at a star for a long time it starts to change colors, but my grandpa said thats because its outside the earths atmosphere, or somethin like that, but of course whatever my grandpa doesn't know he makes up lol. and has anyone ever noticed that if there is a star cluster of about 8 close together starts it just looks like 2 or 3 if you stare right at it but if you look a bit away from it you can see all 8 stars form the corner of your eye. that sort of thing always confused me. but anyway, if you stare at anything long enough you can make it look like anything you want.

I tried it and not much happened.... Josh, are you sure that your mirror is not possessed? Have you tried it in another mirror yet?

Certainly, light/shade + the kind of 'reduction of the ego' techniques mentioned could have some odd effects. I have the rather irritating problem of occasional double vision (even on a weeknight) which did allow me to pretend to have 'ghost hands'. One set of images is transparent, you see...

Erm- obviously, I'm talking about in childhood here. I wouldn't sit round at work doing ghost hands that no-one else can see. Obviously.

nope i have just tried it on one mirror, but from the restults that other peopel are getting, i guess its just my imagination

Heh, just tried looking at the spot just to the side of my reflection a few times. One of the times it looked like my eyes were glowing o_o

Yeah, you can get some very weird results staring into your own eyes. I did it a few weeks ago and it really gave me the creeps. You see a different person staring back, like your soul or something...

i'm not trying it at all.
its just plain messed up.
and sometimes when i stare at myself in the mirror and start talking, it almost seems like someone else is in control its nothing what i picture myself to be like but its me. i dunno i'm weird i guess

I've done this on many occasions, sometimes as part of magic rituals. I often find that one side of my head starts to seem diproportionatly bigger than the other, even though I'm facing the mirror head on. One way to disassociate your mind (i.e. move into a semi-trance state - essential for magic rituals) is to cover your face with a cloth that's see-through (white muslin for example and stand still in front a bathroom/bedroom with a wall mounted mirror with no lights on. Sometimes I've actually felt energy come out of the mirror and into my body. Very strange. I suppose these effects have led to the magic mirror of Snow white and other myths. I have been genuinly terrified by my own reflection before, good for getting an adrenaline rush ;)

This sounds very much like a game I used to play as a kid.
I used to stare at ppl and their faces would change, firstly like the skin was melting and then other features would appear in the place of the old ones. I saw some very strange sights doing this.
I managed to teach a few others to do it as well and it soon became the game to play at school.....to see what ppl really are.

I dont think its anything magical, just your imagination and blurred vision creating images out of ideas.

Yup

Yup I often get the same thing happening, but its usually in the reflection of pictures hanging on the wall rather than mirrors

I've tried doing this before, but what usually happens is that certain parts of my face actually disappear! What I mean is that say, for instance, my left eye begins to be replaced by skin, as if it were never there! I'm sure there must be a good explanation for that...

There is - it's a blindspot caused by the optic nerve. The brain doesn't like blindspots so it fills in the space with what it thinks should be there, based on what surrounds it.

Cheers, Mr.Bingo...:) Same thing works even better with particular types of lurid evil 1970s patterned carpets! :D

Perception

In a pub in Salcombe, Devon, there used to be a picture on the wall (maybe it's still there)...

Seen from across the bar, it appeared to be the picture of a skull, but seen close up it was in fact a picture of a young woman sitting at her dressing table, which had a large, oval mirror.

I'm sure this was a deliberate 'trompe de l'oeil' effect by the artist, but it was a good illustration of how the mind can be deceived.

No go, guys.

Tried it at 7, (dark by now) but nothing happened at all. Tried again one hour later. Nothing. Another hour and a half later, I decided to try it a little bit different way, but all I got was a strange glint in the eyes of my reflection.

I said Bloody Mary thrice, five times, thirteen times, in front of a candle in the bathroom, no lights, following all the steps that I had gotten off the web page that was posted. But nothing happened.

My brother did so, but nothing happened to him. Dunno what happened... maybe I know my reflection too well, as I must confess that more than often I pretend my reflection is me, and I am someone else looking at me...

Anyways, anyone seen the Bloody Mary?

Back