• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Losing My Marbles

A

Anonymous

Has anyone ever experienced similar to the following, or am I just going mad:

Couple of weeks ago at work I had a 1 page document to show to a colleague. I hit the print icon, but waited about 10 minutes before I went to retrieve the copy (the printer is about 6 feet from my desk).

When I got to the printer there was no copy. Thinking I had not hit the print button correctly, I went back to my desk only to find the copy on my desk right in front of me. No one else could have put it there............

Then yesterday I was cooking stir fry. I had a seperate pan on for noodles, which was boiling away nicely. It was still boiling when I turned to get a dish from the cupboard behind me. When I turned back, the gas had been turned off.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

RobH2O said:
Has anyone ever experienced similar to the following, or am I just going mad:

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds like you've got a 'brownie' infestation to me!

You could try leaving a saucer of milk by the hearth at nights (it should be gold top, full cream. Don't stint!). Or perhaps, a small shirt, or a tiny pair of socks (if you want them to leave). ;)

Don't wish to alarm you, but - maybe you have short term memory loss?

That happens to me when I am under stress but it always goes away when the stressful situation is resolved. It seems to be my brain's reaction to being overloaded with worry. If it continues to happen to you for more than a week or two you should probably see a doctor... chances are good that it will stop on its own.

Mythopoeika said:
Don't wish to alarm you, but - maybe you have short term memory loss?
True. If it's not the house brownie, of hobgoblin, it could be a combination of factors, most probably stress, over work and tiredness. It's not that uncommon.

None of the above, you're just a fruit loop. :p

And when you walk into a room everyone says "See that bloke? He's a nutter!"

;)

I agree with whats being said, particularly on the info you've provided.

Nah Don't start looking for Pixies or Mental Illness, first off its more likely stress-related, illness-related, bored of the job-related, just plain fed up-related than anything else and its not always that obvious you're going through these things.

Having been in similar situations, in stressful jobs/life events, its easy to get freaked out by an event like yours, particularly if its out of character and then become hyper-vigilant and when the next one comes along you think somethings wrong.

When stressed its easy for the brain to be ruminating all sorts of crap and the body just seems to get on with what your actually meant to be doing and you don't notice it. Hence that freaky experience.

The two events were well spaced apart and don't sound that unsual to me so have a think about whats going on in your life and book yourself a decent holiday or something.

(Unless of course you've been living off a diet of 3 bottles of Vodka a day for the last 20 years then I'd worry. Or your life is totally blissful and stress-free...):D

I think the majority have hit the nail on the head with the stress suggestion, although I find Tyger Lily's suggestion an interesting concept.

A fruit loop, huh?

Of course there's always the chance that you have a split-personality, possibly multiple-personalities, and one of your other personalities 'steps in' and then you switch back to yourself...

I saw it happen in a factual film about a woman who went to a psychiatrist about missing time and he met her other personalities that she had no idea were there. Unfortunately one of them was suicidal and another one wanted to kill the real personality...

If I remember rightly there was lots of screaming trauma and a painful upheaving of long-buried and disturbing memories that she's blocked out...

Still...I'm sure you'll be fine!:D

This happens to me ALL THE TIME! I have ADHD and a pretty short attention span. Sometimes I'll completely forget where I am or what I'm doing. Often I'll experience the same types of things as you're describing. My mind will wander and I won't even realize I've done something. It's almost like lost time... It used to bother me a lot, but I've mostly gotten used to it. Still, sometimes I surprise myself!

It could just be that you were distracted and thinking about something else at the time. When you do something as a matter of routine, it would be quite easy to do it while your mind was engaged elsewhere, kind of like automatic pilot. No need to worry about that. :)

Back