• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lunar impact confirmed

naitaka

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
http://www.spacedaily.com/news/lunar-03b.html

"In the early morning hours of Nov. 15, 1953, an amateur astronomer in Oklahoma photographed what he believed to be a massive, white-hot fireball of vaporized rock rising from the center of the moon's face.

If his theory was right, Dr. Leon Stuart would be the first and only human in history to witness and document the impact of an asteroid-sized body impacting the moon's scarred exterior.

Almost a half-century, numerous space probes and six manned lunar landings later, what had become known in astronomy circles, as "Stuart's Event" was still an unproven, controversial theory.

Skeptics dismissed Stuart's data as inconclusive and claimed the flash was a result of a meteorite entering Earth's atmosphere. That is, until Dr. Bonnie J. Buratti, a scientist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, and Lane Johnson of Pomona College, Claremont, Calif., took a fresh look at the 50-year- old lunar mystery.

"Stuart's remarkable photograph of the collision gave us an excellent starting point in our search," said Buratti. "We were able to estimate the energy produced by the collision.

But we calculated that any crater resulting from the collision would have been too small to be seen by even the best Earth-based telescopes, so we looked elsewhere for proof."

Buratti and Lane's reconnaissance of the 35-kilometer (21.75- mile) wide region where the impact likely occurred led them to observations made by spacecraft orbiting the moon.

First, they dusted off photographs taken from the Lunar Orbiter spacecraft back in 1967, but none of the craters appeared a likely candidate. Then they consulted the more detailed imagery taken from the Clementine spacecraft in 1994.

"Using Stuart's photograph of the lunar flash, we estimated the object that hit the moon was approximately 20 meters

(65. 6 feet) across, and the resulting crater would be in the range of one to two kilometers (.62 to 1.24 miles) across. We were looking for fresh craters with a non- eroded appearance," Buratti said.

Part of what makes a moon crater look "fresh" is the appearance of a bluish tinge to the surface. This bluish tinge indicates lunar soil that is relatively untouched by a process called "space weathering," which reddens the soil.

Another indicator of a fresh crater is that it reflects distinctly more light than the surrounding area.

Buratti and Lane's search of images from the Clementine mission revealed a 1.5-kilometer (0.93 mile) wide crater. It had a bright blue, fresh-appearing layer of material surrounding the impact site, and it was located in the middle of Stuart's photograph of the 1953 flash. The crater's size is consistent with the energy produced by the observed flash; it has the right color and reflectance, and it is the right shape.

Having the vital statistics of Stuart's crater, Buratti and Lane calculated the energy released at impact was about .5 megatons (35 times more powerful than the Hiroshima atomic bomb). They estimate such events occur on the lunar surface once every half-century."

And how often do they estimate that similar events occur on the earth?
We are in the same orbit as the moon, give or take a cosmic stone's throw...
the earth is a bigger target, so should recieve more hits-
about five times as many if my crap math is correct
does the atmosphere protect us so well that we don't notice a half megaton impact every ten years?

there are military satellites that watch for just this sort of thing.

as it happens I believe similar impacts are supposed to have been seen on Mars
Although the red planet is very small in a telescope, and observation would be practically impossible.

I'm sure I read or heard years ago about someone witnessing a bright light on the moon, this may have been from the Middle Ages or some such time, and this phenomena being tied in more recently by astronomers with the creation of one of the lunar craters. Of course I may be completely wrong.

I read a detailed account of this sighting in 13??. It was supposed to have been verified.

Like we know everything about the moon.:hmph:

Any one remember what they were saying might have happened when the lunar lander touched down?

Originally posted by Caroline
I'm sure I read or heard years ago about someone witnessing a bright light on the moon, this may have been from the Middle Ages or some such time, and this phenomena being tied in more recently by astronomers with the creation of one of the lunar craters. Of course I may be completely wrong. [/QUOTE

The one time I read about this was in FT 105 (Jan '98) in a short sidebar to an article on transient lunar phenomena. Roughly speaking it goes as follows:

On 18 June 1178 a group of five men at Canterbury witnessed this while they were admiring the the four day old cresent moon. They observed "a flaming torch" which suddenly appeared at the lunar limb, "spewing out, over a considerable distance, fire, hot coals and sparks." The moon is then said to have taken on a blackish appearance after this.

From the dscription of the location of the "flaming torch", Jack Hartung of New York University worked out that the impact site lay at about 45N, 90E. Looking at photographs taken by spacecraft in lunar orbit, the site became obvious-a bright, fresh-looking 12 .5 mile diameter crater called Giordano Bruno, surounded by a prominent system of rays.

So that's it in a nuutshell. BTW, the account was written by a monk named Gervase who was at the monestary attatched to Canterbury Cathedral. The manuscript is preserved at the library of Trinity College, Cambridge.

Caroline said:
Like we know everything about the moon.:hmph:

Any one remember what they were saying might have happened when the lunar lander touched down?

Yes, they thought the lander might sink!

Mythopoeika said:
Yes, they thought the lander might sink!
Arthur C. Clarke ("Moondust") has a lot to answer for!

A very large body impacting the moon, on the side visible to us, would not leave the Earth untouched or unaffected.

A huge amount of ejecta would be thrown up by the impact, much of which would burn up in Earth's atmosphere as a meteor display of vintage proportions. Since this was not recorded by anyone at the time of the purported 1178 impact, it is reasonable to assume that there was some other cause.

http://uanews.opi.arizona.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/UANews.woa/wa/SRStoryDetails?ArticleID=3561

Bill Robinson

I have heard that the dusty regolith can be ten metres deep in places-
you just don't sink into it very far...( it is also supposed to contain economically valuable amounts of helium-3)

As Big Bill says the meteor showers would have been phenomenal, and according to the http://www.sciencenewsweek.com/articles/crater.htm
link
the meteor showers would still be visible today...
ah well

Regarding meteors impacting earth. It would not happen as frequently as on the moon because of the atmosphere.

There are 2 reasons for this.

Firstly many meteors are Bolides, they tend to explode in the upper atmosphere. Tunguska may be an example of a large bolide deeply penetrating the atmosphere before exploding.

Secondly, and more important, unless a meteor strikes the atmosphere at a high enough angle of incidence it will bounce off.

Emperor Zombie said:
the best and most scary bit in that dreadful film "Time Machine" is when you see the moon as rubble.

scary
Yes, well to blow up the moon you would need 29,000,000,000,000 megaton H bombs, or if you wanted to let tidal forces do the work for you, just move the Moon closer to the Earth till it is within the Roche Limit - it will just fall apart then.
This will only set you back 10,000,000 megaton H bombs.

and a lot of that material would hit the Earth.

the moon

if a very large impact occured on the moon is it possible it would shatter?
would this be as bad as the same object hitting earth,as this means lots of impacts to the earth or the remains leaving our orbit around the sun and joining the ort cloud.
come to think of it why isnt the ort cloud forming a new planet?
i thought the explanation of how planets formed would apply to this also,if gravity is holding it there why isnt it forming a planet, if it isnt holding it there why isnt it drifting away?though the gravity may be weak at that distance you would think it would at least become lumpy wouldnt you!

Well, the Oort cloud could form a new planet, but the number of collisions out there is very small- it might take so long to form a new planet that each individual smaller body evaporates first- so it might never happen.

There are larger objects in the next belt inwards from the Oort cloud, known as the Kuiper belt, though-

Quaoar and Ixion are half as big as Pluto, and there are probably objects out there as big as the Earth or bigger, although mostly made of ice.
It is just such a bloody long way away we haven't spotted them yet.

Back