• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Made me think

Elisheva said:
I think you're correct when you are discussing the order of the tosses, but 50% still applies to any individual toss. (Ah, that statistics class!)

Nevertheless, I have a story.

When I was two decades younger, I was enamoured of a certain fiction writer, and I happened to find out that he was looking to hire an assistant.

So, I sat down at my desk and dared myself to phone the man. But, I just couldn't do it.

Then, I picked up five pennies and thought "If these come up all heads, I'll call xxxx."

I tossed them, they did, I phoned, and I got the job, too.

I've never been able to throw five pennies to land all heads (or all tails) since.

Now thats a real statistics lesson. If this be true it gives a man a feeling of hope that there is someone somewhere looking out for us.

I always laugh at the saying that 89% of all statistics are untrue. hehe chortle chortle.

Re: Coin-flipping again

escargot said:
As each flip is an event in itself, the fact of guessing correctly or incorrectly the time before has no bearing on the outcome of the next time.
This was my point, which I completely ruined by managing to guess right seven times.

Who says Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern are Dead?

Dinosaur said:
I always laugh at the saying that 89% of all statistics are untrue. hehe chortle chortle.

My high school physics teacher used to use the stat:
"99% of all serial killers drank milk as a child!"
That ruined statistics for most of us for life!

TVgeek

Desperado said:
Wouldn't that be cereal?

I'll get me coat...

since u already have your coat, you may as well head round to my house

bucho

Im not religious. My mother is v. religious, catholic style. Anyways, a couple of weeks ago i was a bit pissed off/ bored so i decided to got the pub on my lonesome. I sat at the bar and had many pints in a sort of half celebrating way- i won 180 quid on the horses. Thats another story but more to do with the horse racing world being corrupt. Back to story that made me think, i was sitting at the bar ,pissed, watching telly, and occasionally talking to the drunk fellow next to me. After many hours i noticed a little jesus christ statue placed in the drinks cabinet fridge. It was facing me in the usual jesus pose with the arms open. The bar i was in was very not the type to have any religious stuff in it ( what bar is) . I said this to the guy next to me and he acted as if he didnt know what i was talking about. I was a bit drunk so decided to leave it at that , probably half scared that it wasent actually there. hehe. I know this is a bit stupid but i can remember thinking that. It made me think. Maybe its a standard joke that the bar staff play on customers. Next time im in town im going to that bar to see if that jesus is still there.

In Feb (?) 2002 my friend and I were gearing up to watch the Canada/US gold medal hockey game. Suddenly she turned to me and said "Canada's going to win it 5-2." I promptly went to my computer and emailed this prediction to 10 or 12 friends.

Sho' nuff... :shock:

Back