Major Swarms Of Insects

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score
That looks really disgusting! I guess the sea gulls don't even like them, too bad!
And so tragic about the locusts in Ethiopia and Kenya!

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure there were "millions" of moths in this New Mexico incident, but there were certainly a lot of them ...

The video illustrates how densely the moths were gathered at the site.
Millions of moths invade animal sanctuary pig pen

The owner of a New Mexico animal sanctuary said she was shocked to discover some unwanted animals had invaded her pig pen -- a massive swarm of millions of moths.

Tamara Hubbard of the Santuario De Karuna in Tijeras said she heard one of the pigs living at the sanctuary crying out in distress at night and rushed to investigate.

"I came out of the house and noticed the light was on," Hubbard told KOB-TV. "I must have inadvertently bumped it cause I don't know. I couldn't count them, a million moths."

Hubbard said there were so many moths she couldn't see the white paint on the walls.

"Oh my God we are under siege," she can be heard saying in cellphone video of the swarm. "This is bad, this is so bad, oh my God they are all over me."

Hubbard said she got the moths to disperse by shutting off the light.

Insect expert Richard Fagerlund said moths are swarming in the area due to dry weather.

"It's so dry out that they are coming out of the mountains and out of the desert because there's no rain, they are coming to town because they can sense the moisture," he said.
SOURCE (WITH VIDEO): https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...nvade-animal-sanctuary-pig-pen/6441589919235/

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score

Sgt Girth

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
In a previous role of mine, I was sitting in a runway caravan, which is essentially a greenhouse on wheels to those uninitiated with military aviation ground vehicles. As it was a scorching hot day....and I’m in a greenhouse, I had the side door wide open. As I was scanning all around (as a good runway controller should be doing) I saw what looked like a solid, undulating black mass emerge from some nearby trees. My brain couldn’t interpret what I was seeing at first until this cloud of blackness got closer. With just a second to spare I managed to quickly slam the side door shut as an enormous swarm of bees seem to completely envelope the caravan! Fortunately they didn’t linger and moved on but for that minute or so, trapped within a swarm, I was distinctly uncomfortable. Strange how my mind couldn’t compute what the hell I was looking at until it was almost too late....I shudder to think what would have happened if they had bounced off the door and into the enclosed cabin with me!

kamalktk

Antediluvian
Reaction score

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
My car was covered in ants this morning. It was just weird.
They've gone now, after I brushed them away several times throughout the day.
I'm wondering if they sensed the storm coming and were looking for shelter?

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Now the locusts are taking over cities.

June 27 (UPI) -- Local officials in India advised residents near Delhi to be on alert and close their windows as a swarm of desert locusts entered the capital Saturday.

The swarm arrived in the neighboring city of Gurugram in Haryana state, as well as the South and West districts of Delhi. The government of Haryana issued a high alert, and Delhi Environment Minister Gopal Rai called for an emergency meeting.

"All district magistrates have been advised to remain on high alert and to cooperate with the district fire department personnel for spraying prescribed pesticides/insecticides," the a Delhi advisory said.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-...overtake-Indias-capital-region/4161593279908/

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Now it's Brazil and Argentina.

Brazil and Argentina are monitoring the movements of a large swarm of locusts, which has been eating its way through crops in the region.

The insects, which can cover a distance of 150km (93 miles) in a day, have already travelled from Paraguay to Argentina and it is feared Brazil and Uruguay could be next.

Brazil has told farmers to be alert to the possible arrival of the locusts.

Kenya and India are also currently fighting locusts swarms.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-53221211

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
The mob molecule.

Locusts are usually harmless loners. But together, they become plagues.

When conditions are right, solitary locusts begin congregating and transmogrifying into their “gregarious” form, becoming a bigger, more aggressive eating machine. These groups can grow into ever-larger conglomerations, potentially hundreds of millions strong, that cross continents and destroy crops. A swarm of desert locusts (Schistocerca gregaria) the size of Rome consumes as much food in a day as all the people in Kenya. This year, East Africa is experiencing its worst locust plague in decades.

Now, scientists have pinpointed a compound emitted by congregating locusts that might explain how individuals of one widespread species overcome their innate aversion to socializing. The finding, described August 12 in Nature, could inform new ways of controlling or preventing locust swarms, potentially by attracting the insects with their own scents.

“It’s a significant and exciting study,” says Baldwyn Torto, a chemical ecologist at the International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology in Nairobi, Kenya who wasn’t involved in the study. “We don’t have great ways of baiting locusts. This [compound] has potential.” ...

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/locust-swarms-pheromones-pest-control