• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Man has green sweat

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Green sweat puzzles Chinese doctors

A Chinese man has been seeking medical help after his sweat turned green.

The man from Guangzhou first noticed the problem while moving furniture with a friend.

He claims bright green liquid began pouring down his arms and forehead.

But so far doctors have been left puzzled by the appearance of coloured sweat. Their only theory so far is that the condition may be caused by a mystery parasite inside the patient's body.

The Southern Metropolitan News quotes a doctor at the Guangzhou Friendship Hospital saying he had read of cases of red and blue sweat in ancient medical books but never green sweat.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_980075.html

I don't post Ananova reports anymore without another backup report that isn't derived from them and this seems to confirm it from another source:

Green sweat a riddle

June 4, 2004 - 3:52PM

Doctors in southern China are baffled by a man whose sweat is green, according to a newspaper report.

The man, from Guangzhou, Guangdong province, sought help after discovering his white tee-shirts were turning green under the arms within a few minutes of him putting them on.

Doctors were unable to find a cause for the green sweat, which they believe is a medical first, and think it may be caused by a parasite in his body, the Hong Kong edition of the China Daily reported.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/04/1086203617873.html

Soooooooo does anyone know of the coloured sweat they refer to above?

Emps

Blue sweat

Well as I enjoy answering my own questions:

bloody sweat, hematidrosis.

blue sweat, chromhidrosis in which the sweat has a blue color; it may occur in copper workers.

green sweat, a greenish sweating seen among workers in copper.

link

Weirdly (as I posted a report on people dying after exposure to WTC rubble it appears that blue sweat has been reported from there:

link

link

and there is a lot of weirdness in those threads to do with L Ron Hubbard and detoxifying fire fighters from WTC- start here and press next topic:

link

BLUE SWEAT

The first rescue workers started the program on September 28, 2002. From the beginning, it was apparent that the program was causing changes. "One of the men was in the sauna, and he touched his towel to his skin and it turned blue." said Dr. Dahlgren. "His sweat was really blue, a bright blue color. We cut out a section of the towel and sent it to the laboratory for analysis, and it came back with very high levels of manganese and other metals, too."

The finding had considerable interest for Dr. Dahlgren. "Manganese is present in structural steel—about three percent of the steel is manganese," he said. "So when the Trade Towers came down, they undoubtedly exposed people to manganese vapor and dust. Manganese has some interesting characteristics—it causes a disease identical to Parkinson's that usually ends up appearing anywhere from 5 to 10 years after the exposure."

To date, more than 50 rescue workers—including more than 30 firefighters—have completed the program. {I was number 123- Rhio} Clients continue to relate a variety of manifestations to clinic director Jim Woodworth. "Men have come in to tell me their bowel movements have been green or blue, or smelled like smoke. Some have had black paste coming out of the pores of their skin in the sauna. Their sweat has stained towels purple, blue, orange, yellow and black." he said.

"One client complained that he could taste soot from the site in his sweat in his mouth." said Woodworth. "We collected about two tablespoons of his sweat and held it up to the light. There were millions of tiny bits of dust—you could see it with the naked eye; his sweat was grey."

"We're interested in capturing and analyzing these substances," said Arlene Rich, treatment supervisor at Downtown Medical. "But right now the main focus is addressing the complaints that come consistently from those who arrive for treatment—shortness of breath, cough, headache, unrelenting fatigue, inability to sleep, acid reflux, skin rash, joint pain, memory loss, and extreme irritability, among other symptons. We've had very encouraging results with all of these problems."

link

5/11/95 Zhu Lingling started having diarrhea and blue sweat.
Drs. Hamilton & Hoffman responded that "the thallium is
being excreted in the feces with the Prussian Blue, therefore
nothing should be done to slow her stool output. If she
becomes constipated, she may reabsorb the thallium from her
GI tract. The blue sweat is harmless."

link

Emps

Red/pink sweat

Reddening of sweat, especially in the axilla, due to pigment produced by Streptomyces roseofulvis.

See: chromidrosis.

http://www.books.md/R/dic/redsweat.php

Chromhidrosis or the production of coloured sweat is a rare clinical finding. A 26-year-old female presented with marked pink staining of her uniform and lingerie. Extractions of clothing, skin surface samples, eccrine sebum, urine and a fast food product were spectrophotometrically analysed to identify the pink staining pigment. Three water-soluble colouring agents have been idenfified. An eccrine route of excretion probably produced chromhidrosis. An overview is presented.

link

The paper (I believe) discusses coloured sweat.

Background: Chromhidrosis is an extremely rare condition characterized by intensely colored sweat, mostly secondary to colored apocrine secretions. Chromhidrosis is a localized disease of apocrine-bearing skin, affecting the face, axillae, or areola. Approximately 10% of people without the disease have yellow, blue, or green sweat that is regarded as acceptable and within the normal range.

http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic596.htm

SWEAT
Even human sweat can be coloured! Chromhidrosis is the name given to this condition in which the sweat excreted is tinged with a pigment. The causes can be varied and include: the ingestion or absorption of certain substances such as pigment-producing bacteria, or certain disorders of metabolism. The hue-tinged sweating is localised in the eyelids, breasts, underarms, genitals, occasionally on hands or limbs. It is greyish, bluish, violaceous, brownish; it collects on the skin, giving a greasy, powdery appearance to the area.
Red sweat (which occurs in the condition known as hematidrosis) indicates that the sweat contains blood. It may be due to the exudation of blood into the sweat glands or to the presence of microorganisms in those glands.

http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanherald/july26/liv5.asp

And it doesn't seem to be related to the hippo sweat reported elsewhere.

Emps

Re the manganese, it's worth bearing in mind that many metal salts can appear white or pale when in fine powder form, but take on a vivid colour when wet (they sometimes demonstrate this in school science with copper sulphate).

It's possible that the guy had a dusting with this type of powder, and it only showed coloured when he got in the steamroom?

No idea how viable that is as a theory, but it's technically possible.

The funny taste in the mouth seems to be a characteristic of metals in the body too, at least I've heard of it being reported by people taking lithium, and bigtime with chemotherapy (which can be metal based).

Strange timing - last Friday evening - I was walking through Reading with my wife - and I saw a Green man!

It was most strange - he had a light yellowy green hue all over his face.

It wasn't jaundice yellow - more the sort of colour a person would be made to look on a bad sit-com if they were sea sick.

He had working clothes on - and so we presumed that he had been doing some manual work which involved green dust (!?!?).

In light of this, perhaps it was sweat? It was very hot on Friday evening - I can remember this specifically as I nearly passed out as my wife dragged me to just one more shop before I was allowed to settle down to a decent beer....

Green and Red Urine

Urologists are said to spend to spend the week after Christmas fending off calls from panicked individuals reporting that their urine has suddenly turned red or green. What does it mean? Is it....fatal?

What it means is that the caller has been eating too much Christmas candy and the body is harmlessly excreting the food dyes.

(I sometimes experience this reaction from beets and/or red soda pop.)

People who go onto exclusively yellow vegetable diets sometimes report their skin turning bright yellow. (This is also harmless.) I would imagine that their sweat may also be yellow under those circumstances.

Back