• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Man Kills Lion With Dead Wife

A

Anonymous

Tanzanian police have vowed to act after a villager laced with poison his wife's remains to catch a killer lion.
Police told the BBC they will wipe out the rogue lions that are terrorising villages in the southern Lindi area.

When Selemani Ngongwechile found his wife's half-eaten body, he calmly poisoned it, knowing the lion would return for the rest of its "meal".

His plan worked, killing the lion, but the police say they will use more orthodox methods.

Lindi local police chief Simon Dau told the BBC that "a few" lions remained in the area.

After killing Somoe Abdallah near her home and eating her legs, the lion might have gone for a drink, he said.

This is when Mr Ngongwechile found her remains hidden in a bush.

But instead of panicking, he put the poison in her corpse and waited inside his house for the lion to return, before informing the authorities.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3808735.stm

You've got to love the African sense of pragmatism :p

I have to wonder why he was carrying around enough poison to kill a lion.

i thought that maybe he killed his wife in order to use the corpse to kill a lion, by giving it a good whack on the head perhaps.

Am I being cynical, but alternative scenario:

1. Man poisons wife

2. Dumps body in bush hoping that it will be eaten by predators/scavengers

3. Comes back later to find half-eaten ex-wife and dead lion

4. Quick thinking enables him to put spin on story that will convince not too bright local cops.

Good thinking Timble, but I think a post mortem would reveal the truth.

I still want to know why had enough posion around to kill a lion, if the poor lion stepped out to quench his thrist for a minute would the guy really have enough time to run out, find a sufficient quantity of poison, come back (all this before the lion finished his drink mind you) calmly poison the remains of his wife, and run and hide, wait for the lion to come back, then celebrate his new status as a mighty lion-killer. I'm sure his new found fame would make it easy for him to pick up a new wife, maybe a younger prettier one. This whole things smacks of high strangeness to me. I thought Lions usually brought the food back to their pad to finish off the meal (or is that just what I was led to believe by too many Disney documentaries in my childhood? "look mommy, those lions are protecting that zebra while he's sleeping!") I'd like to hear more about the lion attacks in the area, the article is not very specific about the nature of the attacks. I thought that lions attacking people was a really rare occurance? Shouldn't we have heard of it if it was happening? Wasn't there a movie with Val Kilmer about a famous instance of lion attacks?

Timble said:
Am I being cynical, but alternative scenario:

1. Man poisons wife

2. Dumps body in bush hoping that it will be eaten by predators/scavengers

3. Comes back later to find half-eaten ex-wife and dead lion

4. Quick thinking enables him to put spin on story that will convince not too bright local cops.

sounds a lot more likely to me.

I think it'd be easy to tell the difference... if she was poisoned, the poison would be in her stomach/bloodstream/innards/etc. If she was poisoned as bait, it'd be more of a, um, topical thing.

:cross eye

How does one poison a half-eaten corpse? Why am I asking this, I don't want to know. :cross eye

Fantastic headline!

I'm sure there is some twisted genius hidden away in this story, kinda like 'Lamb to the Slaughter' gone awry ;)

Piscez said:
How does one poison a half-eaten corpse? Why am I asking this, I don't want to know. :cross eye

Well, in my experience, its no good just sprinkling it onto the surface, you need to really rub it well into the skin otherwise it won't... umm

Piscez said:
I think it'd be easy to tell the difference... if she was poisoned, the poison would be in her stomach/bloodstream/innards/etc. If she was poisoned as bait, it'd be more of a, um, topical thing.

Thats the point I was making!

Piscez said:
You wouldn't need to poison the poor woman. You could bludgeon here to death or something similar, knife stab, bullet wound (although more problematic). Then leave the body out in the bush for the vultures to remove any sign of the wound. The fact she was found by a lion makes it even better, add poison to body, wait for lion to return and hey presto there's your murderer.

Let's see Inspector Morse solve that one.

Back