• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Man's stomach falls out in garden

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Man's stomach 'fell out' after op

Mr Sternat had undergone a stomach operation
A man recovering from a stomach operation had to be rushed back into hospital after his innards "fell out" when his wound burst.
George Sternat, of Cairns, Australia, had just had surgical staples removed from his abdomen.

Cancer patient Mr Sternat was relaxing in his garden when he screamed out in pain, the AFP news agency reported.

His partner Cheryl Orme said he shouted: "Get the ambulance, my stomach fell out."

Every time I try to sleep I see George holding his stomach in his hands

Cheryl Orme
Mr Sternats had undergone the operation earlier this month to remove cancerous tumours from his abdomen.

The wound was closed with medical staples.

Doctors removed the staples on Wednesday morning and Mr Sternats returned home.

Stable condition

When his wound burst open, Mr Sternats wrapped a towel around himself to hold his stomach in while his partner called an ambulance.

She said: "They wanted to know if he had pains in his chest and I screamed at them 'His stomach fell out, he just got staples out from a cancer operation'.

"What more can you say when your man's stomach's hanging out? Isn't that enough for them to come straight away?"

Following his re-admittance to hospital, Mr Sternats was reported to be in stable condition but Ms Orme said she planned to sue health authorities for negligence in removing the staples too soon.

She added: "It's the most horrific thing I've ever seen, especially with someone you love.

"Every time I try to sleep I see George holding his stomach in his hands."

A spokeswoman for the Royal College of Surgeons of England told BBC News Online: "Operations should be carried out so that does not happen."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3673031.stm

This has a very definite 'oh sh*t' factor to it.

"A spokeswoman for the Royal College of Surgeons of England told BBC News Online: "Operations should be carried out so that does not happen."

No Shit

The Royal College of Surgeons of England??

They're not going to blame us for that too, are they?

Nearly three years ago I had an op that required the top of my head to be stuck back together with 41 surgical staples. They were removed two weeks afterwards, but for a least another month I was too scared to frown in case my eyebrows were suddenly resting on my nose....

Word of advice- If you've got surgical staples, stay indoors on hot days, they act as one hell of an efficient heat-sink.
Ow!!

Had staples in an incision very low down on the groin, got infected, also had internal bleeding there, guess where all the blood drained to ?..........yes lads you too can have a sac the same size as a honeydew melon.......................my gp said "it could be worse, I've seen it the size of a watermelon" !!!!!!!!:cross eye

B]you too can have a sac the same size as a honeydew melon[/B]

Is this a case of "Take away the pain and leave the swelling"???? You could audition as Buster Gonad aka VIZ!!!![

Michael Watson said:
no, believe me the pain was there:cross eye

Orchitis, been there, done that...

Orchitis is an inflammation of one or both testis, accompanied by swelling, pain, fever, and a sensation of heaviness in the affected area.

Pete Younger said:
a sensation of heaviness in the affected area.

Well, of course, there's always that sensation...;)
Joking aside this thread warrants an all-round *ouch* and :cross eye

Michael Watson said:
yes lads you too can have a sac the same size as a honeydew melon.......................my gp said "it could be worse, I've seen it the size of a watermelon" !!!!!!!!:cross eye

I've seen those kind of photos - looks like the poor chaps concerned are riding a space-hopper they can never dismount. :(

Was off work for six weeks. Was back at work driving two days after breaking my collarbone!

stonedoggy said:
Pete :glum:

am still speechless..... Kath

You would be Kath, if you could experience it, but then I wouldn't care to go through childbirth, I understand that can be a quite a niggling pain.

My Uncle once fired an upholstery stapel gun into my Dads head for a joke (when they were both teenagers). He had to prize the stapel out of his skull with a butter knife!:cross eye
I don't think hospitals came into it much before the NHS was founded - when my Dad broke his arm as a child he was sent to bed and only taken to the doctors the next day.

You would be Kath, if you could experience it

have nursed somone with it... that was quite close enough thanks :D

Kath

PS have another :likee:

Owee, Michael, that must have been horrendous! You poor thing. :( Let me add another :glum:

Michael Watson said:
Had staples in an incision very low down on the groin, got infected, also had internal bleeding there, guess where all the blood drained to ?..........yes lads you too can have a sac the same size as a honeydew melon.......................my gp said "it could be worse, I've seen it the size of a watermelon" !!!!!!!!:cross eye

Ouch - I saw something on TV the other night (possibly on World of Pain) where they indluged in some S&M thing and filled the guy's scrotum with an awful lot of saline solution and that looked pretty damn unpleasant but I don't think it got to quite those dimensions!! That said my father claims to have seen a picture in National Geographic of a man with elephantitis who had to transport his enourmous sack in a wheelbarrow (and I'm sure Roten has pictures of them up to basketball size).

I assume trousers were out of the question - in fact there are a number of questions about the practicality of such a things but I think we should leave you with some diginity ;)

Emps

a man with elephantitis.....

not wishing to be pedantic but the correct term is elephantiasis.

There was a young man from Devizes
Whose balls were off different sizes.......:D

Back