• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Meditation: Do you?

A

Anonymous

And if you do, how and why?
Do you find it useful?
Do you consider it empowering?
Do you use it to relax?

I meditate because it gives me wacky lucid dreams while I'm still awake. I do it by controlling my breathing until it becomes very shallow and my heart slows down a fair bit.

I find it useful if I'm bored. I wouldn't ever pretend there was any great spiritual significance in anything that I see, just weird stuff (talking animals, flying etc).

Erm.. no, I don't find it empowering.

It is certainly relaxing, once you get past the initial head rushes brought on by lack of oxygen! Although, I wouldn't recommend using this method too much, as it has the annoying habit of giving you a headache in the morning.

Oh definately it is certainly an extremely good and efficent de-stresser indeed. It is totally calming and I find that it helps with headaches and concentration as well.

Empowering, yes I beleive it is, it lets you get moe in tuen with your own body and conciousness and your surroundings.

I've meditated for years. I find that it helps calm me. I'm not doing anything particularly spititual.

:)

Cujo

Yeah, I just sit and breathe deeply while counting the breaths. It's ok I suppose; no fireworks but it maybe makes you a little calmer, and a bit less like a machine - less at the mercy of whatever thoughts happen come into my head.

I started properly late last year. A blossoming interest in Chaos Magick led me to try it. I feel it is a very basic, easy, free, legal technique which has a variety of beneficial uses.

I am by no means an expert (where's nettinetti?), but I'd recommend it to anyone. I began with a loose idea of what I wanted to achieve and how to go about it. As an advocate of the Chaos appraoch to life, I'd say don't get caught up in any kind of dogma, just do what feels right. It's the results that matter.

I'm trying to use it as a first step to expanded consciousness/spiritual awakening, whatever. But if you're using it to just trip out ... cool. Tweak that reality! It's interesting to see what the mind comes up with when it feeds back on itself...

I do it.

before I get into a hypnogogic state at night, I usually try to do some relaxation exercises. Once I have that done, I concentrate on emtying my mind completely.

I find it helps me with clarity of thought.

LD

I do; it helps me get to sleep... or rest when I can't.

I do it to try and encourage my immune system when I get a cold. It seems to work especially well against sore throats. Not falling asleep is the difficult bit.

For two years I have been practicing Falun Gong (also known as Falun Dafa), which is a cultivation system with five qigong-style exercises, one of which is a meditation. When I first sat down to try meditating, I found it almost impossible – my body hurt from the posture and I could not achieve a tranquil mind. Just as I would begin to feel a little peaceful, thoughts about college work or some kind of personal problem or conflict would interfere and I would feel restless and often get up and end the exercise.

By studying the principles of Falun Gong, and by gradually learning to take things like personal losses and gains a little more lightly, I find that I can achieve stillness when I meditate, which is a very comfortable and wonderful feeling. When I end the exercise I feel refreshed, energised and peaceful.

I have attached a photo, which I thought some people might find interesting. It is a picture of a Falun Gong practitioner in the process of making the hand signs that precede the meditation.

Yep.
I meditate when I can, particulary in times of stress.

When things used to get mental at work I would go and sit in the bathroom for 10 minutes to meditate and calm down.

It makes you feel calm enough to be able to make rational decisions when you are really angry or stressed.

I've started to do yoga three times a week now also which helps everything!

I meditate quite often.
Does anyone else feel when they meditate like there is a river of feelings surrounding their body and that they can push their tiredness or their problems into it so that they are simply washed away. I,ve tried describing this to people and they look at me like I,m strange so please reassure me I,m not.

I do something called the Microcosmic Orbit Meditation, which I got from the practice of Bone Marrow Nei Kong. It involves gathering your chi at your Dan Tien, and then circulating it through your system. It is amazing!
I find it extremely useful. Nothing can make me feel so calm and centered.
It is unbelievably empowering. I never knew such things existed in this beautiful world of ours.
I use it to relax, center myself, and take care of my health.
-andi

I generally meditate after working-out,
I used to use it to control anger or stress, but I don't really suffer from either now, so I use it to pull down my heart rate and clear my head of negative thoughts and emotions

So full stretch and muscle compression first then, breath control in conjunction with visualisation

Back