• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mental Illness

Yup Dino, people are so hard to understand!
We all know someone who is killing themself and hurting others with behaviour which to us looks self-indulgent.

I think in the end we have to walk away- save ourselves.
Getting involved is harmful to us and wastes our energy.

You are doing the right thing by distancing yourself.
Can't win'em all.

I love my friend dearly and would support any effort she made to change (and like your friend, she says she wants to) but we can't do it for them. All we can do is offer support.

escargot said:
I love my friend dearly and would support any effort she made to change (and like your friend, she says she wants to) but we can't do it for them. All we can do is offer support.

My friend dont wanna change or so he says.
TBH Im sick of talking about him now :hmph:
I think ive now got a clue on what other people and religions think about mental illness- which is why I started this thread.
Good old FT board, dont u just love it :)

I suffer, periodically, from depression.

When I'm 'up', I don't need help or guidance from anyone else.

When I'm 'down', I don't want it - even although I need it.

Unfortunately, when I'm 'down', people (family andfriends) remember me saying that I'm OK and don't need company/help/conversation - but that was a different person, that was the 'up' me.

When I'm 'up', I want the 'down' me to vanish without trace - and when I'm down, I'm afraid I just wallow in it, seemingly incapable of changing anything. I suspect that affirmative action by the 'up' me would banish the 'down' me forever - but the 'up' me doesn't care, because 'down' isn't going to happen again......

And the 'down' me doesn't care, really....

And currently, I'm joining in with the last line of 'The Grand Old Duke Of York' :D

I know the feeling, Derek - or rather, I know both feelings!

It's a right bugger.

Yes, us depressives have to dragged by the hair to the doctors usually. And yet I'm told that if an alcoholic refuses your help, you should leave them to it, as continually bailing them out enables them to carry on. They have to reach rock bottom before they admit to themselves they need help. Presumably this would hold true for drug addicts too.

Back