• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mokele-Mbembe Picture: Your Views

TorgosPizza said:
I'm not sure such a beast exists, though; if the natives can't agree on a description, that strikes me as odd. Furthermore, native cultures invariably include impossible beasts in their mythos. This isn't to say a dinosaur isn't running around the Congo, but that natives often talk bull$#!+ and lots of it.

Torgos, the only time i have seen a substantial difference in description of the MM was after the picture of the Rhino swimming in the water was released to the public. As i said previously the skeptics had a field day with this and it would not surprise me if the program showing the natives identifying the Rhino was made by de-bunkers. We must remember that these programs are not only made by people that want to prove the existence of these creatures, some are made purposely to de-bunk the claims and ridicule anyone that takes a serious interest in the subject.
As previously stated only 20% of the Congo has been explored by westerners, to have the cheek to claim that the human race has mapped every large creature in the Congo by only exploring a 5th of the place is ludicrous although it seems to be widely accepted by skeptics.

Take a look at this webpage on skepdic.com

http://skepdic.com/mokele.html

True, and it seems unlikely the creature exists, since there would have to be a significant number of the huge creatures to continue to produce descendents after all other dinosaurs were extinguished some 70 million years ago. Yet, they seem to have flourished without leaving a single carcass, bone fragment, or fossil.

Dinosaurs are large, occupied the third of the earth mostly visible to its other inhabitants, and thus would be much more likely to be detected than the coelacanth.

The problem with skeptics is they tend to ignore facts that may contradict what they want people to believe.
The Quote about the carcass and fossils is stupid as the location that these would be in is unexplored and untouched by man, how are we suppose to find something if we aren't looking for it? Its just like the whole Bigfoot claims of if they were there wed see them more often. Most of the people who write dismissing crap like this probably haven't even ventured into their local park let alone a wild dangerous animal infested jungle unmapped by man. Lets face it, its not as if there is a MacDonald's in the jungle.

Torgo, you also added native cultures invariably include impossible beasts in their mythos, true but considering that this creature that the pygmies mention has been talked about for over 200 years (before westerners knew about dinosaurs) and pygmies aren't exactly archeologists and I don't see them piecing together a fossil they have found and coming up with some creature. Coincidence? maybe but a lot of reports coming from the pygmies have said these creatures leave 3 toe footprints, and considering saurapods had 3 toes id say this is an integral point to consider when we think of the possibility of a MM existing.
Also id like to point out also that it is the pygmies who first told western explorers about the "dark man who lives in the trees" Early reports where contradicting also, some would say it walked on two legs and others would say it had mystical powers but in the end it turned out to be an ordinary Gorilla. Dont be too quick to dismiss native legends and facts on unknown creatures, unlike us arm chair cryptozoologists these natives lives rely on them knowing all the ins and outs of their environment and the creatures that inhabit them, i would think that it would be in their best interest not to fill their heads of make believe creatures, sure they have superstitions connected to these animals but just because people think "if a black cat walks in your path it gives you bad luck" and we can disprove this is the case its hardly suitable cause to consider the existence of a black cat. Behind every legend lies some truth, i feel there is something behind the MM, there is just to strong a case to dismiss it.

TorgosPizza said:
Tang, I'm not sure why you're rubbing people the wrong way, pal; every time you post, it seems like someone takes a shot at you. What's up with that, anyway? I mean, it could be the most normal, innocent post; then, suddenly, boom the fireworks start. Do you have a target on your back?

Yeah Torgo, im trying not to let it bother me but i must say i feel let down by the Moderators in this case. I was flamed for opening a cryptozoology thread in the cryptozoology section in a fortean related message board. If this isn't a suitable place to post such a thread i don't know where is, but on saying that i would like to thank the members who have stuck by me and kept me from blowing my top by sending me PMs full of great advice, thanks guys. You know who you are ;)
Also a big thanks to Evil Sprout for doing his best and succeeding in preventing this thread turning into a flame pit. Thanks man

Anyways thats my long post over, pick it apart guys as im sure ive made some mistakes as i got 4 hours sleep last night and i am a bit dizzy to say the least.

TM

Some evidence to why you should listen to local natives:

Tara, who is from Kilkenny but now lives in Portstewart, County Londonderry said: "When I first went to Mauritania, the local people told me about the crocodiles that lived in the small rock pools and caves.

"Initially I didn't believe them, as it seemed impossible - and there had never been any record of crocodiles in this part of the country.

"But when I went in search for the animals myself, I realized that what they were saying was true."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/northern_ireland/newsid_1926000/1926198.stm

Mokele Mbembe Pic

I am certain that the pic at the start of this thread appeared in the print edition of FT some time ago and was used to illustrate an article by Sian Hall on the Monster of Howarth Falls in South Africa.

Another 'from memory' post...

I seem to remember seeing the photo in a Discovery Channel/ Nat Geo Channel (I forget which) program. I was a polaroid of all things! Polaroids, being of the nature they are, frequnetly look odd, since the colours shift with the age of the film and get worse with age (think technicolor shifts and dark blue Darth Vaders to get the idea) I'm really now not sure that the image was used to illustrate the Howarth Falls monster of not... but its interesting that there is a parallel legend in SA to that of Mokele-mbembe.

8¬)

Your views?

Firstly: Great site, and an excellent forum too!

Was browsing round a load of fort type stuff today as usual and ended up at this site:

http://www.mokelembembe.com/

basically saying that he believes that there are living dinasours in the african congo.

sounds a bit rare.. but plausable? :blah:

mokele-mbembe.jpeg

Would love to believe it all..

Bump

"Your Views" thread merged with existing mokele-mbembe thread.

New Mokele-mbembe Expedition Departs

The latest expedition to search for the “dinosaurlike” cryptids known by African natives as mokele-mbembe has departed. Milt Marcy, Peter Beach and Rob Mullin left Portland, Oregon for Cameroon on January 10, 2005. They will be teaming up with Pierre Sima to conduct the next phase of the cryptozoological research on the Congo/Cameroon border.

The Milt Marcy Expedition is the fourth such trek to Africa, with the three before this one being lead by William Gibbons. Marcy is an insurance broker (Milt Marcy Insurance) in Portland, Oregon, who has funded the last three expeditions, and will be participating in this one himself as Gibbons cannot go.

The four expeditions have been greatly assisted by the cryptozoology-friendly government of Cameroon (they received all their official documents quickly). Furthermore, Pierre Sima has collected several new reports of Mokele-mbembe activity in the river system which borders the Congo Republic. Ed Holdroyd, an atmospheric scientist, has also helped the expedition by providing some superb high resolution satellite photographs of an undisclosed area of the river system where Gibbons, Marcy, and all believe the animals are currently active.

Through a combination of field expeditions, recons by
Pierre Sima, native reports and the satellite images, the Milt Marcy Expedition feel that they can now track the migration patterns of mokele-mbembe much more effectively.

The CryptoZoo News will update with reports we receive coming from the field for Cryptomundo readers. Check back.
source >> http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-ne ... xpedition/

It could be a water loving rhino.

they have three toes

and imagine how odd one would look in the water, (particularly if you arent used to rhinos swimming.)

very cool!! :D

i liked this guys Idea , that posted at cryptomundo-

In today’s world of cheap photographic technology (whether “traditional” film or digital), why don’t these researchers/explorers hand out cameras to every single person they can within the villages where these sightings take place? For $1500, you can get 500 disposable Kodaks online.

The news of the alleged sightings is interesting, but would be much better received if there were actual photos of what had been seen. Has there ever been a decent-looking (however one chooses to define that…) picture of a Mokele-mbembe? If so, could someone direct me to where I might find it online? posted: by jjames1

ruffready said:
very cool!! :D

i liked this guys Idea , that posted at cryptomundo-

In today’s world of cheap photographic technology (whether “traditional” film or digital), why don’t these researchers/explorers hand out cameras to every single person they can within the villages where these sightings take place? For $1500, you can get 500 disposable Kodaks online.

The news of the alleged sightings is interesting, but would be much better received if there were actual photos of what had been seen. Has there ever been a decent-looking (however one chooses to define that…) picture of a Mokele-mbembe? If so, could someone direct me to where I might find it online? posted: by jjames1

Isnt it funny that a plausible idea such as this will likely never happen?

Well, there is also a reply from one of the people on the expedition. Mentioning how the people in the area aren't used to operating anything complicated and probably wouldn't know how to use a camera.

Also the natives of the area do not understand the white-mans interest in such a creature. The concept of photographing animals for research and scientific purposes is alien to them. It doesn't mean they are stupid, just that to them, proving whether the Mokele-mbembe exists or not does not figure at all in their everyday lives. To them it is a nuisance, and the idea of a reward is also pointless as there are still some places in the world where money is useless. There is nothing to buy in the middle of a jungle swamp.

Well, there is also a reply from one of the people on the expedition. Mentioning how the people in the area aren't used to operating anything complicated and probably wouldn't know how to use a camera.
This calls to mind a scene in "George of the Jungle."

Lyle (villian of the movie, typical condescending white explorer/ugly American, trying to buy favor with the locals by showing them a lighter and an instant camera): "There you go, my man. Huh? You like magic fire? Do ya? Well, get a load of this--there you go--magic picture. Yet another gift from America."

One of the porters responds in the native language and Lyle asks the guide Kwame for a translation.

Kwame: "He says that he likes your magic pictures... but he prefers the resolution of the Leica 35 millimetre transparencies."

(Of course I'm not implying that there is any resemblence between Lyle and anyone on the Mokele-mbembe expedition. Good luck, guys!)

Back