• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Moon / Lunar Visual Phenomena (Halo, Ring, etc.)

_schnor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
It's called a lunar halo, and some pictures are here, here and here.

I saw it coming back from the pub last night. Very pretty :)

For a google image search on Lunar Halos click here.

Schnor, those moon halo pics are beautiful! I can stand and watch such a moon for ages.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a lunar halo once, many years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a red moon story, but a moon story anyway...
A few years ago (at least) I was walking home from the pub in the early hours of a freezing January morning, the moon was full, and had the strangest halo I've ever seen, like the moon was the centre of a star of David, 6 perfect equilateral traingles surrounding the moon. I put it down to ice crystals in the atmosphere, ice having a hexagonal crystaline structure (as seen in snowflakes). I'd forgotten all about it but remembered when I read this thread.

I've seen a halo round the moon.
On another occasion, on a sunny day, I saw an oval ring in the sky (caused by ice in the upper atmosphere).

If anyone in Oxford or surrounding area cares to poke their head out of the door right about now, there's an absolutely huge halo around the moon, with various rainbow colours in it. I tried to take some phots but I'm not sure they came out well.

H_James said:
If anyone in Oxford or surrounding area cares to poke their head out of the door right about now, there's an absolutely huge halo around the moon, with various rainbow colours in it
I wonder if that's partly due to the smoke from the Hertfordshire oil depot fire?

But weather conditions are right just now for upper atmosphere ice crystals, so it could be just that.

Good halo here in Cornwall too.

I saw a moon halo on Tuesday over Cardiff.

There was a noticable amount of ice crystals in the upper atmosphere.

Talking of Global Warming... took this photograph of the 'waxing' Moon on the night (19:15 pm) of the 15th March. The reason I took this photograph was because the Moon was ringed with rings of differing colours not just light halo's.
In particular there was a green/yellow ring, which I'd never seen before. Thinking what could/would have caused this ring to be a green colour, I thought it might be something to do with algae? I asked the question on the internet "can algae live/grow and be carried within water droplet's high up our atmosphere," but couldn't find any reports on whether there was an answer/studies to be had from that question!

Attachments

• Moon Shot on Friday night at 19.15.JPG
    Moon Shot on Friday night at 19.15.JPG
    434.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Back