• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings" - KV5: The

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
A great story:

A pharaoh to remember

It's not often you find the grave of a god. Tim Radford on the mapmakers transforming Egyptology

Thursday November 4, 2004
The Guardian

Kent Weeks, the American archaeologist charged with planning the rescue of the Valley of the Kings originally went to Egypt to make a map. While there, he poked around in a dirty, unimportant-looking hole in the ground and discovered the biggest tomb in the Valley of the Kings. In doing so, he secured a place for himself in the history of archaeology.

Weeks's career began in Nubia in the 1960s, salvaging stuff about to be submerged by the Aswan Dam, and at Giza and in the Nile delta. But it was in 1979 that he and his colleagues decided to make an accurate map of the 60-odd tombs in the Valley of the Kings. The earliest maps had been little more than fantasies: no accurate study of the whole valley had ever been done. He thought it would take a few seasons. "I'm always a hopeless optimist. I don't know where on earth I ever got that silly idea," he says. "And 20 years later, the project was finished."

He began with theodolites, bulky electronic measuring equipment and draughtsmen, and ended with computerised technology that could have done the job - had they waited - in five years. It took 20 years because they decided to make sure the details were right.

"The tombs were so much more carefully dug than I had anticipated they would be, so it required a lot more detailed surveying to reflect the care that the ancient engineers took," Weeks recalls.

"The difficulty is accurately showing the precision of the angles at the corner. We wanted to go in there and take a few taped measurements and assume that every corner was a 90 angle. We could have probably knocked off a tomb in a week. But as it turned out we couldn't, because there were some potentially significant differences: angles in a tomb might be consistently 85 rather than 90. That's an interesting point, in itself. Did the man doing this have a carpenter's square that was 5 off and he kept using it throughout the tomb? Why the consistency of the error?"

Then Weeks looked at a nondescript tomb under threat from a tourist car park: the tomb was KV5, known for more than a century. "It was thought to have two or three small rooms. It was thought to be uninscribed. It was thought to be filled with debris, to have been robbed and to have no objects of any kind in it: undecorated, unimportant, uninteresting, unnecessary to save," he says.

He argued that even an unimportant tomb deserved a closer look. It had been choked by boulders, gravel, silt and other debris washed in by at least 11 flash floods in 30 centuries. In 1989, he and his team crawled into the tiny space that survived between the rubble and the ceiling, and discovered on the walls the names of some of the sons of Rameses II. This is the pharaoh traditionally linked to the story of Moses; known to the poet Shelley as Ozymandias. Rameses II reigned for 67 years, and had 49 officially recognised sons.

The tomb took on a new importance. Excavation in those circumstances is not something you can do with a pickaxe and a jackhammer. Imagine, he says, a modern office, suddenly filled with concrete, and you want to excavate it and still find the calendars on the walls and the executive toys and the in-tray on the desk, all in the right place: you take your time and get it right. It took five years to excavate the first chambers, and they found very little. In February 1995, the researchers wondered if they might be wasting their time.

"So we began crawling through the debris, in a sense leapfrogging over many chambers, crawling through them, above the debris that filled them, without exposing their walls, just to get an idea of the extent of the tomb. And it was at that point that we found a doorway on the back wall of one chamber.

"We cleaned enough of that door that we could crawl through it, under the lintel, and we found ourselves at that point in a corridor that went 100 metres back into the hillside, with corridors to its left and right, each of them going 100 metres further into the hillside. And we knew that we had stumbled upon something unique," he says.

"With most Egyptian kings, we don't know the names of their children. They are never mentioned. We don't even know the names of their wives. They are often never mentioned.

"Here, Rameses II went to great lengths to carefully identify his children, and he showed them at least 10 times in temple reliefs, always standing on processions and always represented in what we think to be birth order," he says. But then Rameses II had a unique relationship with his sons. He was one of the few kings to have himself declared a god before his death. As a god, Rameses needed an assistant king.

"A king can cut the ribbon at a shopping mall but a god doesn't do this kind of thing. A king can adjudicate in a court case but a god doesn't do this. So of necessity, the king needed an assistant, and who more logical to draft into this role than his firstborn, the crown prince, the heir apparent and son of god?"

Rameses survived into his eighties: many of his sons died before him. As sons of a living god, they needed the big send-off. "Crown prince died, another crown prince came along, you suddenly had this whole host of crown princes who had filled roles that required some recognition in their burial beyond that of just an ordinary prince in the royal family."

KV5 is now known to have at least 130 chambers, corridors and pillared halls. There could be many more, waiting for discovery. In April, Weeks found another corridor, leading perhaps to yet another set of rooms. The tomb has been comprehensively robbed, but canopic jars, jewellery, grave goods, meat offerings and assorted objects still have to be studied and recorded, and wall paintings conserved. The dig continues.

Now the Theban Mapping Project team at Thebes has the wider challenge of protecting the whole valley, and the temples nearer the Nile. They are the only foreigners since the revolution in 1952 to be entrusted with responsibility for saving a large chunk of Egypt's heritage.

Weeks is professor of Egyptology at the American University of Cairo, the city where he lives. His interest was originally in Egyptian medicine, with all its passion for purgatives and enemas. There was, he says, an ancient Egyptian palace post called overseer of the royal anus. "It sounds like an awful title," he says "and not one you would want on your business card."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/feature/story/0,,1342400,00.html

And it is a classic on the folly of man I'll throw this in:

I met a traveller from an antique land,

Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone

Stand in the desert....Near them, on the sand,

Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,

And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,

Tell that its sculptor well those passions read

Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,

The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;

And on the pedestal, these words appear:

"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings,

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare

The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792-1822)

Interesting, but...this is the Guardian, right? So where's the anti-American angle to the story? Weeks must have had a "Kerry for president" bumper sticker on his Land Rover.

marslight42 said:
Interesting, but...this is the Guardian, right? So where's the anti-American angle to the story? Weeks must have had a "Kerry for president" bumper sticker on his Land Rover.

I hate to mention it but the Garudian is more than the small selection of political pieces you have seen in the last few weeks. As well as being storng on the arts it also has a good science and computing supplement on a Thursday (for which our own Mark Pilkington writes a Fortean-style column).

Thanks Emperor . Fantastic post. And how great to read 'Ozymandius' again. It moved me so much the first time I read it, aged about 13. It was also responsible for sending me into a spiral of anxiety about the passing of time. Led to my spending too much of it (time) totting up all the hours in a lifetime spent brushing teeth, sleeping, travelling to and from, washing-up, doing homework, styling hair, tying shoelaces, etc. etc. Realised it didn't leave much time for anything else !

I've always claimed to not be over-fond of poetry, but 'Ozymandius' has the power to stop time itself; to summon up the image of those past greats; to carry you instantly to wind-swept sands and the presence of those majestic monuments.

Ozymandias always makes me think of that other great poem (and I'm ashamed to say I can't remember who wrote it - but one of you will know!) on a similar theme that starts;-

When I was but thirteen or so
I went into a golden land
Chimboratzi, Coatapaxi,
Took me by the hand

It has the same mystical sense of ancient history and strange cultures that are long forgotten - they also made me fall in love with poetry!

hecate said:
Ozymandias always makes me think of that other great poem (and I'm ashamed to say I can't remember who wrote it - but one of you will know!) on a similar theme that starts;-

When I was but thirteen or so
I went into a golden land
Chimboratzi, Coatapaxi,
Took me by the hand

It has the same mystical sense of ancient history and strange cultures that are long forgotten - they also made me fall in love with poetry!

W.J. Turner:

http://www.bartleby.com/103/158.html
http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/poems/238.html

[edit: Someone should feel free to start a "favourite poems" thread - I'm pretty sure that Ozymandias is one of my top picks but I'm sure there are others that will come to me.]

Ozymandias

Thanks for that Emperor. Actually, I thought there WAS a 'Favourite Poems' thread somewhere. before the new FTMB was brought on. I can't find it now - any clues?? (or am I imagining it?)

Re: Ozymandias

hecate said:
Thanks for that Emperor. Actually, I thought there WAS a 'Favourite Poems' thread somewhere. before the new FTMB was brought on. I can't find it now - any clues?? (or am I imagining it?)

If it was in chat it may have been deleted in one of the chat purges so feel free to start a new one. Why not give it a twist and look for favourite Fortean poems and stick it in Fortean Culture?

My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings

1. Ozymandias is a Hellenised version of the first part of one of Rameses II's nsw-bit names: Usermaatre.

2. If I read in The Guarniad that the sky gets dark at night, I'd go outside to check.

Mighty_Emperor said:
And it is a classic on the folly of man I'll throw this in:

I met a traveller from an antique land,

Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone

Stand in the desert....Near them, on the sand,

Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,

And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,

Tell that its sculptor well those passions read

Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,

The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;

And on the pedestal, these words appear:

"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings,

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare

The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792-1822)

My own reading and little vid on this poem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz8VG1zIEL8

I now have this happy mental imge of a Pharaoh (with attendant priests, fan bearers and cats) opening a shopping mall.

Back