• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nábrók (Necropants; Corpse Britches)

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Ouch!

Necropants, Made From Dead Man's Skin, At Center Of Icelandic Legend (NSFW)

If you thought skinny pants were a new trend, think again -- they've been around in Iceland since the 17th century.

Legend has it that you'd be gifted with an endless money supply if you were to flay a corpse from the waist down and wear the skin -- hair, genitalia and all -- as pants, io9 reports. Icelandic mystics called them nábrók, or "necropants."

Many news outlets are inaccurately reporting that Strandagaldur, The Museum of Icelandic Sorcery & Witchcraft owns the last pair of necropants. In actuality the museum has a (terrifying) replica, seen below...

More from the Huffington Post, here. (Maybe NSFW, especially if it's bacon sandwich time.)

As I said...Ouch!

"A coin must be stolen from a poor widow and placed in the scrotum along with the magical sign, nábrókarstafur, written on a piece of paper. Consequently the coin will draw money into the scrotum so it will never be empty, as long as the original coin is not removed."

Sounds perfectly logical to me. :gaga:

The gallery of extreme piercings below is not for the faint-hearted either! :shock:

JamesWhitehead said:
"A coin must be stolen from a poor widow and placed in the scrotum along with the magical sign, nábrókarstafur, written on a piece of paper. Consequently the coin will draw money into the scrotum so it will never be empty, as long as the original coin is not removed."

I wonder how you're supposed to realise your assets. Do you think it works like a kind of one armed bandit (with, presumably, a very careful operator)?

The gallery of extreme piercings below is not for the faint-hearted either! :shock:

I kind of missed that first time round - but that's the kind of thing that happens to me when something is sandwiched between an interesting story and a photograph of a lady with her bottom in the air. (Edit: She's gone now - there's a photograph of Sarah Palin instead; I was trying to work up an amusing connection between Sarah Palin and persons with their bottoms in the air but I think it's probably best if I just get my coat now.)

And all this time I thought Skinwalkers were a North American phenomenon.

"Necropants" Made Of Human Skin Were Once Rumored To Make You Rich

Everybody loves a harebrained get-rich-quick scheme, but if there’s one that has to top the “Absolutely Not” charts it’s surely necropants. The pants, also known in legend as nábrækur or nábrók, were rumored to bring the wearer of a pair of human-leg-skin trousers riches, but only if you followed a strict set of instructions.

necropants-m.webp

A replica pair of the cursed necropants. Image credit: Bernard McManus from Victoria, BC Canada.

The good news is that necropants could only be made from the legs of a willing participant, so prospective wearers would need to get permission from a pal to skin them after death before fashioning a pair. Hypothetically speaking, if you were to find a friend generous enough to lend you their legs posthumously, then the real work began.

The legend went that a sorcerer must wait until after the body was buried, then dig it up and skin it from the waist down without accidentally poking any holes. Easier said than done considering how quickly the skin starts to degrade after death, but if successful, they would find themselves with one pair of necropants that are ready to be worn.

After putting on necropants, it was said that the skin trousers would fuse with the wearer apart from a small slit near the scrotum. This pocket of sorts played a vital role as a store for a magical Icelandic symbol (Nábrókarstafur) written on a scrap of parchment, and a coin that must be stolen at a time of religious significance from a very poor widow.

n-br-karstafur-m.webp

Nábrókarstafur

Once the necropants were complete, they’d bring great riches to the wearer as the scrotum filled with coins indefinitely.

https://www.iflscience.com/-necropants-made-of-human-skin-were-once-rumored-to-make-you-rich-67317

maximus otter

Back