• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

NASA Shuttle UFO footage

A

Anonymous

Check this out...

Probably the best UFO footage ever can be seen here . It was taken from a NASA shuttle and appears to show a shot being fired from earth at a UFO hovering above the atmosphere. The quality aint to good but the content is. It's worth noting that the 'shot' was fired from Australia. I'll try and find some more details as soon as I can.

[EDIT]

From nasa.gov, the details of the shuttle that recorded these images can be found here .

Saw that clip on TV - really convincing.

I can't remember what the arguments for and against it were but it was a pro UFO programme so I presume it was for it being a UFO.

Love the change of direction and the 'missle' object shooting past it.

I have also seen this before. I agree that it does look very good, but have a few reservations.

I think that the 'UFO' is likely to be a piece of dust or ice, which is in collision with other small objects that are not reflecting light towards the camera.

As for the shot:
  • If it is a craft, what are we doing shooting at it?
  • The 'projectile' seems to move incredibly quickly. What could this be?

The apparent projectile reminds me of the images of the flares seen above lightning storms from the air (are these called sprites?).

I think this film, although interesting, is unlikely to actually show someting fired at a spacecraft.

It's worth noting that the 'shot' was fired from Australia.

There were two. The first was a near miss. The target, alerted, took evasive action. The shepherd prepared to tail, but the target inked out. The second shot was too late.

Lyrebird said:
The shepherd prepared to tail, but the target inked out.

The Shepherd? Inked out, could you elucidate on those points as I'm interested in.

Thanks

ninja said:
The Shepherd? Inked out, could you elucidate on those points as I'm interested in.

Thanks

Shepherd: like here, but playing for a different team. Lower left of frame.

Inked out: target went to black.

New theory in shuttle footage

I just saw something on TV (can't remember the name :rolleyes: ) that put forward an interesting twist on the UFO footage from STS-48.

They think the light is in fact a small particle of ice that gets pushed off at an angle after the shuttle's manoeuvring rockets flared momentarily (you can see the flash in the left hand side), so it’s actually a small object close by, rather than a large object (eg UFO) far away.

As for the streak that looks like it gets aimed at the UFO, they showed a mirror image of it on the bottom right a few seconds after it. They argued that the chances of two “lazers” (be they lazers or some sort of secret particle weapon) being so close together and ‘firing’ at almost the same time is highly unlikely, and is more than probably some artefact of filming.

The reason I brought this up as I always thought that the footage was one of the most impressive ever caught, and it certainly has made me think twice about it – and to tell you the truth it's also made me quite sad :(

Opinions anyone? :)

if its the one I'm thinking of the ice theory has been around for a while

Channel hopping on cable were you?:)
I just saw that.Introduced by Mitch Pileggi for that X-Files tip.

jima said:
if its the one I'm thinking of the ice theory has been around for a while

I think this was pointed out almost as soon as people started making a fuss over the tape. It seems pretty likely to be the truth too, given that the change in the object's apparent trajectory coincides with the firing of the maneuver rockets.

Someone correct me if I'm way off base...

Is there actually a visible discharge when
the shuttle corrects itself in orbit? Isn't a visible flash
just an "artifact" of combustion in an oxygen atmosphere?
In space, it should just be a discharge of gas... not
an actual burst of flame... right?
I've never seen the flash in any other shuttle footage
over the years... or have I and just not noticed?

TVgeek
P.S. If you've never seen an actual shuttle launch...
put it on the list of "things to do before I die".
Its spectacular, awe-inspiring and humbling.

Seeing a flash, or not, depends on what the propellant in the thrusters is. For example cold gas propellants (where you just release a jet of gas at high pressure) wouldn't give you a flash. Other types of propellant, however, can generate a lot of heat when they "light-off" and hence could give a flash either by direct emission from the fuel itself, or from heating of impurities (or particles in the vicinity of the burn.) The shuttle OMS motors (i.e. the little thrusters for changing orbit) use a bi-propellant fuel with monomethylhydrazine (MMH) as the fuel and dinitrogen teroxide as the oxidiser. The Reaction Control System (another set of smal thrusters on the orbiter) also use the same bi-propellant fuel.

The reaction between the fuel and oxidiser generates a lot of heat and could easily produce a "flash." :)

The shuttle OMS motors (i.e. the little thrusters for changing orbit) use a bi-propellant fuel with monomethylhydrazine (MMH) as the fuel and dinitrogen teroxide as the oxidiser.

Come again? In English preferably.

And, funnily enough, that's exactly the same as the ingredients in a Pot Noodle :)

Back