• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Need a job? Speak klingon?

Well they are, by definition, crazy. I'm actually surprised it dosen't happen more. I'm surprised they don't need English/Latin, English/Aramayic, English/Ancient Greek intepreters to deal with all the guys who think they're Christ or the Devil

Cujo

This sounds so suspiciously like Urban Legend, I'm confused.

Though, I can't discount it. Knowing the number of hardcore Trek geeks in this country, I wouldn't be surprised.

As an added insult, all Klingon language professionals are well-stacked, leggy nubile female blonde progidies.

I caught a bit of this story on the evening news - just the Klingon lanuage bit. Thanks for posting this, it makes a lot more sense when you get the whole story. This doesn not surprise me, my mother works on the psych ward of a hospital and some of the stories she tells...:eek!!!!:

A bit off thread...

Is at an urban legend or a true, that more people can speak Klingon (a synthetic language originally invented for a movie) than speak esperanto (a synthetic language that was supposed to promote communication, harmony and understanding worldwide).

And what will the hospital who placed the ad do when they come across a speaker of Elvish?

Godzilla Girl said:
I caught a bit of this story on the evening news - just the Klingon lanuage bit. Thanks for posting this, it makes a lot more sense when you get the whole story. This doesn not surprise me, my mother works on the psych ward of a hospital and some of the stories she tells...:eek!!!!:

Do tell

A little news of the day in latin anyone ?

Very few people speak Finnish, even in Europe. A Finnish professor got the idea to broadcast a short news show in Latin instead, since there are about 65,000,000 people in Europe who can remember at least the rudiments of their latin lessons.

Here is a recent sample from their webpage:

CONSILIUM IRAQUIAE RESTITUENDAE
In Iraquiam legiones multinationales mittentur, quibus custodientibus illa civitas paulatim pacetur. Prout certis auctoribus compertum est, hae copiae e militibus decem nationum constabunt eisque Civitates Americae Unitae, Britannia et Polonia praeerunt. Neque Francogalli neque Germani, bello Iraquico adversarii, ad actionem Iraquiae restituendae adhibebuntur. Adde, quod tota Iraquia in tria territoria dividetur, quorum fines nondum terminis sunt circumscripti. Earum regionum una Americanis custodienda dabitur, cum Britanni et Poloni reliquas duas sectiones sibi administrandas suscipiant. Civitates illius consilii participes ab Ordine Nationum Unitarum quaesiturae non sunt, utrum sibi illo modo agere liceat necne

Nuntii Latini Webpage:
http://www.yle.fi/fbc/latini/trans.html#one

I can fake my way through simple texts in Latin. It is certainly news to me that Polond is joining in the partition of another country. Isn't it usually the other way around?

Any way, the Poles are no doubt happy that the Germans are not involved.

Esperanto speakers

I did a little research--what the heck, my browser was already open--Esperanto is spoken fluently by about two million people (other than casual users who know a few phrases or words):

How many people speak Esperanto?
Professor Sidney S. Culbert of the University of Washington, Seattle, USA, has done the most comprehensive survey on language use ever attempted. He has conducted interviews in dozens of countries around the world and tested for "professional proficiency", i.e. much more than just "hello, please, goodbye".

Based on this survey, Prof. Culbert concluded that Esperanto has about two million speakers worldwide. This puts it on a par with "minority" languages such as Lithuanian or Hebrew.

Quoted from: "Esperanto: The International Auxiliary Langauge"
URL: http://www.geocities.com/quetl/esperanto.htm

I am afraid Klingon is far behind:

There are Klingon language conventions held annually and Okrand estimates the number of those who can fluently speak Klingon is at least 100, and growing.

Source: "Klingon language gaining acceptance on Earth"
URL: http://www.exn.ca/Stories/1996/11/12/01.asp

(Mark Okrand invented Klingon grammar, so he should know who is fluent or not.)

Of course, you could quibble forever over who is or is not fluent enough to qualify as a fluent speaker.

A lot more people have heard of Klingon than esperanto, perhaps.

Bright Idea to Promote International Understanding

I just had an idea: why not create an International Language of the Mentally Ill (ILMI) to promote understanding between insane people? Maybe if the insane could understand each other, they would be able to understand themselves, and then explain themselves to the rest of us--then again, esperanto was designed to help people understand each other and look where it got.

Klingon might be more useful to humanity than esperanto: a warrior language rather than a language of peace, it might be more willingly adopted by the world's lunatics.

Back