• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

NERVES? A MATING CALL?

A

Anonymous

For years my friends have giggled over the fact that often, when a man approaches me in the street, he'll start to whistle a little tune. After a while of listening to my mate's pisstaking and peacock impressions, I realise there's some truth in what they say.
Sometimes, even chatting to certain males, young or old, whether I know them or not, they'll immediately start humming or whistling when I walk away. Of course not every male does this but a sizeable percentage will. I'm told I'm attractive. I don't look - I hope - either controversial or threatening. So, at the risk of sounding paranoid or narcissic, is the whistling down to plain nervousness or are they subconscious, primeval mating calls?
I wonder if any other girls, or guys for that matter, have noted the same behaviour near them?
My boyfriend likens the behaviour to contestants on Have I Got News For You; as soon as they make a quip, nervousness makes them reach for a glass of water.

I would say it's a nervousness thing after all i don't think early man impressed his future mate with his whistling abilities.....you sound like am attractive woman and it obviously flusters them.

'hmmmmmmm, he can whistle smoke on the water, he will make many fine babies.........', no I can't see it as a mating ritual :D

I'm sure there are other mating rituals/flirting techniques. Young men get boisterous in the company of young women maybe thats like a courting display. Women apparently touch their collar bone if they're interested in a man to draw attention to her face and breasts, toss their hair, lick their lips etc. Probably not so much now but most clothing was designed to emphasise the 'sexual' parts of the body, cod-pieces and corsets to draw in the waist and bring out the chest. It's a fascinating subject.

Hayzee Comet said:
For years my friends have giggled over the fact that often, when a man approaches me in the street, he'll start to whistle a little tune.
Don't worry, it'll pass.

Yes, whistling, humming, and throat-clearing are fairly common, I think more so in older, more respectful men; I've always thought they do this out of politeness to respectably distract themselves away from gawking.

But you may be on to something RE whistling - isn't whistling at a woman a catcall? maybe that stems from an ancient mating ritual (my what strong lips and great control fo airflow he has!) but maybe not.

Don't worry, it'll pass

I have to admit, I never imagined a bit of social/scientific observation would attract such a remark of frustrated bitchery. Your reply has a very agitated quality about it. I can't understand such a response or the kind of people who make it but I'm genuinely willing to learn.

"It" may well pass. However, it's not entirely clear why "it" happens, so perhaps you could explain your insight into this matter. You seem very sure of yourself.
Looks change, therefore our perception of them do also. However, ill-will remains and people's reaction to it is constant.

hehe tinnitus

people whistle when they are happy
an attractive girl makes me happy (even just a look or a smile)
hayzee, maybe u are a nice looking friendly person and you make people happy. :)

i doubt androdude meant any offence. Even if he did, just smile and continue to make people happy :)

ps can u send me a picture and ill tell you all if it makes me whistle

Dinosaur wrote:

i doubt androdude meant any offence. Even if he did, just smile and continue to make people happy :)

Thanks, Dino. I'm sure you're right on both counts.:cool:

Back