• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Newborn baby was knifed over 40 times, inquest told

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
I wasn't sure where to put this. Its a disturbing story but there is some substance to it: 1) the dead baby; 2) two of the womans brothers have committed suicide; 3) one of her sisters has committed suicide leaving a 37 page note detailing abuse.

Newborn baby was knifed over 40 times, inquest told

Wednesday February 14th 2007

THE body of a newborn baby found dumped in a laneway 34 years ago was stabbed over 40 times in the neck, chest and face.

An inquest into the death of the unidentified baby girl also heard yesterday that some of the wounds were inflicted after death.

The inquest into the baby's death was reopened in September 2005 after legal representations were made on behalf of Cynthia Owen, the woman who came forward 12 years ago claiming to be the mother of the infant, called Noleen.

A post-mortem report from former State Pathologist Professor Maurice Hickey found the infant died from blood haemorrhage as a result of stab wounds to the neck.

He found that infant had been born alive but was stabbed to death very soon after birth. Prof Hickey's report continued that "the stab process continued after death", Dublin County Coroner's Court heard.

Dumped

Ms Owen told the court how a woman stabbed the infant to death with a knitting needle before dumping the body in Lee's Lane car park, Dun Laoghaire.

Uinsionn Mac Dubhghaill, then aged 11, discovered the dead infant covered in blood in a green plastic bag in 1973, and described yesterday how the event traumatised him for many years afterwards.

"I was very distressed. I didn't go near the lane for a long time. My mother had to give me sleeping pills. It was like a big secret I carried around for years," he told the court.

Mr Mac Dubhghaill gave evidence at the initial inquest in 1973 and said he was "afraid they were going to put me in prison because I did something wrong". As a reporter for 'The Irish Times' many years later, he wrote about discovering the remains.

A statement by Sgt Jacob Lawlor, now deceased, stated that newspapers soaked in blood and part of a sheet were discovered in the plastic bag that also contained the dead infant.

His statement said that despite extensive enquiries in 1973, "the identity of the mother was not established".

Garda

A retired garda inspector told the inquest yesterday that he was not the author of a 1973 statement attributed to him that stated he saw the dead infant in a Lee's Lane car park before its remains were taken to the mortuary.

The statement, attributed to Edward Russell, who was then a garda sergeant, stated that he saw the infant as well as its afterbirth in a green bag and went in search of the two boys who discovered the remains.

"I did not see the dead infant in the lane. I never made that statement. I'd like to know who did," the retired inspector said. Michael Forde, counsel for Ms Owen, said this was an example of why his client criticised the investigation into the infant's death.

Ms Owen has claimed she gave birth to a second infant as a result of further sexual abuse three years after the alleged birth of the baby she named Noleen. She has said the second child, a boy, was stillborn and was buried in the back garden of her family home. A a garda search over a year and a half ago did not uncover any remains.

The inquest continues today.

Ali Bracken

Devastating saga of suicide and abuse
April 1973: Two boys discover the body of a baby girl, concealed in a plastic bag, in Dun Laoghaire.

April 27, 1973: The first inquest finds the baby died of haemorrhaging due to stab wounds in the neck. The unidentified infant is buried in the Holy Angels Plot in Glasnevin cemetery.

1976: Ms Owen gives birth to a baby boy when she is 15, she will later claim. 'John' was stillborn and buried in the back garden of the family home at White's Villas in Dalkey, she will say.

1994: Ms Owen walks into Dun Laoghaire Garda Station and says the unidentified baby girl found in 1973 was her daughter Noleen.

1995: Ms Owen's brother Martin hangs himself from the kitchen door frame in his home. Before his death, he told his other sister Theresa he was repeatedly sodomised at White's Villas.

June 17, 2002: Ms Owen's brother Michael goes missing. At the time, he was suffering from depression and drinking about two bottles of vodka a day.

February 1, 2005: Michael's body is found at Killiney DART station. Suicide was suspected but the coroner returned an open verdict due to a lack of evidence.

February 23, 2005: Three weeks after the discovery of her brother's body,Theresa Murphy commits suicide, aged 33. She copies the method used by her brother Martin a decade earlier, banging three nails into her kitchen doorframe. She leaves a 37-page suicide note detailing appalling abuse of both herself and Michael at White's Villas and names their abusers.

September 2005: The inquest into the death of the Dun Laoghaire baby reopens, as a result of Ms Owen's maternity claims.June 2006: Justice Minister Michael McDowell refuses a coroner's request that the body of the baby girl be exhumed.

GRAINNE CUNNINGHAM

© Irish Independent
http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/ & http://www.unison.ie/

Edit to fix quotes

Girl (11) 'blacked out after seeing her infant attacked with knitting needles'

THE woman claiming to be the mother of an infant found stabbed to death in a Dun Laoghaire laneway 34 years ago has told an inquest she was raped repeatedly from the age of eight by four people.

Cynthia Owen claimed she saw a woman, referred to as 'B', stab the newborn baby with knitting needles before attempting to gas the infant in the oven. "I went downstairs and told my mother I wasn't well and then I went upstairs and gave birth. My father was in bed when it happened. I gave birth on the bedroom floor," she told Dublin County Coroner's Court.

Ms Owen, then aged 11, said the stabbing happened in an upstairs bedroom in the family home at White's Villas in Dalkey, south Dublin. Ms Owen claimed she blacked out after watching the stabbing.

When she awoke, she was on the floor in the same spot with "three leather belts around my legs".

Ms Owen said a person referred to as 'C' untied the restraints, and she then tried to run out of the front door. "B told me to get into the sitting room. She had the baby in blankets and the baby was covered in blood. I became hysterical."

Ms Owen alleged the woman then began again stabbing the baby on the floor and another person, referred to as 'G', "suggested to try and kill her with the gas oven", as the baby was still moving.

"B knelt down to do this, holding her own face away so the gas fumes wouldn't go near her."

Remains

Ms Owen claimed that after this, 'B' continued to stab the infant until it stopped moving. She said she went with the woman to dump the baby's remains in Lee's Lane car park in Dun Laoghaire.

Caroline Kelly, the legal representative for Ms Owen's father, Peter Murphy Snr, and three of her sisters, Catherine Stevenson, Esther Roberts and Margaret Stokes, suggested to the court that "maybe none of it's true".

Ms Kelly told the inquest that her clients strongly denied that Ms Owen ever gave birth to a baby in 1973 as a result of sexual abuse. Under evidence, Ms Owen gave a graphic account of anal, oral and vaginal rape that she claimed began at age eight and continued until she was 15.

She alleged that she was raped two to three times a week, sometimes more than once a night and once it "caused agonising pain so great that I almost lost consciousness".

She told the court that some of her brothers and sisters and her niece were also sexually abused and at least two went on to commit suicide.

Ms Owen also alleged in court that a man, referred to as 'E', visited the family home and gave cigarettes, alcohol and money to 'B' in order to have non-consensual sex with her.

The inquest into the baby's death was reopened in September 2005 after legal representations were made on behalf of Ms Owen, who came forward 12 years ago claiming to be the mother of the baby girl, called Noleen.

Ms Owen has claimed the baby was one of two she gave birth to at a young age as a result of sexual abuse.

Ali Bracken

www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories ... e_id=15248

that poor woman...

if other members of the family are claiming that she made it all up (and that the niece also made up the details of her suicide note) surely they should exhume the baby or examine evidence from the time for the purposes of DNA testing. if they establish Cynthia Owens as the mother it would move the inquest forward and validate her evidence. They would only have reopened it because she was credible. so why was the exhumation not allowed?

it's horrifying that these things can happen within families without anyone outside being any the wiser and the victims are called liars because no one wants to believe it could be true.

i found the answer to my question here

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaki ... king58.htm

Justice Minister Michael McDowell has previously refused a request to exhume the body of the baby girl from a communal Little Angels plot in Glasnevin Cemetery as she had been buried alongside hundreds of other babies.

are we talking a mass grave here? or are they concerned about the possibility of accidentally disturbing other graves?

placeholder said:
i found the answer to my question here

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaki ... king58.htm

Justice Minister Michael McDowell has previously refused a request to exhume the body of the baby girl from a communal Little Angels plot in Glasnevin Cemetery as she had been buried alongside hundreds of other babies.

are we talking a mass grave here? or are they concerned about the possibility of accidentally disturbing other graves?

Yes it is a mass grave. The chance of locating the correct body is remote.

Is that normal practice, to mass-bury babies? Especially ones that have been murdered. How strange.

mindalai said:
Is that normal practice, to mass-bury babies? Especially ones that have been murdered. How strange.

There was a practise at the time of burying un-baptised babies in unsanctified plots. Its not so much a mass grave asbeing a case of the exact location of individual burials now being unknown.

There was a practise at the time of burying un-baptised babies in unsanctified plots.

It amazes me that people who call themselves Christians would think it acceptable to bury infants in mass graves simply because they had died before being baptised. Truly, truly appalling.

mindalai said:

In this country we had a funeral director who was so concerned over the death of a five-year-old boy from "natural causes" that he not only super-embalmed the body but removed the brain, lungs, stomach, intestines and so on and sealed them in alcohol-filled glass Folger's coffee jars hidden at the foot of the coffin. (Remarkly like ancient Egyptian canopic jars.)

When the child's body was exhumed for criminal investigation years later the undertaker's almost incredible foresight assured a conviction of the foster-mother.

"I was suspicious," he said.

He was REAL suspicious.

P. S. This was the "Murder at White Bear Lake" case.

it's not so much a mass grave then as a cumulative grave.

remember that to Roman Catholics in Ireland in the seventies (and for some even until limbo was scrapped recently) the division of the unbaptised babies from those in heaven was very, very real. it caused agonies to people who believed that they would never see their stillborn or miscarried child in heaven. but those who were on the other side of the coin, baptised, had validated their ticket to eternal life in the presence of God. The sacrament that brought you in kept others out. compromise the importance of baptism and doubt would set in. if you could get into heaven anyway why bother with any of the sacraments? or what kind of heaven would it be if some members of your family couldn't be there? That's why Christianity has rules, you're in or you're out, that's it.

It's not right, it's human nature.

Dalkey Inquest: Killer of baby also tried to drown me, claims witness

THE woman claiming to be the mother of an infant found stabbed to death 34 years ago has alleged the same woman who killed the infant also attempted to drown her.

Cynthia Owen (45) told Dublin County Coroner's Court yesterday that a woman, referred to as B, pushed her into the water at Sandycove pier, near the family home in Dalkey, before she dumped the infant's body in nearby Lee's Lane car park in Dún Laoghaire.

¨B came behind me. She pushed me into the water. I couldn't swim, she was well aware of that."

Ms Owen told the court the woman then threw the bag containing the dead infant into the water after her.

Ms Owen said she found concrete underfoot and she was able to retrieve the bag and then climb out of the water.

After emerging from the water, Ms Owen said she went with the woman to a railway bridge in Dun Laoghaire as she had taken the bag containing the dead baby from her.

Suicide

Another person, referred to as C, followed them. ¨B said to C that she was going to throw me down the railway track and then throw the baby down on top of me," she told the inquest, adding that she planned to do this so it would look like suicide.

Ms Owen alleged that the woman stabbed the infant to death with knitting needles in the family home at Whites Villas, Dalkey, and then told others in the family home that she planned to murder Ms Owen, then aged 11, also.

"She kept on insisting she was going to have to kill me. Eventually, she promised she would just kill the baby . . . C was saying to B, 'you can't kill Cindy'." Ms Owen told the court that she was called Cindy as a child. Ms Owen also claimed yesterday that the woman whom she said murdered the newborn infant had sexually assaulted her when she was aged between seven and nine.

Coroner Dr Kieran Geraghty told the inquest that Ms Owen "confronted two members of her family" with her allegations in 1995 at Dun Laoghaire Garda station.

After making a statement to gardai, Ms Owen then spoke to the woman known as B in an interview room. "I said, 'you killed my baby'. She stuck up her fist and said 'may God forgive you'."

Denial

Ms Owen said she asked B why she had tied her up using restraints while others "buggered and raped me".

The inquest heard that B denied all the allegations made in the Garda station.

Ms Owen was then brought in to a separate Garda interview room, where she met a man, referred to as A.

She told the court that A said he did not know her.

"I said 'you should know me, you're the one who raped me'." He then told Ms Owen that she was "putting ideas in the family's heads".

Frances Murphy, Ms Owen's sister, told the inquest that she recalled being raped on two occasions in the family home by a man referred to as C, when she was about nine.

She said her brother Martin told her that he had also been raped in the family home by a man referred to as A. The inquest heard that Martin Murphy comitted suicide in 1995.

Ms Murphy also said that she had a recollection of "Cindy's stomach getting very large" at some stage during her childhood.

Ms Murphy alleged that her mother offered to help abort her unborn child after she fell pregnant by her boyfriend as a teenager. "I was three months pregnant. My mother told me she could help me kill my baby with a knitting needle."

Ms Murphy also claimed that she visited the family's new home in Sallynoggin after her brother's suicide and a woman, referred to as B, told her: "I did what you wanted me to do. I stabbed A for raping most of you. A was taken away in an ambulance."

However, another of Ms Owen's sisters, Margaret Stokes, told the inquest that she "never witnessed any sexual abuse in the family home".

As a teenager she fell pregnant by her boyfriend when living in the family home and she miscarried this child, which her mother flushed down the toilet.

"It was like a little pet mouse with no hair. My mother wrapped it in a towel and flushed in down the toilet." She added that she did not attend a doctor or hospital after the miscarriage.

Ms Stokes said she believed her sisters Frances and Cynthia's alleged sexual abuse was "made up for revenge".

Ms Stokes told the inquest that her daughter Theresa, to whom she gave birth at age 16 and who grew up at the family home in Dalkey, committed suicide in 2005.

"She hung herself. She made allegations that she had been sexually abused."

Ms Stokes said she did not believe the allegations made by her daughter in a suicide letter. Esther Roberts, another sister, told the inquest that on two occasions, different men attempted to sexually assault her as a child but were unsuccessful.

She added that she did not believe that her sister gave birth to a baby who was later murdered.

Ali Bracken

www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories ... e_id=15250

Dalkey Inquest: A childhood tale so horrific we could hardly bear to hear it

HARROWING accounts of evilness and misery, one after another they came tumbling out, each worse than the last.

It was difficult to imagine how the evidence at the inquest for a tiny tragic little baby found dead in 1973 could have been any more repulsive than it was.

Allegations of indecent assault, of incestuous-rape as standard practice in the family. Allegations of strange men who used to come to the house to abuse the young vulnerable children whose home it was.

Claims that a mother had farmed her young daughters out as virtual prostitutes to a road sweeper in exchange for cigarettes and alcohol.

And at the centre of the whole saga, the allegations that an 11-year-old girl had given birth without medical supervision, her newborn baby taken instantly from her and its young life allegedly wiped out in the most vicious and callous way imaginable - repeatedly stabbed to death by a knitting needle. When this didn't appear to work, its head put in a gas oven and then stabbed again.

The tiny body was bundled unceremoniously into a plastic bag along with the afterbirth to be disposed of under cover of darkness.

We could hardly bear to listen to it all. It was just too, too much to take on board. All the sorrows of the world seemed weighted in the sober hotel conference suite with its ugly pelmet curtains and dreary glass light fittings. The air seemed oppressive and even the spring sunshine became an uncomfortable menace, adding as it did, to the general stuffiness of the atmosphere.

Cynthia Owen, the woman at the centre of these events sobbed quietly throughout much of yesterday's hearing, her husband's arm protectively around her.

Small and fragile looking with her halo of fair hair, she was calmly authoritative as she faced tough questioning at the hands of barrister Caroline Kelly, who was acting for her estranged family. She would not accept that she had made it all up.

Why hadn't she left the family home if such awfulness was happening, she was asked?

Very simply, Cynthia replied, where would she have gone? She was 11 years old, a child. There was no escape.

Time and time again, the coroner, Kieran Geraghty reminded us that this was not a trial but the inquest of a baby.

The sordid tale is dismissed by Cynthia's family as merely that - a tale.

But two psychologists who had seen and treated Cynthia in a professional capacity seemed certain that what she told was the truth - that she had been raped, given birth and her baby murdered.

"Cindy is not mentally ill," said Dr Dawn Henderson, a clinical psychologist with the North West Wales NHS Trust. "In my opinion she is reacting in a normal way to a very abnormal and horrific childhood experience," she said.

Cynthia's family sat together in a row yesterday, impassive like stones throughout the hearing. Three sisters, a shaven-headed brother-in-law, their father in the middle - a feeble, elderly man with a hearing aid and a suit which has seen better days.

He was flanked on his right by one of his sons - a middleaged man in a check shirt. All were blank-faced and showed no emotion of any kind.

Only one sister, Frances, supports Cynthia's version of events. She sat apart from the rest of the family. When it came to her turn to give evidence, it proved too much for both of them. Cynthia wept into her husband's arm, while in the witness box, Frances sobbed into a tissue recalling how she was abused at the age of just nine years old.

Her abuser promised her a doll and a pram if she did what he wanted.

Childish treats for an ordeal which should not ever figure in any childhood.

Dalkey Inquest: Tale of alleged mother very credible, say psychologists

TWO clinical psychologists who treated the woman who claims she is the mother of the baby stabbed to death 34 years ago have said her story of sexual-abuse is "very credible".

Dr Dawn Henderson, a clinical psychologist for the National Health Service (NHS) in Wales, told an inquest yesterday that the woman had relayed details of "satanic-abuse" and a "paedophile-ring".

Dr Henderson was giving evidence at the Dublin County Coroner's Court inquest into the death of an unidentified infant found in a laneway in Dun Laoghaire 34 years ago. The inquest was re-opened in 2005 when Cynthia Owen came forward claiming to be the mother of the dead infant.

Dr Henderson treated Ms Owen in Wales from 2001 to 2004 and said she had "no doubt whatsoever" about the truthfulness of her allegations. "It's a horrific history of abuse." The inquest heard that Dr Henderson specialised in the area of sexual-abuse involving children.

"Cindy is not mentally ill. In my opinion, she's responding in a very normal way to very abnormal and horrific childhood experiences . . . Cindy's account of abuse and her daughter's death is very truthful and coherent," she told the Coroner's court, sitting in the Plaza Hotel in Tallaght.

She said it was not unusual that Ms Owen did not remember all of the details of her alleged abuse when she was aged 11 because children often store memories away to deal with trauma.

Dr Henderson added that after hearing Ms Owen recount details of satanic-abuse and a paedophile-ring, "I have concerns for the children who may have contact with these men."

Dr Henderson said she saw "no indication" that Ms Owen was suffering from false memory syndrome. "I don't have any doubt about the birth, death and disposal of her daughter."

Mr Fred Lowe, a retired principal clinical psychologist formally based in south Dublin, first treated Ms Owen at the request of gardai in 1995 after she came forward claiming to be the mother of the infant.

"The recall of her baby's birth was so vivid and accurate it was a genuine re-call." He said that Ms Owen was put under hypnosis by a colleague and her account of events remained the same. "She clearly had a disturbing childhood in a dysfunctional family."

Ali Bracken

Edit to fix up mess.

More updates at:

Dalkey Inquest: Five women in same family claim they were abused
www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories ... e_id=15257

Dalkey Inquest: Baby story is 'made-up lies', says brother

Dalkey Inquest: Classmates remember Cynthia's 'swollen stomach'

Dalkey Inquest: The dark veil of anonymity is removed - and 'C' is revealed

A mother's tears

After long 34 years of heartbreak, House of Horrors woman is told: that stabbed little baby was yours.
www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories ... e_id=15269

Jury finds Cynthia to be mum of baby discovered in lane

I hope now that the infant will rest in peace, says the coroner

A JURY has unanimously found at an inquest that an infant discovered in a laneway in south Dublin 34 years ago was the child of Cynthia Owen.

McDowell urged to probe garda handling of case

CYNTHIA Owen, identified at an inquest as the mother of a child found stabbed to death in a laneway 34 years ago, has called on Justice Minister Michael McDowell to "act promptly" and investigate garda handling of the case.

Dumped baby, suicides, abuse claims - saga's 34-year story

FOR more than 30 years the murder of the new-born baby girl found dumped in an alleyway has been shrouded in mystery.

Dead infant's 'aunt' says her mother knew about rapes

THE sister of the woman at the centre of the Dalkey baby case said yesterday she was also sexually abused in the family home.

Probe into Garda handling of Dalkey baby case

A FULL report on Garda handling of the investigation into the murder of baby Noleen Murphy in 1973 is being requested by Justice Minister Michael McDowell.

The Tanaiste promised to put the spotlight on all allegations made in the case and, if deemed possible at this stage, launch a "proper inquiry" into the events surrounding the killing.

Last night, a spokeswoman for Mr McDowell indicated it was unlikely he would reverse his decision to refuse an exhumation order to locate the baby's body in a communal grave in Dublin.

The spokeswoman said the Tanaiste turned down a request by the coroner last summer to unearth the remains of the infant. The coroner received a number of reasons why an exhumation attempt should not go ahead, including doubts that the body of the premature infant could be located and the distress that would be caused by disturbing the remains of up to 100 other children.

The spokeswoman pointed out that Coroner Kieran Geraghty did not make a renewed request that an exhumation be attempted when the inquest into the baby's death was concluded last week.

The child's mother, Cynthia Owen, was finally vindicated last Friday when the inquest jury found she gave birth to the baby aged just 11 at the former home of the Murphy family at White's Villas, Dalkey, in April 1973.

The 45-year-old claims baby Noleen was born after she endured repeated rapes and sex abuse. Ms Owen is now considering a civil case against gardai over the way they handled the matter. She is also expected to ask the Director of Public Prosecutions to review the case.

Speaking on RTE Radio 1 yesterday, Mr McDowell said: "The first thing I intend to do is to get a full report from An Garda Siochana about what they did or what they did not do and I'm minded to bring that matter further," he said.

The Tanaiste was concerned whether an inquiry could be properly carried out at this point, more than 30 years after the alleged events began.

"Some of the allegations are profoundly disturbing. The real question that I have to ask myself is can they be properly investigated at this stage?"

Family lawyer and former Fine Gael Justice spokesman Alan Shatter last night called for gardai to launch a new investigation into the public allegations of sexual abuse at the Murphy family home.

Earlier, he said it may not be too late to have the infant's remains exhumed and said the issue needed to be "urgently revisited".

Alan O'Keeffe

www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories ... e_id=15271

Edit to correct name.

Dalkey baby case probe 'must be in public'

THE mother of tragic Dalkey baby Noleen Murphy will today call for a public inquiry into the Garda handling of the horrific case of alleged sex-abuse/murder.

Last Friday, an inquest found that Cynthia Owen had given birth to the baby aged just 11 at the former home of the Murphy family at White's Villas, Dalkey, south Dublin.

She claimed baby Noleen was born after she endured repeated-rapes and sex-abuse and that the child was stabbed by her [Cynthias] mother.

Earlier this week Justice Minister Michael McDowell said he wanted a full report from the gardai into its handling of the investigation in Dun Laoghaire in 1973.

However, Ms Owen wants him to go one step further and hold a public inquiry. The 45-year-old will make the calls tonight when she speaks to Pat Kenny on RTE's 'Late Late Show'.

Speaking last night, she said she was preparing to talk in detail about her horrific childhood.

Vindication

She said she now felt "a huge relief at vindication after a 34-year wait" when an inquest jury found that she did give birth to the baby whose body was found in Dun Laoghaire in April, 1973.

But Ms Owen now wants to know what happened to the evidence in what she believes was clearly a murder-case.

Garda files have disappeared and she claims that the bag in which the body was found was not checked for fingerprints. She has also questioned why there was no report of how two gardai stopped her and her mother on the night they carried the body of the baby from Dalkey into Dun Laoghaire.

She has rejected Minister McDowell's calls for a report, saying it does not go far enough. Cynthia now lives in Wales with her husband but had spent the last number of weeks in Dublin for the inquest.

Edel Kennedy

www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories ... e_id=15291

She claimed baby Noleen was born after she endured repeated-rapes and sex-abuse and that the child was stabbed by her [Noleens] mother.

Ramon, i think you meant to stipulate it was Cynthia's mother who murdered Noleen.

placeholder said:
She claimed baby Noleen was born after she endured repeated-rapes and sex-abuse and that the child was stabbed by her [Noleens] mother.

Ramon, i think you meant to stipulate it was Cynthia's mother who murdered Noleen.

You are right. The sentence was confusing and I made things worse! I will fix it up.

Back