• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

NUFORC, Wendy Connors, And Bob Gribble (Audio Files)

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
The following link is a comprehensive summary of the inherent, phenomenally priceless, archive research material - a stunning time capsule of ufology in that era.

https://ia800208.us.archive.org/2/items/NationalUfoReportingCenterRecordings/NuforcDirectory.txt

On the understanding this was intended to be publicly made available and there are no copyright infringements, if it helps to directly access a recording, the entire 246 file audio collection has been uploaded to:

www.jceaston.com/001.mp3

until...

www.jceaston.com/246.mp3

Thanks for posting this. I bought quite a few CDs from Wendy when she was selling them in order to finance her efforts to digitize that treasure trove of recordings. She had amassed an amazing collection, on a bewildering array of obsolete formats. Some of the equipment she bought in order to get it done was antique, broken, and otherwise in need of serious work just to play the recordings. I haven't seen those discs in some time. They may be casualties of our recent moves from one house to another, to another. I'm glad they are archived on line. I knew about the archive, and thought I had commented on it here, but could not find anything with a search. Wendy left us some years ago, but fortunately for us she left behind quite a legacy.

The recordings are fascinating. There is nothing like hearing the first-person descriptions of UFO encounters and other weirdness from the witnesses themselves, soon after the events. Much of what I listened to was from the old Long John Nebel show. Nebel was the godfather of the format favored by Art Bell. He was an able interviewer and knew his business and his audience. There was a lot less BS on that show than on C2C. There are many other recordings, too, from a variety of sources. I believe there was one whole CD full of recordings by and about Wilbert Smith, an interesting character who left many intriguing documents and stories. My assessment of Wilbert is that he was either just who he said he was, telling the truth as he understood it, or a complete crackpot. I really don't see any middle ground. Some of his experiments were fascinating. Those were funded by the Canadian government, so the bona fides are there.

Thanks for posting this. I bought quite a few CDs from Wendy when she was selling them in order to finance her efforts to digitize that treasure trove of recordings.
Thank you for this fascinating insight.

I have only recently come across this extraordinary treasure-trove, as a result of further investigating the call from our alleged CIA reconnaissance pilot.

Seeing that the entire archive was available online, yet hidden away in various zip files, it was obligatory to hopefully provide easier access!

As you say, a priceless snapshot and I am working through it....

In search of answers.... :)

I have been in conversation with historian Jan Aldrich about this archive and others, Jan commenting about 'boxes full of stuff'!

If please possible to enquire, do you have, going back, a related connection with Jan?

Don't know Jan, but I have seen quite a bit of his work. I used to lurk on the old UFO Updates email list. It was fascinating, watching the famous and the not so famous authors, researchers, and troublemakers exchange information and insults in a relatively private "forum". There was almost always more heat generated than light, and some of the old long-nursed grudges got downright nasty, but there was a ton of information flying around in between the gnashing of teeth and the wagging of dicks. Jan, as I recall, was one of the more civil voices in the melee. I think that list is archived somewhere, too. It's a quantum network of rabbit holes, connected by wormholes and infested with red herring. Beware!

Reactions: BS3
The fate of a lot of these 'boxes of stuff' is one of the issues that has dogged ufology (and Forteana in general) over the years. Its cultural value is generally low, so a lot has been lost either because no-one has been willing to take the material on, or because surviving family members never thought much of the 'hobby' in the first place (I think Charles Bowen's wife burnt or chucked out all his FSR stuff after his death; that wasn't the only instance of this either). That's even before we get onto the fate of stuff like the APRO files.

A few people have taken steps to protect their archives (I know Michael Swords was doing a lot of work to digitise and preserve the files he kept). As we've seen even using digital formats isn't any kind of guarantee, so I hope people can go on making efforts to keep these materials available.

Back