• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nuke Cornwall

A

Anonymous

Acording to a Tv prog this afternoon, based on recently released Gov papers severil locations were considered for baseing and loading Polaris Missiles. Plymouth and Falmouth were top of the list. Until... they drew a circle round the Polaris dock and discovered that too many Voters might become radio active in the event of an acident (like they didnt realist that on day one!) But Falmouth was rejected on the grounds it was "remote" (!) and the National Trust owned a lot of the land so it would be expensive to buy. Sudenly i like the National Trust much more...and i wounder what "remote " means....And why were Falmouth Citizens considered more expendable than Plymothians.

The land of the National Trust, is supposed to be inalienable sidecar.

Which still means, that about twenty years ago, when the then government, wanted some land out at High Wycombe for a nuclear bunker. The Trust was coersed into leasing them some land on a 999 year lease!!!!

The alternative was that the land would be compulsory purchased.

Oh the top secret base... u go up by the top secret base and turn left...how is it soposed to be top secret when its a seven story building underground!..........A mate of mine worked on it,,,taken for an hours drive in a blacked out buss to do tunneling...they all instantly recognised where they were...

.... And so Polaris ended up on the Clyde .... not so far from Glasgow ..... and we got Dounreay, the first atomic power station, at a time when the government assured the population that it was dead safe, could have been built on the Thames ......

And people wonder why Scottish Nationalism keeps gaining in popularity?

We want out before the English finish what they couldn't in previous centuries ! :D

DerekH said:
.... And so Polaris ended up on the Clyde .... not so far from Glasgow ..... and we got Dounreay, the first atomic power station, at a time when the government assured the population that it was dead safe, could have been built on the Thames ......
Don't forget - here in Lanky Land we've had to put up with Windscale/Sellafield for decades too! "So safe, we could have put it in the middle of London..." SO WHY THE BL****Y HELL DIDN'T THEY!!

Like those french guys who makes some test nuclear explosions that are completely safe. Which is why they decide to do it on the other side of the planet.

An acquaintence of mine swore that he had fallen into the mud of the little harbour at Limekilns near Rossyth and came out "ticking" (in the prescence of a geiger counter)

Well its romoured that there are no American bases in Cornwall cos the back ground radiation exceeds that which service men are alowed to be exposed.... the whole of Cornwall is "ticking"... Fortunatyely the rocks have saved us from Nuke Powewre stations tho cos of the ocasional earth tremmor..

The mud on the bottom of the Mersey is also supposed to be radioactive, according to legend, due to a place that processed materials for luminous watch faces.

8¬)

How much radiation does granite generate? This whole city is built of it...am I being microwaved?

Quite radia active!...i heard that Grand central station (New York) gives a greater dose of radiation than a Nuke power station... no numbers on that so its probably a spuriouse stat!.. But Radon gas exists in all Granit areas its the desest gas so lies in pools in cellers like a toxic pond and causes nasty things like lung cancer. So open a window now!...

Inverurie Jones said:
How much radiation does granite generate? This whole city is built of it...am I being microwaved?
If you're interested IJ I think the radiological protection board still does radon monitoring kits. They'd be worth contacting anyway for radon stats for Aberdeen

Annasdottir said:
Don't forget - here in Lanky Land we've had to put up with Windscale/Sellafield for decades too! "So safe, we could have put it in the middle of London..." SO WHY THE BL****Y HELL DIDN'T THEY!!
Don;t forget Heysham (or however it's spelt) near Morecambe.

Back