• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Odd People: Cranks, Eccentrics & Nutters

My own town has become sadly bereft of eccentrics of late. The lovely "Stripey Sock Lady" (Julie, very elderly, always wearing knee-length stripey socks and a short skirt, out from the crack of dawn til late at night every day, all over town, lived oppositemy parents) very sadly died recently, and hadn't really been replaced.

However. Four times in the last few weeks I have seen the same 'angry sweary cycling man'- who cycles along the seafront and through town wearing a furious expression and shouting extreme swears at all and sundry. Really extreme swears. I would naturally wonder about tourettes or similar, but his utterly, incandescently, furious face suggests something else. He also does this, while pushing his bike through the pedestrianised bits and gesticulating wildly at people-in-the-distance.
If it's a new looking bike that looks well maintained? .. invite him to join you for a coffee in some café one day. You'd probably end up weirdly somehow liking each other but not be able to put your finger on exactly why.

More here:
https://marginalrevolution.com/marg...s-about-philosophers-connected-to-oxford.html

McTaggart wore his eccentricities with pride. He rode a tricycle. He walked “with a curious shuffle, back to the wall, as if expecting a sudden kick from behind,” a fact that may or may not be explained by his having been bullied at boarding school. He saluted every cat he met. His dissertation for a fellowship at Trinity, later published as Studies in the Hegelian Dialectic; had elicited from that older Apostle, Henry Sidgwick, the remark; “I can see that this is nonsense, but what I want to know is whether it is the right kind of nonsense.” Apparently, it was.

Mystery figure in gas mask walks into a kids play centre

KIDS were left terrified after a creepy figure in a gas mask walked into a play centre and told them to "stay quiet."

The freaky moment was captured on CCTV in Zabki, a town in central Poland just northeast of Warsaw.

Looking like something from a horror film, the individual was wearing a long coat that made them look even more unsettling.

entered-playroom-4pm-30-seconds-864963917.jpg

Believed to be a man, the masked figure walked into the building, fixed his gaze on the kids, and strolled out moments later.

Monika Kaczynska of the Wolomin County Police told local media: “We have determined that we are dealing with a 13-year-old.

“Since this is a minor, the documents gathered in this case will be handed over to the Family Court.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/24994012/terrifying-moment-gas-mask-figure-enters-kids-play-centre/

Sounds like a teenager who’s played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. once too often.

maximus otter

Back