• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

On the Track of Orang-Pendek

Have you personally seen much to enbolden the hypothesis m'lud? Tracks etc? I must admit I find orang-pendek one of the stronger hominid cryptids due to the untapped nature of Indonesia and all the native beliefs but its always interesting to hear first hand.

I saw Brian Blessed on Would I Lie To You tell a story he claimed to be true, of one of his expeditions in search of Orang-Pendek. In his account, he was paddled in a canoe up or down a river for a distance of about 10 miles accompanied by an Orangutan who used a paddle, alternating left & right paddling to keep a straight line. A nice story even allowing for a bit of Blessed hyperbole.

I saw Brian Blessed on Would I Lie To You tell a story he claimed to be true, of one of his expeditions in search of Orang-Pendek. In his account, he was paddled in a canoe up or down a river for a distance of about 10 miles accompanied by an Orangutan who used a paddle, alternating left & right paddling to keep a straight line. A nice story even allowing for a bit of Blessed hyperbole.
I suspect a lot of embroidering in that tale. However, Orangutans are quite smart and could probably learn how to paddle a canoe - so I'm half tempted to believe it.

I suspect a lot of embroidering in that tale. However, Orangutans are quite smart and could probably learn how to paddle a canoe - so I'm half tempted to believe it.
Orang-utans can paddle, use soap to wash, use a hammer and nails and many other things they have copied from people.

Have you personally seen much to enbolden the hypothesis m'lud? Tracks etc? I must admit I find orang-pendek one of the stronger hominid cryptids due to the untapped nature of Indonesia and all the native beliefs but its always interesting to hear first hand.
Yes, i have seen footprints different to all the known apes (all of which i have worked with) and hand prints. I have heard the animal vocalize and i have found hair. The latter was studied by Lars Thomas of Copenhagen University. He said it was a new species related to but distinct from the Sumatran orang-utan.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ORANG-PEND...keywords=orang-pendek+sumatra's+forgotten+ape

Yes, i have seen footprints different to all the known apes (all of which i have worked with) and hand prints. I have heard the animal vocalize and i have found hair. The latter was studied by Lars Thomas of Copenhagen University. He said it was a new species related to but distinct from the Sumatran orang-utan.

Was that a DNA analysis?

Back