• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

OOBE At Sea: A Modern Parallel For A Famous Case

gattino

Justified & Ancient
There are certain "classic" Fortean cases that get summarised and reprinted over and over in general books on the paranormal. One such, which you'll recognise by the details if not by the name is the "Wilmot case" from the SPR's fantasms of the living. Held up as a great exemplar of OOBEs/Astral projection/Crisis apparitions.

A refresher: in 1863 a Mr Wilmot , confined to this cabin bunk for several days due to severe seasickness during a violent storm had a vivid dream that his wife appeared at the cabin door, hesitated when she saw there was someone else in the upper bunk, but approached Wilmot, caressed him and left. When he woke from the dream, the businessman sharing the cabin with him, a Mr Tait, was staring at him and wanted to know about the woman who had - daringly in Victorian times - come to visit him in the dead of night. When Wilmot finally got home the first thing his wife says to him when they're alone is that she felt she went to visit him while he was out at sea, on that date. Eaten with anxiety for his safe return she perceived herself to travel across the seas, ascend the ship, enter his cabin and initially hesitate as she noticed there was another man there watching her.

Here are a couple of pages from the 2022 book Telepathy, Clairvoyance and Precognition: a re-evaluation of some fascinating case studies. by SPR member Robert A Charman , giving the original written accounts by the participants (submitted many years later).

1707937305946.png
1707937328742.png

Charman's book incidentally revisits all of these much repeated cases by returning to the original source material and comparing it with checkable facts. Some very famous cases turn out to be pure fiction. With this one he merely notes the long gap before the report was made, the absence of direct confirmation from certain parties, and speculates that the coincidence of timing between the "dreams" was probably decided on later as its unlikely Wilmot noted down the exact date of his dream til the wife told him of hers. So while not debunking the story he concludes non paranormal explanations cover the same facts at least as well. He quotes Susan Blackmore as another who dismissed the value of the case.

So you can imagine my reaction when listening to the most recent episode, 643, of the excellent podcast "Jim Harold's campfire". A man called Ed from Devon rings into recount, as is the format of the show, his own encounter with the paranormal. Neither host nor guests seem to have any awareness of the Wilmot case.....

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...-campfire-special/id310656913?i=1000644653667

Ed's story begins at 12 minutes 15 seconds into the episode.

As the episode will disappear behind paying membership after 8 or 10 weeks I'll transcribe the relevant parts in the next post for posterity.

Ed sets events in June 1995 when he anxiously leaves his English bride to be on her own at home in Antibbes , South of France, while he goes away for 3 weeks for the first time on a new cushy job on a Superyacht cruising the Mediterranean. On the first night out, his shift starting at 4am, the weather is awful, he discovers he suffers seasickness, and hes flung into the rails, cracking a rib. The captain sends him to rest in his cabin, shared with another man on the lower bunk. And here is the relevant testimony so insanely similar - bar the role reversal - to the 1863 case.

"I'd taken some painkillers and I'd managed to just fall asl..I didn't really fall asleep I was just kind of in a slumber, you know where you're not quite awake but.. not quite asleep either, and I had a really strange vivid dream, it was bizarre, it was real, it felt like I was taking part in this thing, it was real, I wasn't just dreaming it, I was actually in this place. And where I was, I...I er...I was worried about my wife. I thought, a bit dramatically, that I was never going to see her again..erm..and er..I just wanted to be with her, because I was about to marry her and there's no way I wanted to be separated from her, so I just wanted to check she was ok, so I, I remember very vividly just being in my bedroom at the foot of the bed watching over my wife sleeping and I, I spent...I don't know how long it was, I can't tell how long I was dreaming this. But it felt like a long time, I was watching over her, making sure she was alright. In a dream in itself its not very extraordinary except I really felt like I was there. "

He explains that he remembered this dream, unusually for him, because water splashed from the airduct above him and woke him up violently, making him think they were sinking.

"I'm not a very literary guy but for the first time ever, this dream was so unusual, I wrote it down in a little sketch book I had. Er, and I just thought this is important, Ill write it down, I don't know why...I wrote down the day and I wrote down the time, I described the dream and then I put this sketch book away (........ ) eventually when I did get home again, I'd totally forgotten about the dream. I'd totally forgotten I'd written it in this sketch book"

He gets home, knocks on the door, they're really happy to see each other "And then, the first thing she said to me was, er, 'Ed, while you were away, I had this, uh, I was awoken at the foot of the bed by this shadow that was watching over me while I was sleeping.' And she said 'I was absolutely terrified..uh..until I realised that i recognised the shape of the outline, and it was YOU.' (......) I was so happy that i could the sketchbook out and look a the time and the date that totally correlates with what my wife, when my wife says she saw me."

Back