• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ornithomancy anyone?

maureenmac1

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I used to practise the fortelling of the future by looking at bird patterns in flight and their behaviour on the ground.
I would have been in my early teens at the time and I never thought anything of it, that is I thought it quite natural. I was quite often correct in my predictions, nothing dramatic but big enough to be commented on at the time.
The maternal side of my family have had a long tradition of reading tea leaves and using tarot cards. Although my aunt would just use normal playing cards rather than a specific set of Tarot.

Has anyone else practised Ornithomancy? I would be interested to know.
It's only a few years ago I realised it had a name. ( A wee bit slow on the uptake sometimes, me)

I did a wee bit of research on it this evening and it seems that the Greeks and Romans put great importance on it also.
I was wondering more if anyone on the board had ever practised it?

Sounds interesting. How do you go about it?

I can only explain it in terms of the way in which I carried it out.
To me it felt quite natural. to start with I would stare at the sky and watch the birds in flight, and concentrate on what was happening. The interaction between birds etc.
The more I concentrated, it led me to assign each bird a personality, which applied to a person (maybe a relative or friends and sometimes people I didn't know, but would have a feeling about, eg a description or their job).
By judging the way in which the birds behaved I would apply this to the person whichever bird symbolised them.
I'm finding it quite difficult to explain how this process worked, as it was personal to me and as I said I found it quite natural and didn't think it an unusual thing to do.
Also this was over 20 years ago, and I was quite young and I suppose the ability came easily because at that age you are quite open.
I later assumed that the act of concentrating put me into a meditative or trance-like state in which I was able to forsee events.
I hope this made some sort of sense to you gncxx. Maybe try it yourself and see what impressions you get.

Yeah, that does make a kind of sense. Maybe I should give it a go next time I see a flock.

we get quite a few birds in the garden here.

today i saw one i didn't recognize (not being a twitcher).
a (probably) simplistic interpretation of that might be that an unexpected change is coming....

..or something! :D

(mind you, it wasn't flying, but mostly hopping about a bush.)

rynner said:
a (probably) simplistic interpretation of that might be that an unexpected change is coming....
Yeah, the FTMB just got even crappier!

(see 'ARGH!...' in website issues.)

rynner said:
rynner said:
Yeah, the FTMB just got even crappier!

(see 'ARGH!...' in website issues.)

But you said maybe an unexpected change, so I don't think that counts as a true prediction :lol:

Back