• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oscar The Giant Snapping Turtle ("Beast Of Busco")

This 2008 children's book of Forteana summarizes the Beast of Busco story as follows ...

Busco-Ho(2008).jpg
SOURCE:
Mysteries Unwrapped: Mutants & Monsters
Oliver Ho and Josh Cochran, Sterling, 2008.
p. 53

https://books.google.com/books?id=i...zASl6cn3CQ#v=onepage&q=beast of busco&f=false

This webpage provides a more detailed (though not identical) account of the 1940s sightings and the frenzy they generated. This account is especially detailed regarding the multiple attempts to capture Oscar.
... The Beast of Busco's legend began in July 1948 when two men from Churubusco, Ora Blue and Charley Wilson, went fishing in Fulk Lake on the property of Gale Harris. When the two were done fishing they told Harris about a giant turtle they had seen in the lake. Based on a conversation with Ora Blue, Churubusco resident and turtle expert Rusty Reed determined this original report to be a hoax. Mr. Reed also noted that Charley Wilson was known to tell tall tales, so when the local newspaper reported the sighting of a giant turtle on Mr. Harris' farm the two fishermen enjoyed a good laugh. This is where the Legend of the Beast of Busco would have ended, except now Harris, known for believing anything, claimed to have seen the giant turtle himself.

In the first few days of March, 1949, Harris claimed to have seen the giant turtle again, this time he was persuaded by some townspeople to try and capture the beast, and according to newspaper reports Harris just about did on the first day. A trap of stakes and chicken wire trapped the beast in about 10 feet of water; there was even a video, now lost of course, which appeared to show the creature swimming just below the surface. But no legend worth the status is captured so easily and thus the Beast of Busco made its escape. ...
FULL STORY: http://www.unknownexplorers.com/beastofbusco.php

This 2009 article from the (apparently defunct) local Busco Voice website repeats the March 1949 Indianapolis Star article that helped ignite the Oscar mania.
The 1949 Story of the Hunt for Oscar, the Beast of Busco, According to the Indianapolis Star
Posted on 26 May 2009

(Ed. note: The following story “The Beast of Busco” ran in the Indianapolis Star Sunday, March 13, 1949. It was written along with many follow-up and accompanying articles, by Star reporter Victor Peterson, who apparently spent a lot of time in Churubusco that year.)

The Beast of Busco
By Victor Peterson

I SAW the Beast of Busco … I think.

Snowflakes rode out a cold wind as Gale Harris shoved the rowboat out on the choppy water of Fulk’s Lake which covers seven acres of his farm.

We were looking for a monster turtle said to be too wide to get through a door, 500 years old and weighing 500 pounds. There’s a story a second about the old mossback. It has this community of 1,100 on its collective ear more than the day Aunt Mary Jackson won a contest for naming the town after the Battle of Churubusco in the Mexican War.

Spectators, some grim-faced, others joking, lined the shore as Mr. Harris and I scanned the bottom of the lake with his homemade telescope … a downspout with a glass in the bottom, a soldered handle and a piece of red inner tube for an eyepiece.

A LOG JUTTED above the surface. This was the spot where Mr. Harris last saw his monster. He plunged the viewer into the water.

“There he is! Drifted off. Circle around.” We did. Now it was my turn. I saw muddy water or muddy lake bottom. Then thee was a definite pattern of dark squares.

“Drifted off,” I said. “Circle around.” We did. I saw the pattern again and described it.

“That’s him,” Mr. Harris said stoutly. “Now you’ve seen the Beast of Churubusco.”

The mud road to the Harris farm is rutting rapidly from automobiles. He has appealed to Police Chief Perry Green for state police aid in directing traffic.

“Cars are stacking up a mile from the house. I can’t get out of the barnyard.” Mr. Harris moaned. The chief moaned too, and cupped his hands to his ears. He swore he’s going to stop answering the telephone.
“I DON’T want this fuss. I got farming to do,” Mr. Harris said. Then he went to see how construction is coming along on a new monster trap. It will be jawed like a steam shovel scoop to drop over and nsap up the snapper.

“We’ll have to winch him in,” said Lee Fowles, who testifies he saw the giant of the deep while fishing last summer. that was just about the time Mr. Harris pursued the Beast in a rowboat, snatched his tail and tried to flip him aboard. The turtle swam away with Mr. Harris in tow without his boat.

“Had to let go,” he said. “You know, the moss on his back is at least two inches thick. Can’t figure out how the story got around that some fellow’s name is carved there. Supposed to be a Richard Cavalier de LaSalle. In French too,” he said.

“And this business about this turtle eating cattle down around the lake. Nothing to it. Whoever heard of a turtle eating a cow?”

THE BEAST of Churubusco has been around for a long time. Oscar Fulk saw it a half century ago, but nobody got excited. More than a year ago it was seen by Charles Wilson, brother-in-law of Mr. Harris. He got excited. In time Mr. Harris got to seeing it. So did a lot of other people. I saw it too. I think.
SALVAGED FROM THE WAYBACK MACHINE:
https://web.archive.org/web/2009111...-of-busco-according-to-the-indianapolis-star/

This 2009 piece from the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette includes the recollections of a 94-year-old local resident who was a witness to the events of 1949.
‘Beast of Busco’
Turtle Town title began with hunt for giant

Devon Haynie | The Journal Gazette

By all accounts, the Oscar saga started July 27, 1948, when Ora Blue and Charlie Wilson claimed to see a giant turtle while fishing in a Churubusco pond. The men told Gale Harris, their brother-in-law and owner of the property, that they saw a turtle with a body as big as their rowboat and a head as big as a child’s surface near their boat.

Later, Harris went searching for the turtle and claims to have briefly caught it in a chicken-wire trap before it escaped.

Oscar was spotted again in 1949. Local newspapers and news services got wind of the story, and soon hundreds of people throughout the region flooded to Churubusco, eager to watch the hunt unfold.

The Journal Gazette named the turtle the “Beast of Busco,” and letters began arriving in Churubusco addressed simply to “Turtle Town USA.”

Harris, Wilson and Blue are dead, but Jim Guiff, a 97-year-old man with a smooth complexion and blue eyes, remembers the turtle hunt well. Since 1927, he’s lived on property that borders Fulk Lake, the pond where the turtle was allegedly discovered. Oscar was named after Guiff’s uncle, Oscar Fulk, who owned the farm before Harris and told the media that he had seen the turtle in 1900, 50 years earlier.

(Guiff remembers Harris as an honest, humble man. He won’t say much about his uncle, other than that he was a “character.”)

Guiff, who was in his late 30s during the turtle saga, remembers at least two times when people tried to catch the turtle. He recalls watching a man, perhaps Harris, steer a boat toward a trap one night while about 12 men stood watching. And he remembers someone shining a light into the trap, only to illuminate the murky water.

“A few months later, they got a deep-sea diver to come out there,” Guiff recalled. “But the bottom of the lake is all muck, and his feet would kick up sediment so he couldn’t see.”

That deep-sea diver was one of several who came to the pond in the next few months. Professional trappers came, too, as did zoo officials and airplane pilots, trying to spot Oscar from above.

Guiff says automobile traffic outside his house was bumper to bumper. At one point, he says, the state police had to close a portion of the road near the lake out of fear that it would collapse.

“Harris got a lot of people excited,” Guiff says. “It caused a lot of publicity. We had newspapermen out here and radio people. People from Chicago and Indianapolis and all over.”

The third and final time Guiff went to the lake was the day Harris attached water pumps to his tractor and started to drain the pond.

Harris had almost completed the project when he suffered appendicitis, which put him in the hospital.

It was a rough year for the Harrises, Guiff said. They also lost their crops that year because onlookers had trampled their fields.

“They wouldn’t give up on it,” Guiff says. “We drove over when they were finished (draining the lake), and there were little puddles here and there. And they didn’t find the turtle.”

Guiff wasn’t surprised; he never really expected his neighbors to find Oscar.

“I was always suspicious about the turtle being as big as he was,” he says. “I used to hunt for snapping turtles when I was a kid, and I never saw them that big. I never disputed them, though, because maybe I was wrong.”

By the time Harris had drained the lake, Guiff said, he’d lost a great deal of money trying to prove Oscar’s existence. For that reason, Guiff will never discount the possibility that his neighbor was telling the truth. ...
EXCERPT SALVAGED FROM THE WAYBACK MACHINE:
https://web.archive.org/web/2012021...pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090614/FEAT/306149998
(FULL STORY Available At This Link)

Back