• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Parapsychology Degree: Worth It?

Tell me about it.I am lucky in that I got a good psychology degree (first class and a respected course), but trying to find employment without further education again? Gah...that's why I'm contemplating go back for a doctorate...cor, at my age too (don't ask)

But! I won't be taking a course in Parapsych :lol: I mean, there can't be that many text books can there? I remember seeing a slim volume (can't remember the author) about a year ago, and that was about it in our library... :?

Parapsychology degree?

It may be just me, but I really don't see a lot of ads in the paper for parapsychologists and even less saying "Bachelors or higher required"...

GadaffiDuck said:
Excellent - I'll be interested to see what text books they recommend for your course.

These are the key texts required for the module:

Edge, H., Morris, R.L., Palmer, J., & Rush, J.H. (1986). Foundations of Parapsychology: Exploring the boundaries of human capability. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul

Irwin, H.J. (2004). Introduction to Parapsychology. 4th Edition. Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland, Inc.

Kurtz, P.(ed.) (1985). The Skeptic's Handbook of Parapsychology. Buffalo, N.Y.: Prometheus Books.

Roberts, R., & Groome, D. (2000). Parapsychology: The science of unusual experience. London: Arnold.

And the lectures are no longer two hours every two weeks, its just one hour every week... plus a one hour seminar (workshop) everey two weeks...

The Irwin book is good, but I haven't been able to get the others yet...

...The book is good because of the range of areas it covers, which are certainly more diverse than I expected. I assumed (or expected) it would ocncern itself mainly with ESp and psychokenesis, however, it does go into detail on other areas such as OBEs and polotergeists.

And, as well as the range of subject areas, it also gives good accounts of the details of each area, especially the experiemental side of the research, which makes a nice change from the mythology and case after case of supposition and theorising I usually find come with books on such topics as these... :yeay:

Susan Blackmore is the local name round here. But she's given it all up. And is now Ms Meme.
http://www.susanblackmore.co.uk/journalism/NS2000.html
But learning proper scientific method was at the heart of her work.

I don't see what's wrong with universities doing courses that aren't vocational. I see universities as somewhere where you learn to think for yourself. But anyway.

Back