• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Parts Of Paris Will Be Off-Limits Without A QR Code This Summer

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
15-minute city advocates will be watching...

"The French capital Paris will be split into zones this summer, with anyone wanting to enter certain areas required to show a pass on their phone.

SEC_204039208-a15e.jpg

Special measures will be in place throughout the city as part of increased security around the Olympic Games, which start in July.

Anyone wishing to enter certain zones, including residents, will have to apply for a special Pass Jeux (games pass) on a platform run by police.

It mostly applies to people driving, but even pedestrians will need to show a QR code to enter an area called the ‘grey zone’ around the River Seine in the centre, where the opening ceremony will take place.

The codes will be checked at access points along the entrance to each zone, manned by officers.

Applications for the passes opened today, with people needing to upload various documents to be authorised."

https://metro.co.uk/2024/05/14/parts-paris-will-off-limits-without-a-qr-code-olympics-20837179/

maximus otter

Things are getting weird in France ... They have started to paste stickers in the subway to help tourists locate the various Olympic sites and how to reach them.

For instance, people willing to go to Place de la Concorde are directed towards the Auber RER station. Parisians seeing this are rolling their eyes : indeed, although there is a subway station in Concorde, it will be within the security perimeter's bounds, and it appears it will remain closed until mid September. Auber is located between 800 meters to 1 km north of Concorde. It's roughly a 15-20 minutes walk. Not exactly the closest landing point !

I admire my country's enthousiasm for reinforced security measures in a context where we are absolutely unable to maintain the public order in our suburbs (see last years' riots around Paris), unable to fight back against petty crime and narco-trafic (the French senate published yesterday a worrying report about the growth of the narco-economy, and of corruption, in France, and the very same day, 5 cops were shot down during the evasion of a drug dealer in Normandy), unable to restaure the order in threatened territories such as Mayotte (uncontrolled migration flows feeding endemic insecurity, failure of the potable water network and a Cholera epidemic) or Nouvelle Caledonie (riotting right now).

Rogues can do whatever they please in broad daylight, without any fear of sanction, but lawful ordinary citizens will have to follow bizarre rules just to be allowed to cross the street, all for the sake of the "show" (the Olympic Games' great potlatch) !

Things are getting weird in France ... They have started to paste stickers in the subway to help tourists locate the various Olympic sites and how to reach them.

For instance, people willing to go to Place de la Concorde are directed towards the Auber RER station. Parisians seeing this are rolling their eyes : indeed, although there is a subway station in Concorde, it will be within the security perimeter's bounds, and it appears it will remain closed until mid September. Auber is located between 800 meters to 1 km north of Concorde. It's roughly a 15-20 minutes walk. Not exactly the closest landing point !

I admire my country's enthousiasm for reinforced security measures in a context where we are absolutely unable to maintain the public order in our suburbs (see last years' riots around Paris), unable to fight back against petty crime and narco-trafic (the French senate published yesterday a worrying report about the growth of the narco-economy, and of corruption, in France, and the very same day, 5 cops were shot down during the evasion of a drug dealer in Normandy), unable to restaure the order in threatened territories such as Mayotte (uncontrolled migration flows feeding endemic insecurity, failure of the potable water network and a Cholera epidemic) or Nouvelle Caledonie (riotting right now).

Rogues can do whatever they please in broad daylight, without any fear of sanction, but lawful ordinary citizens will have to follow bizarre rules just to be allowed to cross the street, all for the sake of the "show" (the Olympic Games' great potlatch) !

- And wait until you get the bill…

maximus otter

We had this at the Commonwealth games in Glasgow in 2014. It worked well but the scale is rather different here.

https://www.commonwealthsport.com/commonwealth-games/glasgow-2014

For those of us in the 'burbs the black taxis really stepped up and took charge of ferrying people about and knowing all the routes and rights :)

Astonishingly (to me anyway) we came out in profit when all was done and dusted and people were very nice about Glasgow in various international groups. No mean city...

Last edited:
15-minute city advocates will be watching...

"The French capital Paris will be split into zones this summer, with anyone wanting to enter certain areas required to show a pass on their phone.

SEC_204039208-a15e.jpg

Special measures will be in place throughout the city as part of increased security around the Olympic Games, which start in July.

Anyone wishing to enter certain zones, including residents, will have to apply for a special Pass Jeux (games pass) on a platform run by police.

It mostly applies to people driving, but even pedestrians will need to show a QR code to enter an area called the ‘grey zone’ around the River Seine in the centre, where the opening ceremony will take place.

The codes will be checked at access points along the entrance to each zone, manned by officers.

Applications for the passes opened today, with people needing to upload various documents to be authorised."

https://metro.co.uk/2024/05/14/parts-paris-will-off-limits-without-a-qr-code-olympics-20837179/

maximus otter
Tricky for people such as me who have difficulties with using a smartphone because of bad eyesight and zombies finger or overactive finger that makes touchscreens a problem.

I was reading about the guy they think may have masterminded the ambush and it said that all the prisoners in the prison he is in have mobile phones and that items are even thrown over the walls by people on the outside.

I would think that this problem could be stopped quite easily and also bring in new laws where if a prisoner is caught with a mobile phone, they get, say an extra five years.

Also stiff penalties for anyone caught smuggling phones/contraband in.

What it comes down to in my opinion, are that the prisoners have far too many rights.

Back