• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Peripheral Spectres At Work

A

Anonymous

this is my last post for awhile, i swear.

i work at a blueprint company in svannah,ga.
my position has me upstairs, all alone in the decrepit work area that houses the large copier, laminator, mounting equipment and outdated blueline machines.

surprisingly, the old equipment, poor lighting and solitude don't bother me.
heck, what i keep seeing i'm even used to.

out of the side of my vision (where i stand at the copier it's always to my left) where the stairwell comes up and where one would walk across to the bathroom around the corner from me, i keep seeing something, not definitavely a figure, but something with a light torso and dark top, move from the stairwell towards the bathroom. I get the impression it's a girl with long dark hair in a white dress- and ironically, everyone here seems to have seen and sensed the same thing.
I didn't always work up here alone, there were once at least two other guys up here with me. the first time i remarked about the vision, one fellow, Jason, said-'oh, you mean her?'
another guy mike didn't even want to look toward that side of the room,ever. Another guy Patrick, a big bear of a guy with no sense of humor and no strong belief in the occult, was still shaken when he told me of a night that he stayed late running a big job and saw the full figure of a girl at the top of the stairs. she was looking directly at him, and then went to the bathroom.
He walked to where he could see the bathroom door, and saw it was open and unoccupied. he started searching because it was a dangerous workplace, and not fit for a kid to get lost. he went downstairs to ask the others who had to stay late if they had let thier kid come upstairs. None had brought a child.
it has become such a daily occurance that it no longer worries me. I'd like to chalk it up to floaters in my eys, but everyone here has a story to match what i see.

Have you ever checked out the history of the building, who used to work there, any accidents or suchlike?

the history of the building differs.

as we know it, it was built in the 50's. before then, it occupied another space next door, which is now a bank drive thru.

the boss (who believes strongly in this girl) said the house that was here previously burnt down.
another person at work, who claims to have had the girl come up to her, says she thinks the girl was run over by one of the first automobiles in town in the street in front of said house. (a story and woman not to be taken too seriously, however)

having access to some of the old maps on file, i have looked at our block circa 1870 something, and there was a cemetery across the street from us under what is now a court building, which is beside an old church,lending sense to the cemetery being there.

savannah was actually rated the most haunted city in america recently...and boy are they exploiting it. there are ghost tours in modified double decker hearses, and foot tours through cemeteries. i also know that we had a very bad yellow fever outbreak at some point, with great efforts made to quiet the panic-buy digging tunnels and crypts under the streets and many of the historic squares. the old hospital beside are largest park had (still has?) a tunnel connecting it to underneath the park.

other than that, i wouldn't suggest visiting savannah unless you are guaranteed to stay in or visit one of these haunted mansions. there is nothing to do here and crime is horrendous.

the history of the building differs.

as we know it, it was built in the 50's. before then, it occupied another space next door, which is now a bank drive thru.

the boss (who believes strongly in this girl) said the house that was here previously burnt down.
another person at work, who claims to have had the girl come up to her, says she thinks the girl was run over by one of the first automobiles in town in the street in front of said house. (a story and woman not to be taken too seriously, however)

having access to some of the old maps on file, i have looked at our block circa 1870 something, and there was a cemetery across the street from us under what is now a court building, which is beside an old church,lending sense to the cemetery being there.

savannah was actually rated the most haunted city in america recently...and boy are they exploiting it. there are ghost tours in modified double decker hearses, and foot tours through cemeteries. i also know that we had a very bad yellow fever outbreak at some point, with great efforts made to quiet the panic-buy digging tunnels and crypts under the streets and many of the historic squares. the old hospital beside our largest park had (still has?) a tunnel connecting it to underneath the park.

other than that, i wouldn't suggest visiting savannah unless you are guaranteed to stay in or visit one of these haunted mansions. there is nothing to do here and crime is horrendous.

Not so sure the cemetery would be connected to these sightings, ghost tend to stick to one site, and not cross the road :)
Can you verify the boss's story that there was a house there that burned down? That seems a more likely explanation. Possibly what is now the bathroom was once upon a time someone's bedroom ... ? can you access blueprints of the former building to check?

edited for speeling

Travbot's story reminds me of something a former co-worker of mine told me that happened to him a year or so ago at the office in which I still work (which isn't very old, maybe 20-25 years located in a busy surburban office park and as far as I know, was the first thing built on the site). He told me one Saturday night very late he was driving home from visiting his parents who live not far from the office at decided to pop into the office to grab some paperwork he'd forgotten to take with him when he left the day before (since he was going on vacation for a few days). His was the only car in the lot when he pulled in and the building was dark. When he went into the office, the only lights were the exit lights. He opted not to turn on the lights since he was just going to go down the hallway to his office and grab what he needed to take off his desk and go. It was light enough from the reddish glow of the exit lights to see down the hall, and he unlocked his office, turned on his desk lamp, and began to gather the paperwork he needed into a manila folder. He said about a minute after he entered his office, he heard a noise in the hall and poked his head into the hall but saw nothing. As soon as he turned around and walked back to his desk, he heard the noise again, this time closer. He said it sounded like a mix of somebody clearing their throat and a growl, and the hairs on the back of his neck stood up. He again looked out of his office, and said he saw this time a wispy smoky black shape out of the corner of his eye, going around the corner into the reception area at the end of the hall. He called out "Hello?" and of course got no reply. He walked to the end of the hallway, and looked out into the front part of the office, and again, just out of the corner of eye eye, saw the shape again, off to his right, in the semi-dark doorway to the break room (lit by the glow of the pop and snack vending machines). When he turned his head to look towards the shape, it wasn't there. He told me that he was getting a tad creeped out (especially with many tales of other weird occurances our co-workers, including myself, have relayed over the years that have happened in that office, but never to this former co-worker until that night). He hurried back to his office, grabbed the folder, turned the light off in his office, locked the door, and, glancing over his shoulder towards the break room on the way hurrying out and seeing nothing there, left the office. Some of the other things that have happened since I started working in this office a little over 5 years ago include my radio in my office being switched to a classical station even if I'm just out of this office a few seconds. This has happened numerous times. I've even tried locking my office door while my station is on, and going back in a few minutes later, and the station is changed. I can't explain that whatsoever, but it's creepy. A female co-worker in the office next to mine says that her ceiling tiles are sometimes askew when she comes in in the morning, but the next morning, if she doesn't ask our maintenance man to fix them first, will be back in place. My boss, who completely denies anything strange goes on in the office, has himself come into his locked office in the morning to find the framed photo of him and his wife turned upside down on more than one ocassion. We've asked the cleaning people about this and they tell us they don't dust our desks unless we request them to and furthermore, they don't know anything about the strange goings-on at the office, so far as I know, unless they've seen things while cleaning in the evening. The most recent thing that happened was a couple months ago, when a woman who works in another division of our company in another state was visiting our office for the day, and was using the copy machine in the little room next to the break room where we keep our copier and fax machines and felt someone tap her shoulder three times while she had her back to the door. She turned around and saw no one there, she left the room and went into the main area and asked our receptionist who just came into the copy room. Of course, the receptionist said no was was even near the copy room except her. That really gave this woman and all of us after she told us about it the creeps, and I still don't like to be in that room myself very long since hearing that, though I didn't have any problems with it before, and haven't had anything odd happen to me since then in there.

peripheral spectres

I've heard of a disease which causes people to see strange things in the coner of their eye like that. I can't remember if it is the eye or the brain affected. However, people have perfectly normal sight apart from these visions, which may only happen at the one time of day. Some people prefer not to be made better because the 'spectre' is really nice.:)

Why not get a check up if you can?

Having said that, it's amazing what you can pick up about a place without knowing its previous history.

I've read about that disease this very weekend. It mainly affects elderly men and the visions it produces are often erotic, hence the reluctance of 'sufferers' to accept treatment! :D

Sorry Lobelia, I can't resist

why did the Ghostie cross the road ?

to get to the other side ! :D

wasn't there a recent FT article about this very eye disease?

yeah i think so, and it's something i considered, but everyone else has had it too, or full on visions. what might be interesting is looking more into what frequencies, harmonics, and high energy machinery can do, not only to your mind but the environment, and there is alot of that in this building. i often wonder if ghost phenomena aren't just things getting played back like a record, atune to a certain frequency or something.
something that plays back when the right situation is set up, something similar to when it was 'recorded' by the environment.
anyways....

Back