• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Phantom cars/planes/trains?

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
One theory of ghosts is that they are emotional imprints on a place. Recorded there due to an extreme event that happened there, e.g. a murder.
That suggests the emotion/soul yadda yadda of the 'ghost' was left behind at the scene.
Whatever theory it is generally spiritual reasons put behind ghosts.
Soooo...how can a man-made item like a train or car appear in ghost form? How can a non-living entity reappear as a ghost when ghosts are generally regarded to be 'lost spirits/souls' of departed humans?

*stands back and admires the high quality structuring, explanation technique and grammar of my post*

Actually there is a far spookier version than ghost being spirits left behind. There is a rather cool theory that can explain such sighting as well as repeat-sightings that appear to interact with the viewer.

It states that what is happening is that the viewer of the apparition is him/herself stepping into the same space or viewpoint of the 'ghost' and that what you are seeing and feeling, ie cold, frightened, happy, nervous, is what the 'ghost', of the space you are presently occupying, felt and saw when they too stood there. That's why there are so many toilet and stairway ghost as there are many more opportunities for the viewer to be occupying the same space as a 'ghost' and therefore stumble into the same atmospheric conditions enabling you to 're-experience' the 'ghosts' sights sounds and feelings. When someone thinks they have been strangled by a ghost at night and then find out that someone was murdered in that same room it is not the strangler that has returned but you occupying the same space as the victim which enabled the victim to communicate its feelings to you if you should be receptive enough to pick up on them. If you see a ghost train or car then you may be occupying the same space as one of last passengers to see it before its crash, etc. It would explain why many people see ghosts who smile at them, or chase them, or think they are someone else. Perhaps you are 'inside' the ghost yourself and are merely seeing their reactions based on who they see when they see you. It also explains why there are more ghosts in older homes as there are many more experience-sites that you could stand or sit in - hotels too. :cool: Eh?

I often wonder if we all moved our furniture back to surrounding the fireplace instead of the telly (wherever we've chosen to put that) if we'd see more ghosts. Mind you. It certainly puts you off going to the loo at night. Or sitting in 'grandpa's chair' etc!:eek:

Chant said:
I often wonder if we all moved our furniture back to surrounding the fireplace instead of the telly (wherever we've chosen to put that) if we'd see more ghosts. Mind you. It certainly puts you off going to the loo at night. Or sitting in 'grandpa's chair' etc!:eek:

I was at a party with my sister a few years ago,she was sitting in a chair in the hallway and joking with a friend about how it used to belong to one of the people who lived there's grandfather,she said 'oh no,what if he died in it? It might be haunted' whereupon the chair jumped forward two feet!
(this was the same party where a certain person known to a lot of the people there,myself included,was seen and talked to(I definitely saw him)-even though he never went and was miles away at the time.The poor bloke was terrified when everyone told him!)

Chant said:
Actually there is a far spookier version than ghost being spirits left behind. There is a rather cool theory that can explain such sighting as well as repeat-sightings that appear to interact with the viewer.

It states that what is happening is that the viewer of the apparition is him/herself stepping into the same space or viewpoint of the 'ghost' and that what you are seeing and feeling, ie cold, frightened, happy, nervous, is what the 'ghost', of the space you are presently occupying, felt and saw when they too stood there. That's why there are so many toilet and stairway ghost as there are many more opportunities for the viewer to be occupying the same space as a 'ghost' and therefore stumble into the same atmospheric conditions enabling you to 're-experience' the 'ghosts' sights sounds and feelings. When someone thinks they have been strangled by a ghost at night and then find out that someone was murdered in that same room it is not the strangler that has returned but you occupying the same space as the victim which enabled the victim to communicate its feelings to you if you should be receptive enough to pick up on them. If you see a ghost train or car then you may be occupying the same space as one of last passengers to see it before its crash, etc. It would explain why many people see ghosts who smile at them, or chase them, or think they are someone else. Perhaps you are 'inside' the ghost yourself and are merely seeing their reactions based on who they see when they see you. It also explains why there are more ghosts in older homes as there are many more experience-sites that you could stand or sit in - hotels too. :cool: Eh?

Well, there's a theorum I've not heard before.
Explains well my initial query. Cheers :)

McAvennie said:
One theory of ghosts is that they are emotional imprints on a place... How can a non-living entity reappear as a ghost when ghosts are generally regarded to be 'lost spirits/souls' of departed humans?
Well, as you said yourself, that's one theory. There are others too - that the geological composition of the area can "film" an event in the manner of a hologram, that ghosts are unconcious psychic projections by the observer, or indeed they are projections within the observer's own mind having no objective reality at all.

With many Fort phenomena, I personally believe the mistake that many investigators make is in trying to ascribe one definitive explanation to each individual occurence: every example should in fact be taken on it's own merit, and the circumstances and context (yes, that word again) shoud be paramount in any enquiries.

So yes, while some ghosts may be departed souls, others may be subjectively viewed entities, others geo-physical recordings: and this last would allow apparitions of pretty much anything.

Stu neville - yes I completely agree. There are so many instances where sightings are replays. And then there are the ones that appear to interact with you. And then there's poltergeist activity!

There are definitely many varieties - but what I find interesting about this theory is the fact that it helps to explain why people feeling these sensations of a 'presence' under scientific testing are shown to be standing in areas of Ultra-low Frequency waves which therefore implies that it is the subject being affected. The researchers would have us believe that the ULF's are naturally occuring and accounts for 'ghostly presence' hallucinations. The fact that the apparition the subject 'sees' happens to be five feet away where nothing is detectable is an implication to some that the 'ghost' is the sighting itself and as it isn't detected is non existent. It is not within the ULF field and points to the subject hallucinating. If the theory I summarized above is a valid section of the whole truth then the ULF field could be the 'ghost' presence itself around the subject so that the ghost does indeed objectively exist (although to be found where they least expect the ghost to be). These ULF's can be caused by someone pneumatic drilling four streets away and is captured by the curvature of a wall here and here, lets say, OR what if the ULF's are the physical evidence of the presence itself?. Phew, did I get that out straight?:D

As far as I'm concerned there are so many examples of ghost sightings where the witness had not the slightest idea they were seeing a ghost until they disappeared or they found out the person was dead when they saw them - to me THESE are the 'spirits' left behind.

But when someone feels a 'presence', or feels cold and scared, like they're being watched, and THEN they look up to see something sinister, or even something fairly innocuous, it seems to me that the subject is more directly entangled within the experience itself rather than being a 'viewer' and THAT is when this theory comes into its own.

Well it's either that or we'll have to admit that there ARE sentient beings around out there who like to breath cold air on us before revealing themselves for the purposes of scaring the living shit out of us!!! Excuse my french.;)

Marion - that is quite creepy as it seems to imply that a sentient spirit took from your collective consciousness the look of someone you all knew, and who knew wouldn't be there (???), and used it to cloak their own presence at the party - it's that or astral projection or bi-location. There's more about other members on this site having the same thing, being seen, that is when they weren't there. It's on the Have You Seen a Ghost thread, I think! Strange times in a strange world indeed!

And I'm not even going to THINK about that chair!:eek!!!!:

Back