• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Phenomena Correlated With (Causing?) Earthquakes

A

Anonymous

Have there been studies of a correlation between perihelion and earthquakes?

Just from my own meandering memory, I'm certain we seem to get more earthquakes this time of year (Turkey, Albania, Greece, Afghanistan, and now Sumatra) around Xmas and New Year than during the period after the start of summer (aphelion of our orbit).

Could it be a slight increase in the Solar tidal effect as we swing away from the sun around winter solstice?

Perhaps. The Earth is nearer the sun at this time of year. (The fact that's it's the northern winter is to do with the tilt of the Earth's axis, not the distance from the sun.)

It was also full moon last night, giving increased tidal stesses.

Hugo: I'd be willing to play with numbers a little (though it's likely to take a little while. I have the raw data but no way to easily sort it). Do you have a specific timeframe (over/under one week from perihelion/aphelion) you were thinking of as parameters for a study? As far as events to use , I'd probably use the USGS standard for 'significant', >6.5 and/or deaths and/or widespread damage. Though obviously that's different than 'earthquakes'.

Thoughts?

There have been studies correlating volcanic activity with ice core information and it appears that volanic activity rises when the crust is being loaded and unloaded (at the beginning and end of glaciations respectively) - e.g. the Toba mega-eruption happened during the shift into the last Ice Age.

Clearly if we can see this kind of thing in records which are not going to be very finegrained but it does show that shifts in the stresses on the crust can have significant effects.

[edit: See this post:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15194 ]

I did a quick Google - some random informaiton:

There is seasonla variation in Japanese earthquakes possibly related to snow load:
http://www.ep.sci.hokudai.ac.jp/~heki/d ... wquake.htm

There has been some suggestions that it might correlate to changes in geomagnetism:
http://www.cosis.net/abstracts/EAE03/13 ... -13108.pdf

It has been known for a while that filling reservoirs can lead to earthquakes:
http://projecteuclid.org/Dienst/UI/1.0/ ... 1085496605

Study of Lunar Tidal Oscillation in Ionospheric F- region over Ahmedabad during Gujarat Bhuj Earthquake

B.M. Vyas & R. Pandey

Department of Physics, Sukhadia University, Udaipur 313 001

It is quite evident from the analysis of occurrence of past earthquake data that occurrence of earthquake is more prominent in winter and rare in summer. The past earthquakes are also mainly observed in dark moonday or after the few days of lunar eclipse. The Gujarat Bhuj earthquake is also one of the example which occurred after the two weeks of lunar eclipse. At the same time, lunar tide effect i.e. only gravitational force of the moon on the inner and outer part of the earth’s geophysical phenomenon. Furthermore, the coincidence of lunar eclipse before the earthquake seems to be one of the initial possible sources of triggering process of the earthquake. With this view, the present study is aimed to study the lunar tidal variation in F- region parameters over Ahmedabad (Geo. Lat. 23.01’N, Geo Long. 72.6’E) during winter season of year 1999, 2000 and 2001. Recently, Aframovich et al (2000, 2001) have also reported the ionospheric total electron content’s effect during earth quake using sophisticated and accurate measurement of Total Electron Content using GPS. However, they observed the generation of shock acoustic wave during the earthquake as identification of precursor of earthquake. As Ahmedabad is quite near to center position of earthquake and lunar variation in ionospheric parameters show seasonal trend, therefore the study of lunar daily variation in foF2, hpF2 and hoF2 over Ahmedabad during winter seasons of year 1999,2000 and 2001 are presented in this paper. Residual hourly departures from monthly mean values at each particular solar hour are computed in eliminating the solar effect. These values are arranged in lunar time reckoned from lowest transit, counting 25 solar hours to lunar day. An average variation in lunar time during one lunar month is obtained. After repeating this process and removing a non-cyclic variation, the variation average in lunar time during winter season of year 2001 are compared with same variation during the year 1999 and 2000. These variation gives the evidence of effect of earthquake on lunar tide that during earth quake’ month, the lunar tidal variation do not exhibit the its normal trend i.e luni semidiurnal nature. But, it shows the prominence of lunar diurnal nature from the analysis of winter season of 2001 and strong semidiurnal variation in winter seasons of 1999 and 2000. Further, the amplitude of lunar diurnal component is also found higher i.e 3.5% of its mean value in earthquake period from luni semidiurnal component i.e.2.2% of its mean values during normal winter months. The further and detailed results would be discussed in the paper.

http://home.iitk.ac.in/~ramesh/vyas1.doc

Purely from gut feeling, period of up to three weeks after solstice.

I'm not sure that the physics is holds water but wouldn't the stresses be higher moving out of the gravity well as we decelerate away from the sun?

As a complete side bar, why does the illumination of the face of the moon affect tides? The moon is always there as a gravitic centre... something I've never seen properly explained.

Hugo Cornwall said:
As a complete side bar, why does the illumination of the face of the moon affect tides? The moon is always there as a gravitic centre... something I've never seen properly explained.

At full moon the moon is on the opposite side to the sun and so the gravity will be more venly spread. When it is a new moon the moon and sun line up concerntrating the pull on one side of the planet. See the graphic here:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~krcool/Astro/moon/moonphase/

There is the "Syzygy Theory" of the connection of the moon'sphases to earthquakes:

http://www.simplecodeworks.com/quakes/Quakes.htm

See also:
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/g ... n99048.htm

While searching the MB on an unrelated topic I came across this that Emps posted last year * Nice day for an eruption *, with the part that caught my eye being:

Research published last week in the Journal of Geophysical Research is the latest to suggest this can and does happen. Ben Mason, David Pyle and colleagues at Cambridge University examined the timings of more than 3,000 eruptions that occurred across the globe between 1700 and 1999. Their surprising findings reveal that the timing of volcanic activity is not random, but clustered, with more eruptions happening between November and March.

Now I realize that earthquakes can and do happen independently of volcano eruptions (though volcano eruptions are almost always accompanied by quakes), but I wonder if this might be relevant? I'd alo be curious as to whether they broke down the data any more tightly, with say a peak of Dec/Jan within the larger cluster?

I still haven't set aside the time to try to do the number-crunching I mentioned earlier in this thread, sorry.

lopaka: I think it would be safe to assume that similar crustal stresses work on both volcanoes an earthquakes - we just have a better understanding of the timedepth of volcanic eruptions from ice cores.

RE: Sunspots & Earthquakes

This is a great article I found on the Daily Grail, a great site in itself, Sunspots seem to effect everything and scientists are predicting a 50% stronger cycle in the next 11 year phase, just about to start I believe.

http://thunderbolts.info/tpod/2006/arch ... quakes.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Plankton blooms linked to quakes

Concentrations of the natural pigment chlorophyll in coastal waters have been shown to rise prior to earthquakes.
These chlorophyll increases are due to blooms of plankton, which use the pigment to convert solar energy to chemical energy via photosynthesis.

A joint US-Indian team of researchers analysed satellite data on ocean coastal areas lying near the epicentres of four recent quakes.

Details of the research appear in the journal Advances in Space Research.

They say that monitoring peaks in chlorophyll could provide early information on an impending earthquake.

The authors say the chlorophyll blooms are linked to a release of thermal energy prior to an earthquake.

This causes the sea surface temperature to rise and increases the surface latent heat flux - the amount of energy moving from the surface to the air due to evaporation.

And in turn, there is enhanced upwelling - the process by which cold, nutrient-rich water is transported from the deep sea to the surface.

In bloom

Upwelling boosts phytoplankton productivity and gives rise to blooms, which can be seen as increased concentrations of chlorophyll, specifically, the type called chlorophyll-a.

The grinding of plate tectonics essentially couples the temperature of the land with that of the ocean, creating the conditions for plankton to thrive.

"I do not think scientists expected such anomalous behaviour of [chlorophyll-a]," co-author Dr Ramesh Singh of the Indian Institute of Technology in Kanpur, India, said.

"If the epicentre of a quake lies very close to the coast then anomalous [chlorophyll-a] concentrations are clearly visible along that coast."

The researchers used as case studies four recent earthquakes in Gujarat, India (2001), Algeria (2002), the Andaman Islands (2002) and Bam, Iran (2003).

Using satellite images and measurements of sea temperatures, they found a correlation between peaks in chlorophyll and proximity to an impending earthquake.

The amount of "advance notice" depended on the ocean depth and proximity to the epicentre of the quake, with the second factor taking precedence.

In the event of heavy cloud cover preventing satellites from monitoring chlorophyll production, sea temperatures could serve as a parallel means of information on impending earthquakes, argue the researchers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4750557.stm

Coal Mining Causing Earthquakes, Study Says
Richard A. Lovett
for National Geographic News

January 3, 2007
The most damaging earthquake in Australia's history was caused by humans, new research says.

The magnitude-5.6 quake that struck Newcastle, in New South Wales, on December 28, 1989, killed 13 people, injured 160, and caused 3.5 billion U.S. dollars worth of damage (Australia map).

That quake was triggered by changes in tectonic forces caused by 200 years of underground coal mining, according to a study by Christian D. Klose of Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory in Palisades, New York.

The quake wasn't enormous, but Australia isn't generally considered to be seismically active and the city's buildings weren't designed to withstand a temblor of that magnitude, Klose said.

All told, he added, the monetary damage done by the earthquake exceeded the total value of the coal extracted in the area.

Klose presented his findings at a meeting of the American Geophysical Union in San Francisco, California last month.

Heavy Burden

The removal of millions of tons of coal from the area caused much of the stress that triggered the Newcastle quake, Klose said. (Related: "Mountaintop Mining Raises Debate in Coal Country" [January 13, 2006].)

But even more significant was groundwater pumping needed to keep the mines from flooding.

"For each ton of coal produced, 4.3 times more water was extracted," Klose said.

Other mining operations, he added, sometimes require as much as 150 tons of water to be removed for each ton of coal produced.

"So this is on the low end," he said.

Coal mining isn't the only human activity that can trigger earthquakes.

Klose has identified more than 200 human-caused temblors, mostly in the past 60 years. "They were rare before World War II," he said.

Most were caused by mining, he said, but nearly one-third came from reservoir construction.

Oil and gas production can also trigger earthquakes, he added.

Three of the biggest human-caused earthquakes of all time, he pointed out, were a trio that occurred in Uzbekistan's Gazli natural gas field between 1976 and 1984 (map of Uzbekistan).

Each of the three had a magnitude greater than 6.8, and the largest had a magnitude of 7.3.

Human-triggered earthquakes are particularly dangerous, Klose said, if they occur in seismically inactive areas.

That's partly because people aren't prepared for them. But also, he said, "regions that are naturally inactive are very trigger-sensitive, because stress has built up over long periods of time."

Expensive Implications

Klose's presentation drew considerable attention from the assembled geophysicists, who wondered if there were ways to reduce the risk by altering mining practices.

"One way would be to find a way that doesn't reduce the water in the mine," Klose said.

But as far as he knows, mining engineers aren't examining this, because they are currently unaware of the earthquake risk.

The danger is also relevant to proposals to sequester carbon dioxide by injecting it into geologic formations deep underground where the gas cannot escape and contribute to global warming.

"That alters stress in the crust [too]," Klose said, adding that the risk of earthquakes should be taken into account in planning the locations of such facilities.

Basically, he said, "don't put the injection fields close to large cities."

The research could also have an impact on earthquake-insurance premiums, André Unger of the University of Waterloo, in Ontario, told National Geographic News by email.

The precise method by which premiums are calculated is a deeply guarded trade secret, but they appear to be based on a region's historical earthquake risk—"a purely statistical methodology," he said.

The new finding indicates that other factors are now at work, he said.

Furthermore, Unger noted that underground carbon sequestration might be a mixed blessing from insurance companies' points of view

A carbon-sequestration plan could reduce the risk of some types of damage (such as from hurricanes, which some scientists say are being strengthened by global warming), while increasing the risk of others, like earthquakes.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... quake.html

not only mining:
'Green energy' project gives Swiss the shakes
By Bojan Pancevski in Vienna
Last Updated: 12:24am GMT 18/02/2007

Swiss prosecutors are investigating a green energy project after it was revealed that it caused earthquakes.

The inquiry was launched after experts confirmed that the Deep Heat Mining project to exploit geothermal energy near the north-west border city of Basel had caused tremors measuring 3.3 on the Richter scale.

The project involved injecting large quantities of pressurised water into three-mile-deep boreholes, where underground temperatures reach 200C. The super-heated water is circulated back to the surface where it is used to produce steam and drive a turbine to generate electricity.

But Geopower Basel, the company behind the scheme, was forced to stop pumping water into the hot rock layer following a series of powerful earthquakes, which were felt up to 10 miles away.

Jean Ueberschlag, the mayor of nearby Saint Louis in France, wrote to the Swiss authorities demanding a halt to the experiment. He said: "You don't have the right to play with the safety of our populations."

Prosecutors are now investigating everyone involved in the project to determine possible criminal responsibility, amid allegations that project officials knew there was a risk of triggering earthquakes.

The four quakes, the latest of which took place two weeks ago, caused panic in Basel, Switzerland's third largest city, as people sought shelter from what appeared to be a natural disaster.

Houses and other property sustained only minor damage but seismologists, who -confirmed that the quakes were caused by the project, warned the local population that stronger seismic activity could occur even though the project has been temporarily halted.

Basel is one of the areas in Switzerland most prone to seismic activity. In 1356, the city was almost entirely destroyed by a quake of 6.5 on the Richter scale. Swiss prosecutors say that all partners in the scheme could face charges of causing material damages and "spreading fear" among the population.

Peter Gill, a spokesman for Basel prosecutors, said: "We are investigating everyone involved in the project and experts are documenting the damages to determine whether house owners can sue."

It was revealed that project officials were warned of the possibility of seismic activity before injecting the pressurised water into the hot rock layer, but according to a company spokesman, it was not expected that the quakes would be felt on the surface.

However, a 2006 report by the Swiss Seismological Service, a government body, warned that the drilling could "enhance the probability of occurrence of an earthquake". The report concluded that "the seismic risk in Basel cannot be underestimated".

Nicholas Deichmann of the Swiss Seismological Institute said: "One cannot rule out further tremors of similar strength, if not stronger, because the water is in the rock and will only disappear gradually."

A group of independent experts has been asked to prepare a detailed report on the earthquakes and advise the government if and how the project could be resumed.

With strong opposition to nuclear power, the Deep Heat Mining project was widely embraced in Switzerland as an environmentally-friendly and risk-free renewable source of energy. It is partially financed by the Swiss government and is meant to provide electricity for 10,000 homes and heat for over 2,700. It has so far cost about \u20AC40 million. Public enthusiasm for the project has dropped since the tremors.

Similar projects have been tested in Australia, Japan and the United States, but none of them caused the same reaction. Earthquakes of such magnitude are not known to have been caused by human activity before.
http://tinyurl.com/ynwvju

The original article is a bit more fringey than it appears at first the Journal for Scientific Explanation is way off the mainstream and the article goes on about the Electric Universe model which is even further off the mainstream.

The connection the article makes between sunspots and earthquakes is to say the least pretty speculative, and the science is way out on the fringe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pre-quake changes seen in rocks

Scientists have made an important advance in their efforts to predict earthquakes, the journal Nature says.

A team of US researchers has detected stress-induced changes in rocks that occurred hours before two small tremors in California's San Andreas Fault.

The observations used sensors lowered down holes drilled into the quake zone. The team says we are a long way from routine tremor forecasts but the latest findings hold out hope that such services might be possible one day.

"If you had 10 hours' warning, from a practical point of view, you could evacuate populations, you could certainly get people out of buildings, you could get the fire department ready," said co-author Paul Silver of the Carnegie Institution for Science, Washington.

"Hurricane [warnings] give you an idea of what could be done," he told BBC News.

Speed measurements

The new work comes out of the San Andreas Fault Observatory at Depth (Safod) project which has been set up in Parkfield, a tiny rural town halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco.

The town experiences small to moderate-sized quakes at regular intervals as the Pacific and North American tectonic plates grind against one another along the San Andreas Fault.

Safod has drilled two holes - a shallow pilot hole, and a deeper hole right into the heart of the shifting rocks. The idea has been to recover sub-surface material for study in the lab and to use instrumentation in the holes to observe changes in the rock over time.

In one experiment, the scientists used a piezoelectric device to generate seismic waves a kilometre down in one hole and then timed their arrival at a receiver seismometer in the other.

"What we're looking for are changes in the velocity that would correspond to changes in stress, and it has been hypothesised that such stress changes would precede seismic events and could be used as precursors," said Dr Silver, explaining that wave speed varies with stress due to cracks opening and closing in the rock.

"For a long time, people have been trying to do this. I think right now the technology has gotten better so we can measure this change more accurately."

'Just enough'

The team - which includes researchers from Rice University and the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory - measured significant changes in seismic wave speed just before two small earthquakes.
Sensors must be placed deep below the surface to study quakes up close

In one instance, the signal was seen two hours before the quake; in the second, the change occurred 10 hours before the tremor.

The scientists tell Nature that the measurements are an encouraging sign that hold promise for the field of earthquake prediction.

"We are very encouraged by these pre-seismic signals and are planning a series of experiments to expand on them, so that we may further understand their timing and physical basis," said lead author Fenglin Niu of Rice University.

Referring to the 12 May Sichuan quake, which claimed thousands of lives, Dr Niu told the BBC: "What happened in China was that a lot of children were killed in school in their class; so if we can predict earthquakes even by a few minutes, we can help then to evacuate the classroom."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7497672.stm

This science story illustrates that sometimes the way to come up with a better hypothesis is to simply flip or reverse the relationship(s) in a prior hypothesis that hasn't survived testing ...
Scientists figured out how tides cause earthquakes
... Scientists have figured out why earthquakes along mid-ocean ridges occur during low tides.

For 20 years, scientists have known about the link between earthquakes and tides. But because most mid-ocean ridges feature vertical faults, or faults featuring steeply inclined planes, researchers assumed earthquake-generating slips would be more likely to occur at high tide. The seismic data showed the opposite was happening.

"Low tides would reduce the vertical force, which should inhibit sliding and hence earthquakes," Christopher Scholz, a seismologist at Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, told UPI.

Researchers were stumped by the paradox, but Scholz and his colleagues discovered an explanation. ...

The earthquakes along mid-ocean ridges are triggered by the expansion and contraction of the magma chambers below. The discovery -- described this week in the journal Nature Communications -- was made possible by a network of seafloor instruments along the Pacific's Juan de Fuca ridge, which helped scientists measure the fault's movements and model potential explanations for the seismic activity.

"We were able to solve this paradox by including the response of the magma chamber to the tides," Scholz said.

Scholz and his colleagues realized that during low tide, less water mass is pressing down on the soft pocket of molten rock below the volcanic ridge. As a result, the magma chamber expands. When it does, the bottom fault block is pushed upwards, sliding along the top block. The movement triggers earthquakes. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Science_News/20...ut-how-tides-cause-earthquakes/2721559921823/

Forces from Earth's spin may spark earthquakes and volcanic eruptions at Mount Etna

Source: phys.org
Date: 28 December, 2019

New research suggests forces pulling on Earth's surface as the planet spins may trigger earthquakes and eruptions at volcanoes.

Seismic activity and bursts of magma near Italy's Mount Etna increased when Earth's rotational axis was furthest from its geographic axis, according to a new study comparing changes in Earth's rotation to activity at the well-known Italian volcano.

Earth's spin doesn't always line up perfectly with its north and south poles. Instead, the geographic poles often twirl like a top around Earth's rotational axis when viewed from space. Every 6.4 years, the axes line up and the wobble fades for a short time—until the geographic poles move away from the spin axis and begin to spiral once again.

This phenomenon, called polar motion, is driven by changes in climate due to things like changing seasons, melting ice sheets or movement from tectonic plates. As polar motion fluctuates, forces pulling the planet away from the sun tug at Earth's crust, much like tides due to the gravitational pull from the sun and moon. The tide from polar motion causes the crust to deform over the span of seasons or years. This distortion is strongest at 45 degrees latitude, where the crust moves by about 1 centimeter (0.4 inches) per year.

Now, a new study published in AGU's journal Geophysical Research Letters suggests that polar motion and subsequent shifts in Earth's crust may increase volcanic activity.

"I find it quite exciting to know that while climate drives Earth's spin, its rotation can also drive volcanoes and seismicity," said Sébastien Lambert, a geophysicist at Paris Observatory in France and lead author of the study.

The new findings, however, don't allow scientists to forecast volcanic activity. Although the study suggests earthquakes might be more common or volcanic eruptions may eject more lava when the distance between Earth's geographic and rotational axes is at its peak, the timescale is too large for meaningful short-term forecasts, according to the authors.

But the results point to an interesting concept. "It's the first time we've found this relationship in this direction from Earth's rotation to volcanoes," Lambert said. "It's a small excitation process, but if you accumulate a small excitation over a long time it can lead to measurable consequences."

https://phys-org.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/phys.org/news/2019-12-earth-earthquakes-volcanic-eruptions-mount.amp?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE=#referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://phys.org/news/2019-12-earth-earthquakes-volcanic-eruptions-mount.html

Italy is 'carbonated', and not in a good way ... Results of a long-term study in Italy suggest earthquakes there are correlated with, and possibly triggered by, subterranean upwelling of highly pressurized CO2 (carbon dioxide).
New Study Indicates Major Earthquakes in Italy Are Linked to Hidden CO2 Emissions

Immediately after the L'Aquila earthquake, a team from the Italian National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology started measuring the carbon dioxide that was bubbling up in nearby springs, hoping to detect what earthly processes – aside from plate tectonics – might have triggered the seismic shock.

They continued to sample spring waters until 2018, comparing pulses of dissolved CO2 gas that originated deep underground with records of seismic activity. In that time, two more major earthquakes would rock the region.

L'Aquila sits among the Apennine mountain range that runs the length of the Italian peninsula. Beneath L'Aquila, northeast of Rome, lie two groundwater aquifers which feed into surface springs. This is where the researchers could measure the CO2 spewing up from below.

Expulsions of CO2 in earthquake zones have been measured in the Apennines and elsewhere before - for example, at points along the East African rift that cuts through Ethiopia to Mozambique.

But this decade-long geochemical investigation reveals, for the first time, the relationship between earthquakes and buried CO2 that escapes along fault lines through springs and vents over time. It hints at just how forceful CO2 might be beneath the ground, and could bolster predictions of earthquakes to come. ...

Measuring the carbon content in 36 springs around L'Aquila between 2009 to 2018, the researchers showed how this process aligns with earthquake activity.

"The Apenninic earthquakes in the last decade are clearly associated with the ascent of deeply derived CO2," they said in a press statement. ...

FULL STORY:
https://www.sciencealert.com/italian-mountains-burping-co2-linked-to-major-earthquakes

PUBLISHED PAPER:
https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/6/35/eabc2938

Back