• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Philip Jose Farmer

A

Anonymous

This has nothing to do with physics, but has anyone here read Tarzan Alive by Philip Jose Farmer? Interesting book--he attempts to prove Tarzan really existed, and was, in fact, related to Doc Savage. I'm not joking! Although I think it's a work of fiction passed off as research, it's still a fun read.

This has nothing to do with physics, but has anyone here read Tarzan Alive by Philip Jose Farmer? Interesting book

I don't remember reading that one, but, it rings a bell. I do remember one by Farmer in which he disclosed the real reason why Phileas Fogg had to travel round the world in 80 days (The Other Log of Phileas Fogg). I seem to remember him writing a spoof bio of Doc Savage (Doc Savage: His Apocalyptic Life) [Isn't Google great?].

I had a compilation of sf stories based around superheros. It included the original short story `The Superman' by, I don't know who. It also had a story about the love life of Superman and Lois Lane. Either Superman, in achieving orgasm, would blow the top of Lois' head off, or, the Supersperm would fertilize every egg at once.

I'd never thought of that before. The only solution, of course, would be for Superman to be exposed to, gold kryptonite. Thereby removing his Super powers and turning him into an ordinary man.

AndroMan said:
I had a compilation of sf stories based around superheros. It included the original short story `The Superman' by, I don't know who. It also had a story about the love life of Superman and Lois Lane. Either Superman, in achieving orgasm, would blow the top of Lois' head off, or, the Supersperm would fertilize every egg at once.

I'd never thought of that before. The only solution, of course, would be for Superman to be exposed to, gold kryptonite. Thereby removing his Super powers and turning him into an ordinary man.

Can't remember who it was by but the title of the essay was memorable enough:-

"Man of Steel, Woman of Tissue"

Other problems explored were the issues of having a superchild gestating in a human womb.

Reminds me a tad of the scene in Mallrats where Stan Lee is questioned about superhero's attributes

AndroMan said:
I don't remember reading that one, but, it rings a bell. I do remember one by Farmer in which he disclosed the real reason why Phileas Fogg had to travel round the world in 80 days (The Other Log of Phileas Fogg). I seem to remember him writing a spoof bio of Doc Savage (Doc Savage: His Apocalyptic Life) [Isn't Google great?].
TorgosPizza said:
This has nothing to do with physics, but has anyone here read Tarzan Alive by Philip Jose Farmer? Interesting book--he attempts to prove Tarzan really existed, and was, in fact, related to Doc Savage. I'm not joking! Although I think it's a work of fiction passed off as research, it's still a fun read.

Been trying abso-bloody-lutely desparately to get hold of those books for years to no avail. Neither by hook or by crook can I get hold of those either from bookshops or second hand.

It's part of his Wold-Newton universe exploration I believe which places the origins of these exceptional people (and many others of pulp/popular fiction origins) and their gifts at the site of a meteorite crash which forever empowers their genetic line.

The full details are explored here

http://www.pjfarmer.com/woldnewton/Pulp.htm

If anyone ever finds where I can easily obtain copies of these books please let me know!

Been trying abso-bloody-lutely desparately to get hold of those books for years to no avail. Neither by hook or by crook can I get hold of those either from bookshops or second hand.

Inprint books 31 High st, Stroud. Are usually pretty good on SF.

They do a book search on their web site:

www.inprint.co.uk Plug! Plug!

Yuo could also try Andomeda Bookshop in Birmingham. They have a huge collection of second hand books

They were insolvent, but they've recovered now and are trading nomally again

8¬)

Carnacki said:
Can't remember who it was by but the title of the essay was memorable enough:-

"Man of Steel, Woman of Tissue"

Other problems explored were the issues of having a superchild gestating in a human womb.

Reminds me a tad of the scene in Mallrats where Stan Lee is questioned about superhero's attributes

Actually it was "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex"

Niles "Larry Niven Fan" Calder

Speaking of Tarzan and Doc Savage, if there are any Warren Ellis fans in the house, how did you like the first arc of Planetary? It was better than his Authority work, IMHO. Planetary is the Fortean comic, and I'd love to get that Authority/Planetary one-shot, although I've never seen it at retail. I could easily imagine Snow and Jakita getting annoyed by the Authority rather quickly.

Niles Calder said:
Actually it was "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex"

Niles "Larry Niven Fan" Calder

I sit corrected. Thanks for filling in the blanks.

:)

What about when Superman takes a piss, shouldn't he also make big holes in the urinal?

Interesting point... would the largely solor powered kryptonian metabolism actually be able to process earth food such that there was any waste product?

8¬)

TorgosPizza said:
Speaking of Tarzan and Doc Savage, if there are any Warren Ellis fans in the house, how did you like the first arc of Planetary? It was better than his Authority work, IMHO. Planetary is the Fortean comic, and I'd love to get that Authority/Planetary one-shot, although I've never seen it at retail. I could easily imagine Snow and Jakita getting annoyed by the Authority rather quickly.

I think we have some copies at work, but we're not set up for Mail Order... Go to your FNCS and see if they can't order it in for you :)

Niles "Friendly Neighbourhood Comic Shop" Calder

And just why doesn't the incredible hulk end up butt ass nekked?

Originally posted by Niles Calder
I think we have some copies at work, but we're not set up for Mail Order... Go to your FNCS and see if they can't order it in for you

Unfortunately, my FNCS is fairly worthless, Niles. In fact, I have to go to a regular bookstore to order trade paperbacks. If the local FNCS ever gets in what's been ordered (I feel at times he doesn't place the orders he claims to have), he has no qualms throwing it out on the rack to sell to whomever gets there first, which defeats the purpose of the customer placing the order.

Do you work for a publisher or or bookseller or something, Niles? That's defininately gotta be a fun job. Bookstores seem like a nice, relaxed environment to work in.

Back