• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Physiological weather forecasting

intaglio

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
"Weather" forecasting

The following article from icNewcastle makes you kind of wonder what sort of ability is being used here?

One in four 'can forecast the weather'

Mar 11 2002

By The Journal

An uncanny knack of knowing when to pack
an extra woolly without seeing the weather forecast might be down to more than chance, a North-East psychologist believes.

For one in four of us might have a special gift for predicting the twists and turns of chaotic systems like the weather, claims Professor Richard Heath, of Sunderland University's Business School.

His latest research had volunteers being shown two sets of temperature figures for the previous eight days and asked to predict the results for the next four days. One set of figures was similar to real weather patterns, while the other set was random.

Built-in controls ensured they couldn't cheat.

A quarter of those involved correctly predicted for the next two days, amazing Prof Heath, whose work has earned recognition by the New Scientist.

Now he is hoping to continue his work on Wearside to find out whether the theory could be applied to decide whether some people might be better at predicting how to make their fortune in the financial markets, or to help managers chose suitable employees.

"The results were quite unbelievable. We still have some work to do to understand what is going on in these people's heads but the results are very promising," said Professor Heath.

"We are not talking about people being psychic. But if someone was to say that people can't predict the future I would say I think they can."

He added: "In the Sunderland Business School I am hoping to continue it to study the implications for the money market and investment divisions. It might be that some people have more intuition for the markets.

He added: "I don't think it's going to help us predict things like the lottery or the racing results."

This story was also discussed on the Chaos theory thread (I think).

This treatment is a bit misleading, as it seems to focus on weather forecasting, which was not the point of the experiment.

But apropos wx forecasting, you get good percentage results (about 70%?) if you say tomorrow's weather will be the same as today's!

It certainly works round here - "Changeable" covers most days in the year!

When I saw it was 1 in 4 I was thinking one guy said it would be cloudy, another sunny, a third raining and a fourth snowing. Then that would really cover it :)

But a badly written article.

rynner said:
But apropos wx forecasting, you get good percentage results (about 70%?) if you say tomorrow's weather will be the same as today's!

I think that it is even higher than that! (I recall something closer to 90%.):)

I got absolutely drenched today - bloody weathermen "fine and sunny" indeed!

Bear in mind that the Prof's statistics show that 75% of people can't predict the weather.

Jane.

I think that what is significant here is the apparent ability to predict complex behaviours minimal information.

The obvious question is "what are humans working with that machines dion't have?"

Back