• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Police Hunting Mystery Swordsman

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Police hunting mystery swordsman

Police on Tyneside are seeking a man carrying a sword who came to the aid of plain clothes officers during a burglary attempt.
The officers were threatened by a man with a knife after they discovered armed men trying to break into a house in Laygate, South Shields.

Another man armed with a samurai sword appeared and attacked the man with the knife, before leaving the scene.

Three men have been charged with aggravated burglary.

One faces an additional charge of attempted wounding with intent to resist arrest.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 251079.stm

What's the betting that the police want to arrest this man, rather than thank him?

Why is it whenever you hear of anyone being attacked with a sword, it is always a samurai sword? Why never any sabres or medieval swords?

Xanatico said:
Why is it whenever you hear of anyone being attacked with a sword, it is always a samurai sword? Why never any sabres or medieval swords?

Because therte can only be... ONE!

BlackRiverFalls said:
because samurai swords are f*cking cool? not to mention f*cking sharp with it...

became cooler and sharper since Uma Thurman wielded one.

Being a medieveal reenactor I can tell you "knight swords" are pretty damn cool as well. :D Though I wonder if it is allowed to sell samurai swords to just anybody, I would have thought you´d need a special permission to own them.

Xanatico said:
Being a medieveal reenactor I can tell you "knight swords" are pretty damn cool as well. :D Though I wonder if it is allowed to sell samurai swords to just anybody, I would have thought you´d need a special permission to own them.

No you just have to be over 17, samurai swords have harder edges so can stay sharp longer than a western blade and have a different method of sharpening which gets a better edge to start with, however the western sword is more robust and plenty sharp for lopping off the odd arm.

The reason we see so many samurai sword articles in the news is because millions of cheap stainless steel samurai swords with a kitchen knife edge are made in China they would be next to useless in a fight with an armed oppo but still deadly against an unarmed oppo, stainless steel is a comparatively brittle steel and will readily shatter. Swords are more glamorous to the media but ultimately no more lethal than a stick or a builders tool.

Xanatico said:

A chap I used to know managed to get himself arrested after going on a drunken rampage with a medieval long sword.

One of my fellow re-enactors had a drunken lout try slashing at him with a small camping knife. Lucky he was wearing a chainmail hauberk under his coat, to 'wear in' his shoulders to the weight.
While the assailant stood stunned at the non-effect of his attack, said 'victim' beat ten barrels of crud out of him!

Stormkhan said:
One of my fellow re-enactors had a drunken lout try slashing at him with a small camping knife. Lucky he was wearing a chainmail hauberk under his coat, to 'wear in' his shoulders to the weight.
While the assailant stood stunned at the non-effect of his attack, said 'victim' beat ten barrels of crud out of him!

Ha ha!!! That's what I like to hear! :lol:

the lives of history re-enactors are obviously way more thrilling than that of ordinary joes...I can just see myself as Con Markiewicz in a big 1916 re-enactment...and i only need a 20 ft pike for 1798!

After the failed attempt with the camping knife, your friend should have said "That´s not a knife..." and pulled out a broadsword. :)

Back