• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Protect & Survive (Nuclear War Preparedness)

Construction of Europe's Largest Doomsday Stockpile Quietly Gets Underway

Finland is stockpiling emergency supplies to help prepare for a potential nuclear catastrophe, in an EU-funded project spurred by the threat posed by Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

The Finnish interior ministry said on Wednesday that the stockpile would include protective gear, measurement equipment, medicines and vaccines for an emergency involving chemical, biological, radiological, or nuclear (CBRN) threats.

Finland was given funding worth €242 million ($263 million) for the project at the start of 2023, after Janez Lenarcic, the European commissioner for crisis management, said on January 17 that the Russian invasion of Ukraine "has confirmed the need to strengthen EU CBRN preparedness."

Finland has just joined NATO, with its membership spurred by the threat Moscow poses. It shares an 800-mile border with Russia and is close to the Baltic states, which have warned about the danger of Moscow's nuclear capabilities.

https://www.newsweek.com/finland-nuclear-eu-cbrn-stockpile-preparation-1820441

maximus otter

I would say that Finland is unlikely to be nuked by the Russians because it's right on the border with Russia.

Finland is stockpiling emergency supplies to help prepare for a potential nuclear catastrophe, in an EU-funded project spurred by the threat posed by Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

The Finnish interior ministry said on Wednesday that the stockpile would include protective gear, measurement equipment, medicines and vaccines for an emergency involving chemical, biological, radiological, or nuclear (CBRN) threats.

Finland was given funding worth €242 million ($263 million) for the project at the start of 2023, after Janez Lenarcic, the European commissioner for crisis management, said on January 17 that the Russian invasion of Ukraine "has confirmed the need to strengthen EU CBRN preparedness."

Finland has just joined NATO, with its membership spurred by the threat Moscow poses. It shares an 800-mile border with Russia and is close to the Baltic states, which have warned about the danger of Moscow's nuclear capabilities.

maximus otter

[EU referendum points removed—mods]

As @Mythopoeika has said, Finland is in a great location nuclear-wise, its problem is the possibility a conventional Russian army marching across its border, hence membership of NATO.

The other biggest threat Finland faces is all that sulphur and carbon pouring out of EU founder Germany's coal-fired power stations now they have turned their backs on nuclear.

Last edited by a moderator:

maximus otter
The problem with stock piling is shelve life, (as the Russians have found out to their cost) things don't last forever and some stock needs constant turn over

However we do need to be better prepared for war and natural disasters which seem to be coming at us at even greater speed

The problem with stock piling is shelve life, (as the Russians have found out to their cost) things don't last forever and some stock needs constant turn over

However we do need to be better prepared for war and natural disasters which seem to be coming at us at even greater speed
It's possible to get some ration packs that claim to have a 25 year shelf life. Whether they live up to this claim or not is down to random chance (i.e., the conditions have to be just right when they are packed).

When I young and in lower grade school in the 1950s, we were always being shown weird short movies.

How to brush your teeth, personal hygiene, not drinking poisonous moonshine whiskey, and how to survive a nuclear blast.

If we were outside, we were to jump in the nearest ditch.

If we were in school, we were to get under the school desk.

No one ever said if there is a nuclear blast you will be vaporized.

When I young and in lower grade school in the 1950s, we were always being shown weird short movies.

How to brush your teeth, personal hygiene, not drinking poisonous moonshine whiskey, and how to survive a nuclear blast.

There was a case of a Japanese man who survived one of the nuke attacks on Japan, by jumping into a ditch.
IIRC, he was permanently deafened and had flash burns.

That would not be possible now, as the nukes are so much bigger.

As @Mythopoeika has said, Finland is in a great location nuclear-wise, its problem is the possibility a conventional Russian army marching across its border, hence membership of NATO.

[Response to removed anti-EU posts also removed—mods]

I can’t see anything wrong in principal with planning for emergencies.

Last edited by a moderator:

School always left out the interesting stuff....

[Response to removed anti-EU posts also removed—mods]

I can’t see anything wrong in principal with planning for emergencies.
Not sure I would want to survive unless we are talking about some minimal tactical nukes being used, although even that would have repercussions of a magnitude far greater than the fall-out. Otherwise, no thanks...

Not sure I would want to survive unless we are talking about some minimal tactical nukes being used, although even that would have repercussions of a magnitude far greater than the fall-out. Otherwise, no thanks...

I don't subscribe to the fashionable "End of civilisation - nothing worth living for - living would envy the dead" scenario trumpeted relentlessly for decades by the media.

No rational person believes that a nuclear war would be anything other than a disaster, but life would go on. It's even somewhat amusing to contemplate that a reasonable proportion of the Earth's population might not even notice that anything had happened! You could imagine some Eskimos or Congolese or natives of the Sentinel islands saying to each other, "Did you hear thunder last night? Anyone smell smoke, or is it just me?"

maximus otter

I don't subscribe to the fashionable "End of civilisation - nothing worth living for - living would envy the dead" scenario trumpeted relentlessly for decades by the media.

No rational person believes that a nuclear war would be anything other than a disaster, but life would go on. It's even somewhat amusing to contemplate that a reasonable proportion of the Earth's population might not even notice that anything had happened! You could imagine some Eskimos or Congolese or natives of the Sentinel islands saying to each other, "Did you hear thunder last night? Anyone smell smoke, or is it just me?"

maximus otter
Until your crops die:

"Global average precipitation after a nuclear war would also drop significantly because the lower amounts of solar radiation reaching the surface would reduce temperatures and water evaporation rates. The precipitation decrease would be the greatest in the tropics. For instance, even a 5-Tg soot injection would lead to a 40 percent precipitation decrease in the Asian monsoon region. South America and Africa would also experience large drops in rainfall.

Nowhere to hide​

The impacts of nuclear war on agricultural food systems would have dire consequences for most humans who survive the war and its immediate effects.
The overall global consequences of nuclear war—including both short-term and long-term impacts—would be even more horrific causing hundreds of millions—even billions—of people to starve to death."

https://thebulletin.org/2022/10/now...-war-would-kill-you-and-almost-everyone-else/

Global average precipitation after a nuclear war would also drop significantly because the lower amounts of solar radiation reaching the surface would reduce temperatures and water evaporation rates.

If "Global boiling" doesn't get us, then global cooling will!

:rofl:

I'll add that to the ever-expanding list of stuff that's killed me for the last 60 years.

maximus otter

maximus otter
You wouldn't though - you've got guns, and a well stocked larder, and freezer full of venison.
Plus a vast collection of Fortean Times and all the romance novels he can read.....:rofl:

Back