• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Psychic Website?

I followed the instructions and the psychic got it wrong!
It's done with Javascript & maths - I'll leave the cleverer buggers here to explain it.
What did worry me was that they were able to display my name and email address without me giving it to them.

If you have a number like 27 and then subtract it's component parts the first half will be to subtract from the unit's column - 27 -7 = 20 . This means you will always be subtracting 1/10 of the tens column which will always give you a result like 45, 36, 27 and so on. In that list those numbers all have the letter "U" as their symbol, which is also what the crystal ball "guesses".

WRONG!!!! HAHAHA my numbr was 1(bomb) and it gave me 7(snowflake)

Ooo I like it. I did it twice, and it was right both times. :D

It's all about the number nine, isn't it? Take any two digit number, subtract the two constituent digits, and the result will be divisible by nine.

And each of the multiples thereof (18, 27, 36 etc) has an xian cross as the symbol.

Impressive though :).

Stu

Stu Neville said:
It's all about the number nine, isn't it? Take any two digit number, subtract the two constituent digits, and the result will be divisible by nine.
Either my maths is even worse than I thought, or that's wrong. I did it several times, never picking the cross, and it got it right every time. I also tried it without the maths bit, just picking a symbol, and it didn't work.

No, the maths checks out - take a couple of random examples:

47, minus 4 minus 7 = 36, divisible by 9
85 minus 8 minus 5 = 72, ditto
33, minus 3 minus 3 = 27, ditto

etc etc. It does work, trust me.

Stu

Of course the symbols change with every try. dont know if thats significant though.

p.younger said:
Of course the symbols change with every try. dont know if thats significant though.

No: each time the symbols do change, but all of the nine series will be the same one: try it - go on to the site and just look at the numbers, and 9, 18, 27, 36, 45, 54, 63, 72, 81 and 90 will have the same symbol. And you will always come up with one of those numbers.

It is very clever though :).

I don't come up with those numbers Stu, and it still works.

Stu's just being a spoilsport. It's magic really. :p
I want to believe! (Where have I heard that before? ;))

Spooky angel said:
Stu's just being a spoilsport. It's magic really. :p
I want to believe! (Where have I heard that before? ;))

I am, too. Perhaps I've just chosen numbers I subconciously know will render down to nine!

Whatever the explanation, it works. And that's cool :).

Stu

Stu's right - the result of any 2 digit number minus the sum of its digits is always divisible exactly by 9. The javascript knows where you've scrolled to, and on a page there's only ever one value that matches. So if you don't scroll, it won't work (or PROBABLY won't work).

Yes but, my maths is terrible, and I subtracted wrongly every time, never getting a cross, and it still worked. Perhaps it was coincidence. :(

beakboo said:
Yes but, my maths is terrible, and I subtracted wrongly every time, never getting a cross, and it still worked. Perhaps it was coincidence. :(

The symbols change place each time, Beaky: whatever order, though, the ones for the nine times table will all be the same one, be it cross, skull and bones, whatever.

I'm not turning skeptic, honest!!

Stu

Back