Real Giants: The World's Tallest People & Their Medical Issues

KeyserXSoze

Abominable Snowman
World's Tallest Living Man Wants To Stop Growing Now

Source
By ANNA MELNICHUK, Associated Press Writer

PODOLIANTSI, Ukraine - At age 33, Leonid Stadnik wishes he would stop growing. He's already 8 feet, 4 inches. Recent measurements show that Stadnik is already 7 inches taller than Radhouane Charbib of Tunisia, listed by the Guinness Book of World Records as the tallest living man. He's also gaining on the 8-11 Robert Wadlow, the tallest man in history.

Yet for Stadnik, the prospect of becoming a record-holder would be little comfort.

"My two-year-old suit's sleeves and pants are now 30 centimeters (12 inches) shorter than I need," said Stadnik. "My height is God's punishment. My life has no sense."

Stadnik's height keeps him confined to this tiny village 130 miles west of the capital, Kiev.

"Taking a public bus for me is the same as getting into a car's trunk for a normal person," he said.

Stadnik's unusual growth began after a brain operation at age 14, which is believed to have stimulated his pituitary gland. Since then, life just keeps getter harder.

Although he once was able to work as a veterinarian at a cattle farm, he had to quit three years ago after his feet were frostbitten because he wasn't able to afford proper shoes for his 17-inch feet.

This month, he finally got a good pair, paid for by some local businessmen. Their 0 cost was the equivalent of about seven months' worth of the tiny pension that Stadnik receives in the economically struggling country.

Stadnik sleeps on two beds joined lengthwise and moves in a crouch through the small one-story house that he shares with his mother Halyna.

His weight of about 440 pounds aggravates a recently broken leg, and he suffers from constant knee pain.

Despite his aches, he tries to keep himself busy with the usual routine of country life. He works in the garden, tends the family's cows and pigs, and helps neighbors with their animals.

To relax, he cultivates exotic plants and pampers his tiny, blue and yellow pet parakeet with his huge hands.

Bronyslav, a neighbor who refused to give his last name, described Stadnik as the "most unselfish, diligent man of a pure soul."

His friends, in turn, treat him with the same sort of soft good humor. They're trying to organize a trip for him to the Carpathian Mountains to show him that "there's something in the world taller than you," Bronyslav said.

austen27

Justified & Ancient
Perhaps he needs to stop eating his greens and start smoking:smokin:

Red__Dalek

Ephemeral Spectre
This bloke could earn a mint if he moved to America. Pro-wrestler, basketball - the world's his oyster.

intaglio

Justified & Ancient
Unfortunately disorders like this are very unpleasant. Gangrene, heart failure, hip and spinal failure :(

austen27

Justified & Ancient
Yes, most very tall people aren't that athletic because it takes all their energy just to pump blood around their body. Makes you understand why fairy tale type giants can't exist - they would die of heart failure and their legs would break under their own weight.

Spookyangel

Justified & Ancient
What a sad story. :( Apart from all the physical probs there are the emotional ones of always having ppl staring at him and the practical probs of clothes, beds, doorways etc. Poor man. :(

Imperial_Call

Justified & Ancient
Austen said:
Yes, most very tall people aren't that athletic because it takes all their energy just to pump blood around their body. Makes you understand why fairy tale type giants can't exist - they would die of heart failure and their legs would break under their own weight.
Don't talk daft, tall people's hearts/lungs limbs etc are in proportion to their size/weight ... (they better fecking be, or I'm really going to panic about them palpitations ... )

Poor diet (ie not eating enough) would be partially to blame for injuries like broken bones... I need 3,200+ cals a day at my current height/weight, he'd probably need more than 5,000 ... which is like two whole cows and a bag of chips ...

EDIT:
According to THIS he needs 6,600 cals per day ... :eek!!!!:

TheOrigDesperado

Abominable Snowman
He doesn't look 8ft+ to me, but maybe it's just the photos aren't too good. Certainly doesn't look anything like the size of Wadlow , who was only 7 inches taller.

Rrose_Selavy

Justified & Ancient
For the so -called "pituitary giants". While there are other complications, the high mortality of this condition is usually due to cardiovascular problems. Most tissues of the body increase in size and this includes the heart which is not a good thing.

Most people who have Acromegaly aren't abnormally tall, but if you get it before your twenties and your bones are still growing anyway quite fast, then you get the exaggerated growth which results in Gigantism.

austen27

Justified & Ancient
LobeliaOverhill said:
Don't talk daft, tall people's hearts/lungs limbs etc are in proportion to their size/weight ... (they better fecking be, or I'm really going to panic about them palpitations ... )
If you double your height, your skin area is squared and your volume (and weight) cubed. Your limbs need to be get stronger, rather than just remain in proportion. Tall people need fat legs and strong hearts.
If you compare an ant with an elephant you will see what I mean about limb proportions!I think the limit in size for land animals comes at the point when their legs get so fat they can't fit under their body.

Imperial_Call

Justified & Ancient
so what you're saying is ...

This 8'7" man has the heart and legs equivalent of a 5'6" person?

I. don't. think. so.

If you are of "normal" height and you gain a lot of weight you put a huge strain on your heart/legs because you have now an unnatural size for your heart/legs. If you grow very tall your heart/legs grow too and are able to sustain you because nature meant you to be tall, do you see what I'm getting at? I realise I am vague and incomprehensible at the best of times ...

or put it another way a 5'6" person's heart would say the size of an apple, a 6'6" persons would be the size of say a grapefruit. More'nlikely my 8'7" 's heart is the size of a rugby ball ...

austen27

Justified & Ancient
LobeliaOverhill said:
so what you're saying is ...

This 8'7" man has the heart and legs equivalent of a 5'6" person?

I. don't. think. so.

If you are of "normal" height and you gain a lot of weight you put a huge strain on your heart/legs because you have now an unnatural size for your heart/legs. If you grow very tall your heart/legs grow too and are able to sustain you because nature meant you to be tall, do you see what I'm getting at? I realise I am vague and incomprehensible at the best of times ...

or put it another way a 5'6" person's heart would say the size of an apple, a 6'6" persons would be the size of say a grapefruit. More'nlikely my 8'7" 's heart is the size of a rugby ball ...
I'm saying that to be a healthy giant you need to have a bigger heart in relation to your body than a smaller person.

Imperial_Call

Justified & Ancient
Austen said:
I'm saying that to be a healthy giant you need to have a bigger heart in relation to your body than a smaller person.
Ah, I see that now ... very sorry for mis-reading your earlier post

:confused:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
My Big Tall Greek Giant

By Mary Karmelek | Mar 29, 2011 11:20 AM | 0

The Scientific American supplement from December 4th, 1886 featured a drawn reproduction of a photograph taken of Amanab, the “Greek Giant.” Amanab was born in 1868 near Kerassond in Trebizonde—a successor state of the Byzantine Empire located on the Southern shore of the Black Sea. At the time of the article, he was 18 years old and measured 7 feet 9 inches in height, had a head circumference of 26 ? inches, and a chest measurement of 4 feet 4 inches. The article notes that Amanab was currently unemployed, but intended “to visit the principal cities of Europe and exhibit himself to the public.”

The article also mentions other “giants” who were contemporaries of Amanab. For example, “A very remarkable Chinese giant named Chang was exhibited at Paris a few years ago. He was larger than the Greek under consideration, his height being 8 feet; and, unlike his similars, he was intelligent and educated and spoke several languages.”

While he may not have been as educated as Chang, Amanab can claim literary fame as the model for the Greek giant “Auvassab” mentioned in a discussion on giants in Jules Verne’s The Will of the Eccentric.
SOURCE: scientificamerican.com/blog/ ... 2011-03-29
Link is dead. No archived version found.

(The cited drawing from the photo is provided on the webpage)

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
The "eccentric" actor Klaus Kinski described befriending a giantess in his autobiography, I think she was Asian, though annoyingly he doesn't give many more details other than the fact that he, er, well you can guess what he did with her.

Jim

Abominable Snowman

Brig

Abominable Snowman
You make a point; but keep in mind Robert Wadlow was 8ft 11 inches when he died. It was also determined that he had not yet stopped growing. His death was due to infection and he was only in his 20's. There are, on record, several accounts of giants approaching the ten foot mark. Two of these were Chinese and well documented. There are a couple of very good books on the subject. I read one of them; the author was not prone to exaggeration or grand standing. The book Forbidden Archeology by Thompson lists ancient giant records. It is scientific and as much as is possible it is verified. A fascinating book and a very large book, it is difficult to put down once you start it.

kamalktk

Justified & Ancient
You make a point; but keep in mind Robert Wadlow was 8ft 11 inches when he died. It was also determined that he had not yet stopped growing. His death was due to infection and he was only in his 20's. There are, on record, several accounts of giants approaching the ten foot mark. Two of these were Chinese and well documented. There are a couple of very good books on the subject. I read one of them; the author was not prone to exaggeration or grand standing. The book Forbidden Archeology by Thompson lists ancient giant records. It is scientific and as much as is possible it is verified. A fascinating book and a very large book, it is difficult to put down once you start it.
If you look up the tallest people on wikipedia, most die at a relatively young age (Mr. Wadlow's death being due to infection, but in general their death is early) and have significant problems due to their conditions. Many, including Mr. Wadlow, could/can not walk unaided. Their general health issues would seem to make it unlikely that a group composed of eight foot plus tall humans could survive could survive in pre-industrial times.

Would abnormally tall individuals have been treated abnormally? That certainly seems likely given the treatment of these people now. I suppose one could argue that such treatment might have extended to after death, with the individuals being more likely to have received notable burials and thus being more likely for their skeletons to be found.

So could there have been a nine foot tall individual? I'd accept that as a possibility. But a group of them is something I'd doubt.

kamalktk

Justified & Ancient
Looking up the list of tallest people, I came across Mr. Adam Rainer, the only person in recorded history to have been both a dwarf and a giant.

thechirurgeonsapprentice.com/2015/01/20/worlds-littlest-giant-the-curious-case-of-adam-rainer/
Link is dead. The cited webpage can still be accessed via the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/2015020...ttlest-giant-the-curious-case-of-adam-rainer/

"Adam Rainer was born in Graz, Austria to average-sized parents in 1899. When WW1 broke out, Rainer tried to enlist in the army, but at 4’6.3’’ inches tall, he was deemed too short and weak....

Rainer (pictured right) suddenly began growing at an alarming pace. Over the next decade, he grew from just under 4’10’’ to a shocking 7’1’’. During this period, Rainer also began developing a severe spinal curvature..."

Last edited by a moderator:

Brig

Abominable Snowman
Generally speaking the extremely tall people of today are caused by some genetic malfunction. This has not necessarily always been the case. I pointed out Wadlow and others to make the point that physically humans are capable of extreme tallness. This does not preclude the possibility of extreme height in other cases. For other situations that bring about extreme tallness I'd suggest going to Amazon books and look into the subject. I suggested Forbidden Archeology but it covers a whole lot more than giants in our past. I read a very good one, but I cannot remember the title or author. A problem that comes with age, I fear. I'll go to Amazon and see what I can find and get back to you.

Jim

Abominable Snowman
Generally speaking the extremely tall people of today are caused by some genetic malfunction.
Angus MacAskill was not a genetic malfunction and he was a giant in every sense of the word. Also with a 80 inch non obese chest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angus_MacAskill

Look at some of the athlete's such as Wilt Chamberlin for example. No wonder he scored over 100 points in a game.

Brig

Abominable Snowman
If I remember my old National Geographics correctly. I remember an article about a tribe of Africans where-in the average height of the male members was over 7 ft. with a few very close to 8 ft. I have no idea as to the year or volume. Yes, Jim I remember an artcle about the Scotsman. Here again is proof the tallness does not have to equate with physical problems. There were a couple (married) in Ohio, in the late 1800s. Both were over 8 ft tall. They had their house especially built to fit their size. Again I cannot tell you where I read the article.

kamalktk

Justified & Ancient
If I remember my old National Geographics correctly. I remember an article about a tribe of Africans where-in the average height of the male members was over 7 ft. with a few very close to 8 ft. I have no idea as to the year or volume. Yes, Jim I remember an artcle about the Scotsman. Here again is proof the tallness does not have to equate with physical problems. There were a couple (married) in Ohio, in the late 1800s. Both were over 8 ft tall. They had their house especially built to fit their size. Again I cannot tell you where I read the article.
The Ohio couple have escaped the notice of whomever keeps the rather extensive wikipedia article on tallest people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_people

oldrover

Justified & Ancient
Brain fever. That could mean anything. I'm not saying that it was his height. And of course back in the 1860s there'd have been plenty of things going round, and not too much in the way of effective treatment for a lot of them.

But to me it seems worth noting that like most abnormally tall people, he died very young. Plus, how can we be sure that he wasn't a pathological giant?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
But to me it seems worth noting that like most abnormally tall people, he died very young. Plus, how can we be sure that he wasn't a pathological giant?
Yes, your point still is valid - most giants die too young.
Has anybody examined MacAskill's skeleton? Maybe they'd find out what caused his extreme height.