• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Recently Captured Al Qaeda Leader Was Killed Last Year

They were keen to say Bin Laden was dead a year ago, now no longer the consensus. Conspiracy, wishful thinking or twisting probabilities to present positive developments in The War on Terror?

I did think man in pictures on television look nothing like man in pictures on FBI site...:(

Maybe I get it wrong!

I think they are more keen to say that OBL is alive - see the recent recording that was immediately verified as being a genuine message from OBL rather than being subjecteed to lots of tests etc. Doesn't he mention being "in Torra Bora last year" which would mean the message was actually recorded in 2002?

Keyser Soze said:
I did think man in pictures on television look nothing like man in pictures on FBI site...:(
Maybe it's poor old Derek Bond again. :D

The 'Memory Hole' website doesn't seem to have checked this story.

The Asia Times article was one of very few which seem to have reported, as fact, the brief speculation that Khalid Shaikh Mohammed had been killed during the arrest of Ramzi Binalshibh.

Various agenices reported, at the time, on speculation that he had been killed during the raid. Typically, for example, this Telegraph story from 16th September 2002. Clearly states:

US officials told the Washington Post newspaper that they did not believe that the dead man was Mohammed.

And other similar news reports from the time.

Given the FBI's seeming ineptitude, it's more likely to be Shakin' Stevens than Sheikh Mohammed. :hmph:

I've just found another mysteriously resurrected Al Qaeda leader:

One of OBL's deputies was reported dead after an airstrike in Afghanistan here. The FBI website which listed the most wanted terrorists reflected this belief too - until now, where Mr. Atef is back on the wanted list here.

The site states that Khalid Shaikh Mohammed's
body was identifies by his widow.

I think it is possible that she gave a false identification on purpose. This would allow her husband a chance to stay hidden.....

spooks were quoted in the Washington Post, saying that many of them thought that the best option if they caught OBL would be for him to 'fade away' - ie. no mention made of his death, to stop a martry being created.
Now they are backpeddling about the reports of OBL son's being caught, maybe the process has started anyway.

Truth is stranger than fiction as we all know;

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/03/12/shaikh.reward/

An Egyptian radical will get $27 million as a reward for giving the United States information that led authorities to alleged September 11, 2001, mastermind Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, government sources said Wednesday.

The sources, confirming a story previously reported in a British paper and in Newsweek, said the unnamed Egyptian was captured during a raid in Quetta, Pakistan, last month. The Egyptian was described as an al Qaeda foot soldier.

Officials said he not only claimed the $25 million award that was being offered by the U.S. government for information that led to Mohammed's arrest, but also demanded $2 million more to help cover the costs of his family moving to Great Britain. He is being paid the money, the sources said.

Mohammed, who has been linked to several al Qaeda attacks in the past five years, was arrested in a raid led by Pakistanis on March 1 in a house outside Islamabad. He was one of the FBI's most wanted terrorists.

"Officials said he not only claimed the $25 million award that was being offered by the U.S. government for information that led to Mohammed's arrest, but also demanded $2 million more to help cover the costs of his family moving to Great Britain."

oh good, a muslim fanatic moving with blessing to the UK. Erm, hello? we sure about this?

and second point.... $2 million to move to the UK? what the hell is costing him that much to move to uk?

Cern said:
.... million to move to the UK? what the hell is costing him that much to move to uk?

He has to put all his weapons in storage until he gets the spare bedroom done up.

I'm sorry I didn't see this thread before my post.

See: Did Pakistan stage Khalid Sheikh Mohammed arrest?

For a related story

Cern said:
and second point.... million to move to the UK? what the hell is costing him that much to move to uk?

he probably wants a house in London,then theres the congestion charge,season ticket at arsenal,Tv licence to pay,he ought to put in for a bit more:)

Back