• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Recommend Me A Film

min_bannister said:
Have you tried What Lies Beneath? Amusing yet jumpy at the same time. I second the original Haunting. A film I would love to see again is The Beast with Five Fingers starring Peter Lorre. Its the only film I've ever seen that made me scream out loud. I haven't looked very hard mind you!

Probably slightly on the too late side but I noticed that What Lies Beneath is on ITV tonight at 9.00.

I discovered by BF was harbouring a video of The Beast and it was just as good as I remembered. :D

"breakfast on pluto" has a beautiful fairytale quality to it. a very evil bryan ferry; an ambiguous manipulative(?) magician, stephen rea; brendan gleeson as a hard drinking womble and ian hart as a tough cop who has a heart of gold.

i'd reccomend "match point" as well. its more like a robert altman film than a woody allen one. about relationships, affairs and social-climbing. turns rather bizarre and un-allenish for the final half hour.

Just an update, I joined Screen Select then while my internet connection was down I managed to watch;

The Others, seen it before but enjoyed it just as much as the first time.

The Forgotten- I liked this as it made me keep changing my mind as to whose side I was on.

The Uninvited- this was like watching Morse but with Fortean flavour- brilliant!

A Chinese Ghost Story 2- boring, gave up halfway through

Spooky Encounters- great! Very funny indeed.

The Hitcher- who the hell recommended THAT? Was bored to death, gave up halfway through.

Working through all the suggestions, but alot of them are not available through Screen Select yet.

You wouldn't go wrong if you got Brotherhood of the wolf , I don't know any one who hasn't loved this one. Switchblade romance is very good but gets a bit slasher at the end, though I did see a UK cut the french one is meant to be up to half hour longer. Where the buffalo roam with Bill Murrey is a good laugh I saw last wk for the 1st time in over 10 years. All these movies have a decent Fortean edge

The scariest film I've ever seen is Repulsion, directed by Roman Polanski, starring Catherine Deneuve, it's an incredibly creepy film about a woman gradually going insane, not much gore but loads of clammy, unsettling atmosphere and some memorably weird special fx.

Recently saw a new British film called Truth which I thought was excellent, a very black comedy thriller which almost turns horror at times, very funny in parts, quite disturbing in others - oh, it does have some sex scenes - nothing too explicit though.

Also have to second recommendations for Ghost Dog, that's one of my favourite films.

cassandra78 said:
JA Chinese Ghost Story 2- boring, gave up halfway through

Spooky Encounters- great! Very funny indeed.

Glad you liked Spooky Encounters - its a classic. There is a Spooky Encounters 2 too which some consider to be even better (I have given up waiting for a spiffy HKL release and will be ordering it from YesAsia along with Sammo's latest outing SPL which looks great):

www.imdb.com/title/tt0080828/

If you liked that then you will probably enjoy Mr Vampire - its by the same team. Spooky Encounters kicked off the hopping vampire craze but in Mr. Vampire Sammo steps back to producer status and Lam Ching Ying (the strict official in Spooky Encounters) takes the lead to bring us the definitive hopping vampire film.

Sorry to hear you didn't like CGS 2 - I would recommend you give the original a go though. Wu Ma's battling Taoist priest in the first film is up there with Lam Ching Ying's.

A few gems for those quiet nights.

A Boy and His Dog-Still one of my favourite films ever.

Dark City-Criminally underated and just wonderful to look it.

I Bought a Vampire Motorcycle-Possibly one of the best British comedy-horror films ever and again, criminally underated.

Visitor Q-Takashi Miike, nuff said.

Wild Zero-Zombies, Spaceships, Rock and Roll!

Die Hard-Simply the best Saturday night action movie ever!

Mob1138 said:

Dark City-Criminally underated and just wonderful to look it.

Can I second that, far better than The Matrix, which overshadowed it.

I'll third that one.

And second Wild Zero if I haven't already mentioned it (along with Versus). Just checked and I haven't - shame on me.

I might caution against Visitor Q though - I think one should be slightly broken in before jumping straight into incest, necrophilia and rampant lactation (although as gore is off the cards Ichi might be out

Mighty_Emperor said:
I might caution against Visitor Q though - I think one should be slightly broken in before jumping straight into incest, necrophilia and rampant lactation (although as gore is off the cards Ichi might be out

Fun for all the family!

Mob1138 said:
Mighty_Emperor said:

Fun for all the family!

Something for all the family (possibly the Manson Family ;) ).

crunchy5 said:
Switchblade romance is very good but gets a bit slasher at the end,

Don't watch that if you're not keen on gore, it's pretty brutal.

I know this is slightly ot but I didn't think it warranted a thread I have a great movie called New Dragon Gate Inn was there ever a movie called Dragon Gate Inn. I ask because I heard Bey Logan refer to DGI without a new in a doc about aspiring actors, thanks for any help, oh got to say Wong fei hung rules

crunchy5 said:
I know this is slightly ot but I didn't think it warranted a thread I have a great movie called New Dragon Gate Inn was there ever a movie called Dragon Gate Inn. I ask because I heard Bey Logan refer to DGI without a new in a doc about aspiring actors, thanks for any help, oh got to say Wong fei hung rules

They do indeed.

And yes there was a Dragon Gate Inn:

Long men ke zhen (1966)

www.imdb.com/title/tt0060635/

The director King Hu pretty much invented wuxia in the Sixties with DGI (and Come Drink with Me of which DGI is the second in the series) - it was his A Touch of Zen which really took the elements and really broe the genre. ATZ is easy to find on DVD (Optimum released the R2 in the UK to show fans of CTHD that there is a considerable history to such films - I bought the Tai Seng R1 version so I'm unsure of that one) but DGI is trickier.

I've just watched Ansiktet, one of the host of Ingmar Bergman fillums which had never crossed my path before. I knew of it by reputation as his sole venture into gothic horror territory. It goes by a number of other titles, usually The Face or The Magician in English.

A group of travelling magicians are detained and humiliated at the court of a minor nobleman. Their leader takes his revenge by returning from the dead, after an autopsy.

As ever, I have my reservations about Bergman's stratified world - existential angst for the well-to-do and carry-on-copulating for the lower orders. And needless to say, it won't appeal to those who want fast moving action or buckets of blood.

Even if you don't take to the film itself, I can promise that the DVD offers a gob-smacking print. The film is a debate about art versus science but in the end, I guess Bergman's refined art depended a lot on the fine-grain emulsions of Svensk Filmindustri. :shock:

Thank you very much Mighty Emperor, you have started at least two quests with that answer :D

crunchy5 said:
Thank you very much Mighty Emperor, you have started at least two quests with that answer :D

Cool. :)

I'd recommend you grab A Touch of Zen now as it is his classic (it is 3 hours long but worth it):

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000 ... ntmagaz-21
R1:
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000071 ... enantmc-20

and you can also pick up Come Drink With Me R1:

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009NZ ... enantmc-20

As I say DGI is trickier but can be got from HK Flix (they also stock the UK and US ATZ and a couple of other R3 versions of CDWM):

www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.536392/qx/details.htm

And if we are recommending films along those lines then I recommend HKL's releases of:

Once Upon a Time in China Trilogy:

The Fantasy Swordplay Collection (The Swordsman, Moon Warriors and New Dragon Gate Inn):
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0006 ... ntmagaz-21

Iron Monkey:
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001 ... ntmagaz-21

Good combinaitons of wire work and kung fu/swordplay - slightly less arty than CTHD, Hero, etc. but at least as good.

Also their Duel to the Death release is great (its a challenge to see how fast Bey Logan can talk) and properly bananas:

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0006 ... ntmagaz-21

For less wires and more kung fu (Mr Vampire's Lam Ching Ying really delivering the goods even when dressed as a woman) see the Prodigal Son - I believe Bey Logan rates this as one of the best kung fu films ever (the ending is pants but LCY dies just before it o you could turn it off then):

Have you tried What Lies Beneath? Amusing yet jumpy at the same time.

Vulture article on it -
Vulture page on What Lies Beneath

Looked at the Wiki page to remind myself of the plot and found this in the Production section -

Documentary filmmaker Sarah Kernochan had adapted a personal experience with the paranormal as a script treatment featuring a retirement aged couple dealing with restless but compassionate spirits.

So it's based on something that really happened? What the actual? I'm intrigued.

Troll 2 - contains no trolls, but does have vegetarian goblins that turn humans into plant matter before eating them. It's like watching a car accident in slo mo, but repeat viewings have you laughing at the sheer B Movieness of it all...

Haxan

Ugetsu

The White Reindeer

Rites of May

Viridiana

Black Narcissus

Kwaidan

La Belle et la Bete

La Bruja

Troll 2 - contains no trolls, but does have vegetarian goblins that turn humans into plant matter before eating them. It's like watching a car accident in slo mo, but repeat viewings have you laughing at the sheer B Movieness of it all...
Still sounds better than the sequel to Trolls - Trolls World Tour. If that turns out to be the last film I ever get to see at a cinema, I shall be displeased.

Back