• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Recurring Dreams

Robsocks

Junior Acolyte
Since I was a young child I have had a recurring dream, well more of a recurring theme dream. I'm hiding from an alien invasion. The sky is always full of classically shaped flying saucer type craft but the location will vary. I might be hiding behind a hedge, in a forest or abandoned building. There is always an overwhelming feeling of terror and hopelessness. This dream occurs maybe once a month or so. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced the same or similar recurrent dreams throughout life?

Since I was a young child I have had a recurring dream, well more of a recurring theme dream. I'm hiding from an alien invasion. The sky is always full of classically shaped flying saucer type craft but the location will vary. I might be hiding behind a hedge, in a forest or abandoned building. There is always an overwhelming feeling of terror and hopelessness. This dream occurs maybe once a month or so. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced the same or similar recurrent dreams throughout life?
That sounds like a great dream, Rob. Though I expect it is pretty terrifying and it must be a huge relief when you wake up. Do the flying saucers always look the same? Do they attack? Do you ever see the aliens?

I don't have a very specific recurring dream, but themes of being lost and/or late are almost always present in my dreams. They can be very stressful. And large hotels with many storeys, dark gloomy corridors and very large elevators seem to feature very often in my dreams.

What on Earth is it our sleeping brains are doing to us? I wish more research could be done on what dreams are and why we have them. If we understood dreams better, I think we would understand many other things better. All they seem to do for me is make me feel horribly rattled when I wake up.

We've had a thread on recurring dreams before, or maybe there was a run of posts about them.

I had two at various times. One was this, which I've mentioned before -

I had a recurring dream where I'd be stabbed painfully in the side by a random passer-by and would wake up in a panic with my hand clenched over the wound.

It eventually dawned on me that the pain came from my own hand pinching my side. I decided that next time I'd consciously keep my hands still, and I did, and when the stab came I was ready and woke up pain-free. The dream never came back.

There are also descriptions of people's dream-landscapes which they recognise and explore. I get those too.

I understand that they are about my own house and whether it's in order. :wink2:
My subconscious is saying 'Dream on.' :chuckle:

I had a recurring dream where I'd be stabbed painfully in the side by a random passer-by and would wake up in a panic with my hand clenched over the wound.

It eventually dawned on me that the pain came from my own hand pinching my side. I decided that next time I'd consciously keep my hands still, and I did, and when the stab came I was ready and woke up pain-free. The dream never came back.
Not a recurring dream, but once in my teens when I was off school ill with flu (not man flu, cos I was still just a lad ;)) I had a fever dream and woke up from it convinced I had been stabbed in the abdomen and if I moved I would cause myself more damage. I lay there sweating profusely for what seemed like an hour but was probably about 5 minutes, knowing the blade was in me but terrified to move and certain the bed sheets must be drenched in my blood.

Obviously, when I did eventually pluck up the courage to look there was no blade and no blood. It was startlingly real - but no doubt just a product of the fever.

That sounds like a great dream, Rob. Though I expect it is pretty terrifying and it must be a huge relief when you wake up. Do the flying saucers always look the same? Do they attack? Do you ever see the aliens?

I don't have a very specific recurring dream, but themes of being lost and/or late are almost always present in my dreams. They can be very stressful. And large hotels with many storeys, dark gloomy corridors and very large elevators seem to feature very often in my dreams.

What on Earth is it our sleeping brains are doing to us? I wish more research could be done on what dreams are and why we have them. If we understood dreams better, I think we would understand many other things better. All they seem to do for me is make me feel horribly rattled when I wake up.
Hi Charmer. The saucers always look the same. They never actually attack, it's more of a impending threat type feeling. Never seen any actual aliens unfortunately, or fortunately, that might be more terrifying! I chalk them up to feeling powerless against a superior force; such as when I'm worrying about bills, health, etc. Perhaps it's my fascination with UFOs that lead to conscious or subconscious fears or worries being converted into an alien threat? Although these dreams don't always occur at times of stress. At least I hope they're not prophetic!

Is this what your dream saucers look like, Rob?

Screenshot_20230227-134959_Google.jpg

If so, don't worry. It's probably just Daleks. They never win.

Kam

Not a recurring dream, but once in my teens when I was off school ill with flu (not man flu, cos I was still just a lad ;)) I had a fever dream and woke up from it convinced I had been stabbed in the abdomen and if I moved I would cause myself more damage. I lay there sweating profusely for what seemed like an hour but was probably about 5 minutes, knowing the blade was in me but terrified to move and certain the bed sheets must be drenched in my blood.

Obviously, when I did eventually pluck up the courage to look there was no blade and no blood. It was startlingly real - but no doubt just a product of the fever.
I got drunk in a hotel one snowy night and woke up convinced I'd gone outside in my pyjamas with only socks on my feet to get a better phone signal.
As I'd used a fire door I couldn't get back in and wandered around looking in through windows until someone from Reception spotted me and let me in. I had no idea which room I'd taken so she had to work it out, walk me back there and let me in.

I thanked her and crawled off to bed.
In the morning the only way I could be sure it was a dream was by feeling my feet for whether my socks were wet.

Dry, luckily, although the staff were certainly efficient enough to have whipped off the socks to launder and unobtrusively return before morning! :wink2:

Back