• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Red Frog

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Not sure where to put this so..........

Tony Blair aunches the election whislt wearing a red tie with little sivler frogs on it and now we have this:

Common or garden frog sparks red alert

Paul Whitehouse

THE South Yorkshire village of Aston is not best known for tropical wildlife.
But one resident believed they had stumbled upon an exotic species when he found this distinctive red frog in his garden pond.

He was so convinced he put the creature in a bucket and took it to the Tropical Butterfly House in nearby North Anston.

However, the creature turned out to be a common garden frog with a very rare colour anomaly which created its distinctive red skin.

Beverley Dick, of the butterfly house, identified the frog, which has become a permanent attraction.

"People are amazed when they see it, they think it is tropical and ask if it is poisonous," she said.

The frog has produced one question which remains unanswered. Since being taken into captivity it has spawned and produced tadpoles. Staff are now waiting to discover whether they grow green or red.

-------------------------
06 April 2005

Source

I've had at least one red frog in my pond every year for the last three years. The woman I bought the place off had contacted Chester Zoo about the animal and been told it was a common frog with a rare genetic condition.

I've got a digital photo of the wee beastie I could show y'all if someone could explain to me how I would do such a thing!

For Spook's red frog see here.

Whoah! It works! Isn't computerology marvellous?

My pond is also visited during the breeding season by a very large bright-yellow frog but I didn't manage to get a shot of her/him.

Back