• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Restaurant strip search hoaxes

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I have been follwoing this for a bit (and some of the news has died in the meantime).

I first spotted the story a while ago but I was wary of posting as it invovled rpae allegations - a trimmed down version of the report is here:

‘Bizarre' case left jury tired, unsettled

Jurors struggled before giving a not-guilty verdict in Mathis case.

By Kevin Woster, Journal Staff Writer

RAPID CITY — Allan Mathis is a free man today, thanks to a not-guilty verdict issued early Friday morning by a weary and conflicted jury in his kidnapping and rape trial.

But the acquittal won't settle the questions or end the pain for those involved in an unsettling trial over the bizarre, three-hour strip search involving Mathis and a 19-year-old employee in the back office at the downtown Hardee's restaurant last June.

It was a difficult four-day trial, with graphic discussions of what Mathis did and didn't do with and to the naked employee as they took telephone directions from a man claiming to be a police officer investigating a theft.

The caller said he was working with a Hardee's official and wanted the woman detained and searched for a missing coin purse and for drugs, Mathis said. And initially, the woman appeared to participate willingly to avoid bad publicity and a trip to the police station.

It was an insidious hoax, perpetrated by someone who had duped other restaurant employees into similar actions in other states and locations in South Dakota.

Full story:

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2004/02/14/news/local/news02.txt

and it has continued:

Bizarre Hoax Leads to Strip Searches

Caller Convinces Restaurant Managers to Strip Search Workers, Customers

March 31 — Restaurant managers across the country have been receiving strange phone calls from someone urging them to strip-search employees or customers to see if they have stolen property.

The latest incident occurred last week in Arizona, when a Taco Bell manager received a call from a man claiming to be a police officer who urged the manager to strip-search a female whom the caller said had stolen a pocketbook.

Authorities said the male manager pulled aside a 17-year-old female customer who fit the description given by the caller and then carried out the search, which included a body cavity search.

"We have a very bizarre situation occurring not only in Fountain Hills, Ariz., but across the nation, a very bizarre scheme," said Sheriff Joseph Arpaio of Marciopa County, Ariz. "My detectives are working full time on this investigation."

Investigators say that there have been dozens of similar cases going as far back as 1999, involving Burger King, Wendy's, Applebee's and other restaurants. In addition to Arizona, similar incidents involving both male and female managers conducting searches have been reported in Massachusetts, South Dakota, Indiana, Utah and Ohio.

No arrests have been made in connection with the calls in Arizona.

South Dakota Manager Acquitted

In Rapid City, S.D., a former fast-food restaurant manager was accused of holding a 19-year-old female employee against her will and forcing her to strip during a three-hour search in the restaurant's back office. Allan Mathis was acquitted last month of kidnapping and second-degree rape charges in connection with the June incident.

Mathis said that he was following the direction of someone on the telephone who claimed to be a police officer.

"I never wanted to be there, I never wanted to do it in the first place," Mathis said today on Good Morning America. "I was just doing what he told me to do."

Prosecutors said a videotape showed Mathis sexually assaulting the woman.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/US/Strip_hoax_040331-1.html

I've lost some other news that has gone while I was traking this but I should be able to dig out more later.

Emps

I was just following orders

Its a pity one report is missing as it went into the social engineering aspects of this (the same way hackers can gain passwords without having to actually go to the bother of hacking - just phone up and claim to be admin and ask for the passwords ;) ). Anyway more news:

Kentucky Restaurant Falls For Bizarre Hoax

It sounds very strange--restaurant managers forcing employees to strip. But it happened at the Bob Evans in Richmond, and police say it's part of a nationwide hoax.

Here's how the scam works. The restaurant manager receives a call from a man claiming to be a police officer.

He gives a general description of a customer or employee believed to have stolen property and managers follow his instructions, going all the way to strip searching the employee.

The Richmond Bob Evans is the latest restaurant to fall victim to a nationwide hoax.

A manager received a call from someone posing as a Richmond police officer. Bob Evans area director Scott Boots, "The caller seems to target certain franchises or restaurants and calls until he gets a bite, like a fishing expedition."

The expedition has convinced dozens of restaurant managers in Massachusetts, South Dakota, Indiana, Ohio, Utah and Arizona to believe the caller was an actual officer.

Now the caller has targeted Kentucky. Willard Reardon is with Richmond police. "Currently we have an open investigation on an incident here."

The investigation involves what took place after a man called the manager at the Richmond Bob Evans convincing him a female employee may be involved with stealing.

Scott Boot is the company's area director. He describes the caller as being slick.

He says the two managers, with close to thirty years of management experience combined, believed they were talking to police.

Police won't say what specifically happened at this restaurant. It's very similar to the other cases around the nation and police are looking into whether this is the same type of incident.

At a Taco Bell in Arizona, the caller convinced the manager to strip search a customer.

In Richmond, two male managers were convinced by the caller to search female employee in the back room.

How convincing was the caller to make someone go through with this? Boots says, "I equate this to a phone solicitor--very slick operator. He talked a lot of restaurant jargon, got some information and used that to convince managers that he was the real deal."

Police say the managers involved in the strip search no longer work with Bob Evans. The female employee has not returned to work since the incident.

http://www.wkyt.com/Global/story.asp?S=1756042&nav=4CALLz6u

You want fries with that? Or a towel?

07:41 PM CST on Thursday, April 1, 2004

By JAMES RAGLAND / The Dallas Morning News

This alarming consumer alert just in: Do not take your clothes off at a fast-food restaurant, even if the manager insists.

You don't think we've reached a point where this sort of warning is necessary?

Well, I didn't either – until I saw a bizarre story last week out of Fountain Hills, Ariz.

In that Phoenix suburb, a 17-year-old Taco Bell customer was strip-searched March 22 by a restaurant manager who was taking orders over the telephone from a man pretending to be a police officer.

The unidentified caller, according to published reports, gave the manager a vague description of a girl and said that she had stolen a pocketbook. The manager nabbed a teen patron who generally fit that description.

Then, following the advice of the caller, the manager ushered the girl to a back room where she was strip-searched, cavity-searched and forced to do jumping jacks, according to an Associated Press report.

No way, you say.

That's what I figured.

And then, two days later, The Wall Street Journal not only confirmed that this happened, but also reported that fast-food restaurant managers "across the country have been duped into strip-searching employees or customers."

I'm not kidding.

And neither are authorities.

Turns out that this hoax has been going on for five years. Investigators told the Journal that there have been dozens of similar cases in several states, including Texas, involving restaurants such as Wendy's, Burger King and Applebee's, among others.

The investigators say they think that a North Florida man is the lone culprit. And that he uses a phone card at public telephones to make the calls, which, apparently, are quite convincing.

Surprised sheriff

Maricopa County Sheriff Joseph Arpaio told the Journal that he was surprised that the manager of the Arizona restaurant fell for the stunt. The man told the manager that the girl would go to jail if she resisted the search.

"For any cop to call a private citizen and ask them to do a search is wrong and beyond my imagination," Sheriff Arpaio says.

For a while, the hoaxes were so embarrassing that restaurant groups didn't want to talk about them. Now, however, in the face of several lawsuits, they're firing off memos and advisories to restaurants around the country. Tom Briggs, a spokesman for the National Food Service Security Council, told the Journal that the hoax points up a need for better training.

"Whoever this caller is must be a hell of a good con man," he says. "You'd think nobody would fall for this."

But many have. According to the Journal, a Burger King franchise in Odessa paid ,000 to settle a civil suit filed by an employee who said she was forced to take her clothes off and acquiesce to a body search by a male manager who received one of the prank phone calls.

The manager later was arrested, charged with illegal restraint and fined 0, the Journal reported.

The Texas Restaurant Association in Austin, which represents 4,000 restaurant owners, was still coming up to speed on the matter this week, says Kristin Schuetz, communications director. She says the National Restaurant Association in Washington, D.C., was taking the lead.

Sounds creepy

I asked Ms. Schuetz what she made of the widespread hoaxes.

"I thought it sounded creepy," she says. At first, she wondered, "Why would people think that if you're on the phone with a police officer, it's OK to do that? And then I started to think, you're dealing with someone who sounds like an authoritarian figure, and you're trying to help."

Besides the Odessa case, which Ms. Schuetz says she was unaware of until this week, she says she didn't know of any other Texas restaurants that had been duped.

One thing is clear, she says. "It's something that needs to be addressed. I worked in restaurants for several years, and this is not something we got training for. I'm sure this will become part of the standard training manual now."

I guess we shouldn't be surprised that something like this could happen, or that people could be so gullible and fall into a perverted prankster's trap. These days, it seems as if a new scam crops up and snares somebody every week.

They often work for one simple reason: The hustlers usually are well-rehearsed, while their intended marks typically are caught off guard – more vulnerable to the element of surprise than anything else.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...ragland/stories/040204dnlivragland.db682.html

Bizarre Hoaxes On Restaurants Trigger Lawsuits

By STEVEN GRAY
Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
March 30, 2004; Page B1

(See Corrections & Amplifications item below.)

The restaurant industry is struggling to get in front of a bizarre hoax in which outlet managers across the country have been duped into strip-searching employees or customers.

Last week, a man allegedly claiming to be a police officer called a Fountain Hills, Ariz., Taco Bell and told the manager to conduct a strip search of a female he said had stolen a pocket book, and gave a general description of what she was wearing. Pulling aside a 17-year-old female customer who roughly fit the description, the boss complied. As in the other cases, no stolen property was found, though this is the first search involving a customer rather than an employee.

It might seem implausible that any manager could be compelled by an unknown caller to order someone to entirely disrobe and submit to a humiliating search for drugs or stolen money. Or that someone would succumb to such an examination. But investigators say there have been dozens of similar cases since 1999, involving Burger King, Wendy's, Applebee's and others. Similar incidents have been reported in Massachusetts, South Dakota, Indiana, Utah and Ohio. The managers and the victims of such incidents have been male and female. Investigators have begun linking the cases and say they believe the hoaxes are the work of a single person calling from North Florida public telephones using a phone card.

His likely motive, they say: Not money, but power and perversion.

In the Arizona case, the caller allegedly posing as a police officer remained on the phone to instruct the manager for each step of the examination of his young customer, which included a demoralizing cavity search, says Sheriff Joseph Arpaio of Marciopa County.

Discussing the March 22 hoax at the Phoenix suburb, the sheriff said he was surprised the manager believed the phony policeman when he insisted that the girl would go to jail if she didn't submit to the search. "For any cop to call a private citizen and ask them to do a search is wrong and beyond my imagination," he said. The sheriff says he has sent letters to corporate headquarters of Taco Bell, Wendy's, McDonald's, Hooters, Applebee's and Ruby Tuesday urging them to warn restaurant managers of the fake calls.

These cases raise enormous, complex liability issues: Last summer, an Odessa, Texas, Burger King franchise paid ,000 to settle a civil suit filed by an employee who alleged she was forced to submit to a strip search by a male manager who received a similar phone call. The restaurant's manager was arrested and charged with "illegal restraint," and fined 0.

And last week, Wendy's International Inc. said it had been hit with four lawsuits by former workers of Boston-area company-owned outlets. In February, managers there, acting on a call from a man posing as a police officer, ordered the workers to submit to a strip search for allegedly stolen money.

Although these cases have been popping up for nearly five years, they are beginning to gain the attention of the National Food Service Security Council, a 25-year-old group of restaurant-industry security executives. Industry insiders say the restaurant chains hesitated to talk about the hoaxes because it was so embarrassing to the outlets that were involved. Tom Briggs, a council spokesman, said the idea of managers falling for the hoax points to a serious training flaw. "Whoever this caller is must be a hell of a good con man," Mr. Briggs says. "You'd think nobody would fall for this."

The National Restaurant Association, Wendy's, Taco Bell and Applebee's are sending memos to restaurants telling managers that if they receive suspicious calls, to ask for the caller's name and telephone number, then hang up and contact local law-enforcement authorities.

"We're directing them not to take any action," says Laurie Schalow, a spokeswoman for Taco Bell, a subsidiary of Yum! Brands Inc., Louisville, Ky.

Since last month's incidents, Wendy's has sent letters making clear to restaurant managers that "searches of employees must be visual and not physical. And physical means under no circumstances will an employee be asked to removed articles of clothing that covers the torso, except for outer coats, shoes or a hat," says Bob Bertini, a Wendy's spokesman.

Experts in employee-rights law and retail loss prevention say that courts have upheld companies' rights to search lockers and e-mail, for instance, so long as employees are told of the company's right to search its property. Still, most experts agree that strip-searching is an invasion of privacy, and that most companies move conservatively on tips about possible thefts, probing for sufficient evidence before accusing an employee.

Retailers, in general, have good reason to be on guard for internal theft: Stores lose about .5 billion annually to inventory shrinkage, about 48% of that from employee theft, according to the University of Florida's Security Research Project.

Restaurants are cash-intensive businesses, and thus prime targets for theft of items such as food, as well as robberies, burglaries and theft of cash by employees. Still, experts say internal theft is preventable, if only by using more rigorous measures of screening prospective employees.

Fast-food outlets are particularly vulnerable to being duped this way, says Kevin Tate, senior manager of retail work-force solutions at Unicru Inc., a Portland, Ore., firm that advises companies on loss-prevention issues. And a teenage supervisor of a fast-food store could lack the maturity and professional experience to deal effectively with such complex legal issues, he says.

"They don't have anywhere near the experience that a 30-year vice president of loss prevention has," Mr. Tate says, suggesting that companies beef up their management guidebooks to include tips from senior security executives.

Write to Steven Gray at [email protected]

Corrections & Amplifications:

Joseph Arpaio is sheriff of Maricopa County in Arizona. The name of the county was incorrectly given as Marciopa in the article above.

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/0,,SB108061045899868615-IRje4Nmlah3oJ6uZIKJcaWIm4,00.html

Also at:
http://www.indystar.com/articles/8/133863-2128-031.html

I love this one - its just how I feel (although i suppose it is difficult for some people not to follwo the instrutions of people in authority):

Eatery managers: Don't strip-search your customers

Mar. 31, 2004 12:00 AM

It's official. The world has now lost its last shred of common sense. The fine art of reason and good judgment? Gone. Basic intelligence has once and for all bailed on us.

There is absolutely no other explanation for the outrage that occurred last Friday at a Fountain Hills Taco Bell.

By now, you've heard the story.

The manager of the Taco Bell - the 39-year-old manager - gets a phone call from someone who claims to be a cop. The "cop" tells the manager that he's looking for a girl who has stolen some money or may have drugs, and he instructs the Rhodes Scholar to see if there's anyone who matches the description.

The manager spies a 17-year-old girl, a high school student on spring break who has stopped in to have lunch with two friends. He asks the girl to accompany him to a back room where he proceeds to cover the window with cardboard and carry out the "orders" of the "cop."

"He has her strip, and he has her do jumping jacks to get sweaty," said Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, whose office is investigating. "Then he does a couple of cavity searches."

I always knew fast food could be hazardous to your health. I just didn't know it was your mental health.

"It's just torn up our family," the girl's mother told me. "I don't understand how it could happen."

No one with a brain the size of that annoying little Taco Bell dog would understand how such a thing could happen. But apparently it does. Often.

Since 1999, some pervert has been calling restaurants across the nation, pulling this same stunt, ordering managers to strip-search their employees.

In 2001, it happened at Burger Kings in Bismarck, N.D., Odessa, Texas, and Ottumwa, Iowa. In 2002, it happened at a McDonald's in Utah and a Burger King in Indiana. In 2003, it happened at a Hardee's in Rapid City, S.D., Applebees in Salt Lake City and at Hooters in Charleston, W.Va.

In February, it happened at four - count 'em, four - Wendy's in the Boston area.

And now, it has happened in Fountain Hills. Only this time it wasn't an employee.

And it wasn't a stunt.

"Please don't call it a prank. The TV stations have been calling it a prank on Taco Bell," the girl's mother said. "For my daughter's sake, it's not a prank."

No, it wasn't a prank. And that 39-year-old manager is no victim. I can see where a 17-year-old girl might be intimidated by a "cop" on the phone, who tells her she's going to jail if she doesn't submit.

But a 39-year-old man?

Restaurant managers of America, here's a news flash: COPS DON'T CALL YOU ON THE PHONE AND ASK YOU TO STRIP-SEARCH YOUR CUSTOMERS. ESPECIALLY NOT YOUR CUSTOMERS WHO ARE 17 YEARS OLD.

"I would think any citizen watching Cops knows that even a cop has to go and usually get a search warrant, and they use a medical person to search your body cavity," Arpaio said.

Since they apparently don't, Arpaio says he has sent letters to all the chains. There is, however, one more person he ought to contact: the county attorney.

Like I said, that 39-year-old is no victim. That girl went looking for a chalupa and came away with a complex that she'll have to live with for a long time. I figure before this is over, she'll own Taco Bell.

But until then, the fast-food giant might want to consider a change in its motto.

Instead of "Think Outside the Bun," how about just "Think."

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/0331roberts31.html

Emps

Another one but it does make one wonder if some people are using the story as an excuse?

Version of naked truth served up

Employees offer novel explanation after they are found in the buff in Sonic restroom

Jeff Lehr
Globe Staff Writer
5/28/04

Two employees of the Sonic Drive-in on East Seventh Street in Joplin who were caught naked together in one of the restaurant's restrooms Wednesday night offered what would seem to be a wild explanation but one police say may just be true.

Preposterous. But possibly true.

Joplin police Cmdr. Jim Hounschell said a 16-year-old female manager and a 19-year-old male cook told another manager who discovered them in the compromising position a little before 9 p.m. in the women's restroom of the Sonic Drive-in at 1030 E. Seventh St. that they were following the instructions of a man who'd called the restaurant and identified himself as a police officer.

A man who called the restaurant at 7:45 p.m. told a female manager that an elderly woman had come to the police station to report that her purse was stolen while she was at the drive-in and that a male employee was the suspect, Hounschell said. The caller asked the manager to describe the male employees on duty, and when she got to the cook, he told her that was the guy and that he needed her to conduct a strip search of him, Hounschell said.

The female manager then asked the cook to accompany her into the women's restroom.

"The caller then tells her to have the cook disrobe, and the cook does," Hounschell said. "Apparently, the caller was threatening to have her arrested if she did not cooperate. So she cooperated."

The caller then ordered the manager to perform oral sex on the cook, which she initially refused to do, he said. But he threatened her with arrest again, he said.

"He told her he'd send some officers down to arrest her," Hounschell said. "So, uh, she did."

When the act was completed, Hounschell said, the caller asked her to give the phone to the cook. He said the caller then told the cook that he was not a suspect in the theft of the purse, that the female manager had been the suspect all along, and that everything he'd asked them to do up to that point was intended as a test of her innocence or guilt.

He then ordered the cook to conduct a strip search of the manager to see if she had the purse or its contents on her, Hounschell said.

In the meantime, Hounschell said, other employees of the restaurant had become concerned with what was going on in the restroom and contacted another manager by telephone. When that manager, a 27-year-old man, arrived and entered the restroom, he found them both naked and the cook still on the phone, he said.

He asked them what they were doing, Hounschell said. While they were attempting to explain themselves, the male manager grabbed the phone and asked the caller who he was. At that point, the caller hung up, Hounschell said.

The male manager contacted police at 9:16 p.m. and told them the story that the female manager and cook had told him. Hounschell said both the female manager and the cook told police that they believed the caller was a police officer and that they would be arrested if they did not do as he asked.

A supervisor at the Sonic on Thursday said the company would have no comment on the case.

Hounschell said the female manager's and cook's story would be more difficult to believe if police had not received a report of a similar call to another Joplin restaurant earlier Wednesday and yet another report of that kind a few months ago.

A man who identified himself as a Joplin police officer called the Country Kitchen, 3434 S. Range Line, between 3 and 3:30 p.m. Wednesday and told a manager there that an older woman had reported her purse stolen in his restaurant and that a female waitress was suspected. He described the waitress to the manager and asked him to perform a strip search on her.

"But this manager was suspicious and started asking questions," Hounschell said.

The caller hung up when the manager became wary, he said. The Country Kitchen caller was described as sounding between 40 and 50 years old, "professional-like" and "very convincing," he said.

A male caller succeeded in getting a manager at a restaurant on Range Line to conduct a strip search of a waitress a few months ago, Hounschell said.

The cases are difficult to investigate, Hounschell said, because the calls cannot be traced.

Hounschell said it is never proper police procedure for an officer to order a civilian to conduct a strip search. He said officers themselves are limited in conducting strip searches without search warrants. He said about the only time that should happen is when an officer has probable cause to believe that someone is concealing something that poses a danger to themselves or others.

"We certainly wouldn't have somebody else do it to one of their employees," Hounschell said.

http://www.joplinglobe.com/story.php?story_id=114016&c=87

Seems like they caught someone:

Ex-deputy arrested in strip searches

Fla. man named in fast-food case

Emily Bittner
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 2, 2004 12:00 AM

A corrections officer accused of calling fast-food restaurants around the country, including a Fountain Hills Taco Bell, and persuading managers to strip-search employees and customers was arrested Thursday in Florida.

David R. Stewart, 38, who also once worked as a sheriff's deputy, told detectives he was "happy this was finally over" but declined to elaborate without an attorney, said West Bridgewater, Mass., police Lt. Ray Rogers.

Stewart, who previously worked for the Washington County (Fla.) Sheriff's Office, was the target of a nationwide investigation that sparked a tug of war over surveillance tapes between the Massachusetts police department and the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office, which considers Stewart a strong investigative lead.

In dozens of cases across the country, a man posing as a police officer called fast-food restaurants asking managers to detain anyone matching a vague suspect description and strip-search them.

In March, the caller struck a Fountain Hills Taco Bell, where the male manager strip-searched a 17-year-old girl in a back room.

The mother of the Fountain Hills victim was overjoyed Thursday when she heard the news and praised Sheriff Joe Arpaio's work.

"The only thing he's ever done in this case with my daughter is try to help us and try to get the word out there so it didn't happen to someone else," she said. "I don't really care who caught him, as long as he's caught."

Her daughter is in counseling and doing "all right."

The contested surveillance tapes were key to Stewart's capture, Rogers said.

Massachusetts police traced the calls to public phones in Panama City, Fla. The calling cards that were used were then traced to several Florida Wal-Mart stores. Store surveillance video showed the suspect purchasing several cards, he said.

When the tapes were discovered, Arpaio appeared on several national television programs and said the calls originated in Florida, Rogers said.

Shortly after that, the calls stopped because Stewart was feeling the "heat" after the publicity, he told detectives.

"It's too bad Sheriff Joe Arpaio . . . was so unprofessional," Rogers said. "Any seasoned investigator would know better than to go public with information prior to exhausting all investigative possibilities."

Maricopa County sheriff's Sgt. Don Harvey said West Bridgewater police officials have failed to return phone calls from sheriff's detectives and have refused to cooperate in the investigation.

"Is he trying to catch a suspect who has perpetrated sexual assaults over the phone, or is he trying to spite us?" Harvey said about one of the department's detectives.

Massachusetts police refused to provide the tapes to Arpaio's detectives for fear he would play them on Good Morning America, they said.

In April, Arpaio subpoenaed the tapes for the Fountain Hills investigation and accused the Massachusetts police of commandeering them.

"My mission was to solve the case, a very, very serious case against a young woman who was sexually abused," Arpaio said. "It was still successful. That's the bottom line."

Harvey said Massachusetts detectives already have discussed details of the investigation with a restaurant trade publication.

"They're a little department, and maybe they thought this would be their claim to fame," Harvey said.

Massachusetts detectives, meanwhile, showed the tapes to Florida police, who helped identify a suspect.

Police searched Stewart's Fountain, Fla., home on Wednesday and seized police magazines and several calling cards. They then questioned him at the Bay County Correctional Department, where he works.

The Massachusetts agency told the other police departments involved in the investigation about their findings on Thursday morning, Rogers said, and a Kentucky police department was the first to get an arrest warrant for Stewart. He was arrested on charges of facilitating sodomy.

Massachusetts police said they will now share the evidence with Arpaio.

"He's welcome now to all the documents that he was going to send his SWAT team up to get," Rogers said.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0702tacobell.html

Man Arrested For Strip-Search Hoax

Multiple States Involved In Investigation

POSTED: 12:58 am EDT July 2, 2004

BOSTON -- Police have identified a Florida man suspected of making hoax phone calls to fast food restaurants in Massachusetts and around the country and encouraging management to strip search employees and in at least one case, a customer.

An investigation that involved law enforcement agencies from multiple states, as well as security personnel for AT&T and Wal-Mart, led to David R. Stewart, 38, of Fountain, Fla., said Lt. Raymund Rogers of the West Bridgewater police.

Stewart was arrested on Thursday at his home on a fugitive from justice warrant from Mount Washington, Ky., Rogers said, where the suspect allegedly made a hoax call to a local McDonald's.

A search of Stewart's home and car on Wednesday turned up calling cards and other evidence, Rogers said. Investigators had previously determined that the suspect was making the calls from pay phones in the Panama City, Fla. area using pre-paid calling cards bought at local Wal-Mart stores.

A message left on an answering machine at Stewart's home in the Panama City area on Thursday evening was not immediately returned. It was not immediately clear if he had a lawyer.

Stewart, who recently worked as a correctional officer for the Bay County, Fla. Corrections Department, is alleged to have called restaurants and stores identifying himself as either management or law enforcement. The caller would then persuade managers to detain and search employees for drugs or money.

In Panama City, Sgt. Kevin Miller said Stewart is believed to be behind a July 2003 call to a local supermarket that led an assistant store manager to force a young woman to expose her breasts and genitalia.

The store's manager was arrested on charges of lewd and lascivious behavior and false imprisonment, but prosecutors later dropped both counts.

At a Taco Bell in Fountain Hills, Ariz., the caller persuaded the manager to strip search a 17-year-old female customer last March.

"I'd like the guy to face charges, this is a very serious offense," said Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio. "For four years this has been going on around the country, and once it hit my county I gave it top priority. I am glad it appears to be coming to a conclusion."

At Wendy's restaurants in West Bridgewater, Abington, Whitman and Wareham, the caller persuaded managers to strip search employees in February.

Stewart has not been charged in Massachusetts. Police must submit their evidence to the district attorney's office to determine if and what charges will be filed, Rogers said. A call to a spokeswoman for Plymouth District Attorney Timothy Cruz was not immediately returned on Thursday.

With the help of Wal-Mart security, police watched hundreds of hours of store surveillance tapes to identify the suspect, Rogers said.

Law enforcement agencies from Maricopa County, Ariz., Miami, Ohio, Portland, Maine, and Dubuque, Iowa helped in the investigation, Rogers said.

"Everybody was on the same page," he said. "AT&T and Wal-Mart security people were fantastic with the amount of information they provided."

Some restaurant managers have been criminally charged for going along with the caller, but none of the Wendy's managers in Massachusetts have been criminally charged because police consider them victims of the hoax. At least one civil complaint has been filed in Massachusetts against a Wendy's manager.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/3485083/detail.html

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of person would go along with a demand to submit to a strip search ....even from th' boss.:(

Heck....is it worth a minimum wage job?

I suppose it's a reflection of the poor job public schools are doing here.These people never heard of the constitutional restrictions on search and seizure?:rolleyes:

Why would anyone go along with this because someone on the phone told them too? It could be anyone! I find it hard to believe that people are so gullible to go along with something as ridiculous as this. More funding for education.....hmmmmmm.

sureshot

Never ever underestimate the potential gullibility/stupidity of human beings

How could it happen? All too easily I'm afraid.

Seminole said:
I'm still trying to figure out what kind of person would go along with a demand to submit to a strip search ....even from th' boss.:(

Heck....is it worth a minimum wage job?

I suppose it's a reflection of the poor job public schools are doing here.These people never heard of the constitutional restrictions on search and seizure?:rolleyes:

and:

sureshot said:
Why would anyone go along with this because someone on the phone told them too? It could be anyone! I find it hard to believe that people are so gullible to go along with something as ridiculous as this. More funding for education.....hmmmmmm.

Its understandable and the reasons have cropped up around these parts before - see:

The Milgram Experiment

Social Conditioning

Emps

Yes - its only a minor step on from the classic "I am phoning from British Telecom - I need you to test the phone for me - can you........(drinka pint of water upside down/sing happy birthday to me/ eat a biscuit whislt talking to me on the phone etc. etc.)

It is surprising that it hasn't been used for more obvious sexual kicks previously.

To be perfectly honest though - when I read the first coverage in the national press - I thought "Urban Myth." It is only very recently that I have been pressed into trusting these stories.

Bilderberger said:
To be perfectly honest though - when I read the first coverage in the national press - I thought "Urban Myth." It is only very recently that I have been pressed into trusting these stories.

LOL - yes I initially thought it was some very poor defence someone's lawyer came up with but apparently not. Its why I kep my eye on the story for a bit without posting anything.

Emps

Back