• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

ring pulls

liveinabin

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Do you remember back in the eighties drink cans came with ringpulls that you pulled right off, rather than the ones we have now?

Well the problem with them was always what to do with them once you had pulled them off. Some people just dropped them on the floor, but those of us who didn't like to litter would drop them into the can.

But then you dad would tell you not to do that because one girl swallowed and cut her insides up.

Now was he lying or does anyone know if that happened?

I would think it unlikely because, if you dropped the ringpull in the can, it was well nigh impossible to get it out again!

Yes, it was possible to swallow one dropped in the can, somehow they could "float" on the gas bubbles sometimes. It happened to a mate of mine and we all laughed like drains at him as he choked. Luckily he coughed it up. What arseholes we are as teenagers, eh?

Also you could snap off the bit that was actually part of the can and use it as a kind of spring to launch the ring part, which had a couple of slots in it, across the room like a mini frizbee!

Ahh yes I remember them. Being the Green child I was, I was very happy when they got rid of them, because it reduced litter a great deal.
I think I even boycotted the ones that still had detachable ringpulls for a while.

pinkle

Didn't you have to collect them for kidney dialysis machines or the RNIB along with tin foil and other matallic household waste?

You mean you used to out them back in the can before you'd finished drinking?? Isn't that a stupid thing to do? lol *ahem* sorry
I used to put them in my pocket and then put them in the can when I'd finished. :)

All I can say is dont leave your undrunk beer can unattended at a party, I did once and nearly choked on a ciggie butt end.

Thats why as students we used to put our drink in baby bottles. No one would think it was theirs, no one could put their fag out in it, and no matter how drunk you were you couldn't spill it!!

Spooky angel said:
You mean you used to out them back in the can before you'd finished drinking?? Isn't that a stupid thing to do? lol *ahem* sorry
I used to put them in my pocket and then put them in the can when I'd finished. :)

You dot your I's with little hearts don't you spooky? :)

Adrian Veidt said:
You dot your I's with little hearts don't you spooky? :)

I have no idea what you're on about, or how that relates to ring pulls, but I detect sarcasm. :p lol

liveinabin said:
Thats why as students we used to put our drink in baby bottles. No one would think it was theirs, no one could put their fag out in it, and no matter how drunk you were you couldn't spill it!!
And it's more difficult for someone to drug it as well. Very sensible. In fact, I'll take a baby bottle with me when I meet Adrian next month ;)

I thought the whole point of having a drink was so people could spike it?

beakboo said:
And it's more difficult for someone to drug it as well. Very sensible. In fact, I'll take a baby bottle with me when I meet Adrian next month ;)

Oooh, will you bring the nappies as well, like you promised? ;)

Spooky angel said:
I have no idea what you're on about, or how that relates to ring pulls, but I detect sarcasm. :p lol

Sarcastic? Moi?. You wound me madame, cut me to the veritable quick!

;)

Back