• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Roar!!!! (Breeding Project To Save The Barbary Lion)

rossba1

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Ah, this is what I was looking for and failed to find a few years back.

Those selective breeding projects for extinct or nearly so animals

How about the Auroch and the Tarpan??

I think they do have something they call "aurochs" in the Netherlands, bred from various primitive strains of bovine, there used to be a website with pictures of them.

..so the true aurochs checked out in the renaissance, and that would have ended the story, but in 1920 two brothers, Heinz and Lutz Heck set out to "re-create" the aurochs by back-breeding domestic cattle with aurochs-like qualities. Heinz worked at the Hellabrunn Zoological Gardens in Munich, and Lutz worked in Berlin, starting with slightly different stock but producing similar results. The Berlin breed failed, but the Hellabrunn breed is still around and any "aurochs" you might see in a zoo or on a farm is, most likely, one of these. They have distinctly aurochs-like characteristics, but are a little smaller than those in the fossil record.

From here:

http://users.aristotle.net/~swarmack/aurochs.html

Thank you.

Wonder how many other animals this method could help?

Welcome.

Still trying to get my head around the idea of a cow that's just a little smaller than an elephant. :shock: Who's turn to do the milking today?

Am I the only one puzzled about the claim of bringing back extinct animals in this way? I mean, it's cool and all, but it's not really bringing them back. It's creating a new animal that's very simiilar to an extinct one. It's a nice thought, but what's the point?

Diversity?

And no Andy, you dont milk the cows, you eat them.

(just how different in size are these new aurochs to the old? Remember Cesear was comparing them to the north african elephant which was small, smaller than the asian.)

Yes, theres another animal...the north african elephant.

Getting back to the Barbary Lion. I think they found a few that were pure barbary in circus and dodgy theme parks. Never heard anymore about attempts to revive the species.

I dont know, the lions we have are a pretty mixed lot. I wouldnt be surprised if a few were subspecies

regardless of whether its viable its an interesting project all the same, and will teach us a lot about genetics

Back