• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Rome untoppled?

Re: Re: Re: A few points.

Cujo said:
The Roman's didn't kill Jesus, they were just carrying out the demands of the Jewish heirarchy and the crowd.
The Romans killed Jesus. The Crucifix was a Roman form of torture and death. Romans physically nailed him there and a Roman stabbed his side when he was up there. It is usually catholics who blame the Jews. Not only was Jesus a jew but his excecutors were catagorically Romans.

Who's Mums and Dads?
Erm, everyone that died at the hands of the Romans had a mum and a dad. And it is no less plausible that many of the people who died were mums and dads. Odd statement!

I didn't say that they didn't comit what would now be called war crimes. But at the time that was standard behaviour, everybody was doing it.
Then why did so many people oppose their actions?

What the Nazi's did could not be described as standard.
That is not how the Nazis felt.

Hitler also admired and attempted to emulate the British Empire. And you have to call it British as most of the army that built it was Scottish or Welsh.
This is true and has been something that I have pointed out to people as well. However, there was unfortunately an English Empire long before the one that you speak of (which should of course be called the British Empire)

I am afraid that the English Empire goes back to Edward I.

Re: Re: Re: A few points.

Cujo said:
What the Nazi's did could not be described as standard. Their crimes seem to be unique in history.

:hmph: You need to read the Old Testament then: at least 2 instances of the Hebrews systematically committing genocide against their enemies. Slightly more recently, while what the Conquistadores and the missions did in Central and South America couldn't be exactly described as systematic genocide, it was still the desruction of at least 2 indiginous cultures and the massacre of huge sections of their native populations. And then there are the activities of the Europeans in North America when dealing with Native Americans. And the behaviour of Europeans in Australia in relation to the Aboriginal population. And then there's Hitler's Soviet counterpart, Stalin. Hitler's activities were by no means unique: more's the pity.

Cujo said:
Hitler also admired and attempted to emulate the British Empire. And you have to call it British as most of the army that built it was Scottish or Welsh.

Well, wouldn't it be better to call it the 'Celtic Army' then? ;)

I hate to point this out but the Picts killed a bunch of people too. They were famous for it.

Robert the Bruce killed the Red Comyn in Dunfermine Church, that's why he was excomunicated. The country of Scotland was excomunicated because he was King.

History is fully of people killing other people. The first king of a united Scotland, Keneth MacAlpine, became king by killing everyone else who had a claim.

The Roman's were no worse than anyone else at the time. They were just better organised. People opposed them because people tend to be sentementally attached to their own cultures. And not everyone opposed them.

Cujo

Cujo said:
I hate to point this out but the Picts killed a bunch of people too.They were famous for it
The picts were never famous for anything other than leaving scant evidence for there existance. The tribes of Scotland were as buggered up as every other country but there was never an attempt to destroy or conquer another nation. I would like to see your reasoning for the "Picts famous for killing" thang. Oh, and some evidence...
The picts were first described by the Romans who were describing barbarian tribes men who were alien to the author. Later on we do indeed have Pictish Wars and Assualts on....wait for it......the Romans. The Picts killed (mainly people who were attempting to invade) and were killed but they are not "Famous" for being killers. They are more famous for the intricate silver work and the symbol stones that they left for us.(jeez, I am feeling dejavu here mate)

Robert the Bruce killed the Red Comyn in Dunfermine Church, that's why he was excomunicated. The country of Scotland was excomunicated because he was King.
Correct......and?

History is fully of people killing other people. The first king of a united Scotland, Keneth MacAlpine, became king by killing everyone else who had a claim.
Correct again......what is your point though.

The Roman's were no worse than anyone else at the time.
Now, there is a statement and a half!
And not everyone opposed them.

On the one hand you think that the actions of Hitler are unique (everything is unique in this unique planet) and on the other you think that once apon a time it was commonplace and of a "standard" recognised by most..........well, you dont think much of your own ancestors or those of other nations.

Did Wallace fight only because he was "sentimental about his land"........ugh!:hmph:

St.Clair said:
The picts were never famous for anything other than leaving scant evidence for there existance. The tribes of Scotland were as buggered up as every other country but there was never an attempt to destroy or conquer another nation. I would like to see your reasoning for the "Picts famous for killing" thang. Oh, and some evidence...
The picts were first described by the Romans who were describing barbarian tribes men who were alien to the author. Later on we do indeed have Pictish Wars and Assualts on....wait for it......the Romans. The Picts killed (mainly people who were attempting to invade) and were killed but they are not "Famous" for being killers. They are more famous for the intricate silver work and the symbol stones that they left for us.(jeez, I am feeling dejavu here mate)

St.Clair, you're basing your assumptions upon the writings of the Pict's enemies. It would be like basing your assumptions about Judaism upon the writings of the Nazis.

The reason that the Romans were resisted by those that they conqured was because that they were conquerors. They were ritch, powerful and too prone to interfer in 'foreign' affairs. They were the Americans of their age.

Well jings, crivvens, help ma boab...

Well, my first post to the board rests on a mildly fortean incident - I chose the name 'Cruithne' in honour of the (eventually false) third moon discovery, and then promptly walk into THIS thread. Fate, coincidence or my own over-fertile imagination?

Anyway, there's a lot of irony thick in the air in this conversation. As cujo points out, it is quite likely that we owe the concept of our nations as geographical (as opposed to cultural) entities to the Romans, with the conqueror's need to divide, separate and define. The lay of the land, pre-Romans, was rather similar to pre-conquest america - with tribes and confederacies of people holding a sense of collective identity in a manner not entirely undefined by boundaries and geography, but much less so than we do at present - the main cohesives being shared language, history, art and cultural mores. This seems to change with the arrival of the Romans, or indeed, any other outside threat.

Once you get over that hurdle of our modern (post Roman) sense of identity and 'nation' being the same as 'country' then I would argue, the need to get so hot under the collar about all of this hopefully lessens. The 'Welsh' (really, just brythonic tribes of varying types) cannot be seen particularly as invaders, I agree. It seems likely that, for a good while at least, brythonic tribes such as the Votadini had been in southern Scotland for a good while - maybe at some point they had been invaders, but had probably been in that region of the country long enough to stop being invaders in any case -and as much of the land was not used for farming, not claimed or proclaimed in any official treaty, 'invasions might seem a touch grandiose. Remember also, that the term 'The Welsh' is a bit much - the Welsh lanaugae is the closest to the language they would have spoken, but Wales is a post Saxon encroachment phenomenon, to my knowledge - the various tribes making up the Britons were far more complex and heterogeneous than I think some posters are giving them credit for.

But they did have their wars, these ancestors of ours - tribal conflicts, squabbles, etc. Well, that doesnt add up to an invasion either - it just meant the various competing identities didnt always get on famously - land, territory etc worked its mojo on them and started wars.

Speaking of my own back garden though, we're a fairly complex bunch too. Who were the Caledonians? Well, as pointed out, Tacitus grouped them altogether. We know there were people calling themselves the Picts after Roman power declined in the Isand confederated into a proto nation in the greater part of Scotland, who on occasion glowered resentfully at the thriving, thrusting maritime kingdom of dal Riata to the west, as it increasingly turned its attention away from the hebridean/argyll seaboard (increased Viking incursions a great incentive there) to matters inland. going further back from that, and it gets fuzzier and less clear, although one thing is fairly clear, and that is that those north of the current border, living amid the woods were generally seen as a wee bit odd by those south of it.

The Picts/Caledonians will alsways be a bit of a mystery - some people doubted they existed before the defining experience of the Antonine and Hadrian walls, others beg to differ. I've heard of the basque link - I don't actually discount it. It would not surprise me in the least if there were other 'neolithic hangovers' like the Basques in Europe - Scotland's actually a pretty good candidate for that. In addition we have the Cruithne - which are often described in the early annals as the 'early people' of Scotland and Northern Ireland, before the arrival of the Celts. Where they the Caledonians and other picts?

What is certain, that5 even by the time the Romans had come, whatever the Picts were, they had been strongly influenced culturally by those we do know to have been Celts - by the early centuries AD they had adopted P-celtic (early precursor to Welsh), and there had been numerous intercultural exchanges. these serve to place the Picts in a context, but make iot much harder to work out their true origins. But yes, they were seen as a distinct grouping, if not one people, by many.

dal Riata is interesting too - recent archaeology suggests that the old theory, that a bunch of Erse pirates came over (the sons of Erc) came and founded it fairly late in the day, doesnt seem tenable - it seems the kingdom as it stood in the early post-Roman period, was the resuly, not of a full scale invasion of Gaels but of over a thousand years of development - many of its people were natives who spoke Gaelic, who had come under the influence of the language and culture as a result of the maritime nature of the region - the Gaelic compact between western Scotland and Ulster was an aquatic Gaelic based proto-nation which had developed via settlement, spheres of influence and trade, it seems.

I'm running out of time here, and I havent even started on the Romans yet, so I'll more or less summarise from hereonin -

- the arguments I've read here, have been very entertaining, and informative, but seem to come from a very modern perspective (only seem to - forgive me if I read you wrong...)
- The history of that period is too complex and elusive to reduce to the level of who beat who or whether 'Scotland' was worth conquering - of course it was worth conquering! The success of the romans rested on the fact that they, generally saw the potential in pieces of territory and areas of land in a fashion quite different from everyone else. I do agree though, that lack of resources, willpower and problems in other parts of the em was probably the reason they did not break their backs trying to complete the job. The Picts/Gaels and other natives might well be able to take some pride in the fact that they made life sufficiently difficult enough for the Romans for them to take that decision to give up the ghost - but it was never as straightforward as just kicking them out.
-I dont think the Romans were Saints - there is a lot to criticise, but unlike the Nazis, there were admirable features, and ideals of public life and government which they aimed for - that they failed of course, sometimes spectacularly, sometimes grossly perverting them, is not so much a testament to their evil as to their painful (collective) humanity

Speaking of which, I hope to come back and do some irresponsible speculating about the 'what if' of the survival of the pagan empire -and I hope this post hasnt been TOO dull, or irrelevant...

How ye doin' Cruithne!

Welcome to the forum.

Did you enjoy your first thread. I do hope you read it all before posting. It helps, thats all!:)

I was just knocked sideways by the assertion (on page one) that the Romans never actually bothered and that the Pictish tribes were not celtic (even culturally)

Then a pile of errors began to get thrust in my direction. As a historian, I took this badly. We have sorted it out, though and left the thread. Although, Intaglio may have taken it all pretty badly as he did not return.......but he should have just left it alone. Or ran out and purchased some decent literature.

Anyhoo, (and please dont read this wrong) you said that the arguments were destinctly modern..............what is the alternative? I can only see from my own perspective. Even when I empathise with others. I do not want to sound insular but it is a fact that we cant really put ourslves in someone elses shoes or travel back in time and think like a person of the past.

We do try though and that is what is important.......and it works to a point. We all have humanity in common and therefore we can transcend certain boundries.

It has been my job for many years to try and crawl under the skin of people from the past and I can only "FEEL" that it works. None of us have a guide to tell us when it has worked and when it has not.

Your points were neither dull or irrelevant though, so dont worry about that.

P.S If we were able to jump back in time and leap into someones shoes.................we would probably still get it wrong.

Welcome to Fortean, fellow Scot/Albanian/Dalriadian/Pict/etc,etc

BUT NOT ROMAN!!

Realised I never replied to the post from you St.Clair - real life intervwening, but bad manners all the same, so belatedly, thanks for the welcome and for the reply.

Agreed that it is difficult to distance yourself from modern views - hard to look at Rome or early USA without distaste at slavery, for example. I suppose, it seemed that the argument was taking a Scotland-England -Wales perspective - and in Roman times, none of these ideas existed except in pre-emptive form. But you knew that...

I suppose that's all i meant. I found it ironic that we owed the romans, in many respects, something of the sense of who we are at present.

anyway, would not question the fact that the Picts were a celtic culture - just pointing out some alternative accounts and some of the debate that has being going on. Anyway, I'll hit submit now and let the thread take care of itself...

Cruithne said:
Realised I never replied to the post from you St.Clair - real life intervwening, but bad manners all the same, so belatedly, thanks for the welcome and for the reply.

St. Clairs' gone. Upped sticks and left i tell ya.

Oh

Right.

That's all a bit - superfluous then...

(You can tell I know what's going on, eh?)

I'll get the blinds, you get the door then? kushti.

Back