• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Rosebuds

A

Anonymous

The recent thread, "Strong Smell of Roses", reminds me of a strange story I heard in my family while growing up. I got the facts today from my older sister who was acquainted at the time with the woman in the following story.

In the 1950s, a young woman in our hometown got married. Within a short period of time after her wedding, she began to have episodes of deep sadness where she would just sit and cry for no reason. Then at times, she would feel extremely frightened, again without a cause. As time progressed, her mental anguish continued and it seemed that nothing could be done to help her feel well again.

In desperation for answers, she decided to visit a medium. She told the medium how sad and hopeless she felt. The medium told her to go home and cut open her bed pillows and there she would find what was giving her so much trouble. The medium also told her to discard the pillows after she found out.

She thought it was a very bizarre thing that the medium advised her to do, but went home and followed the instructions nonetheless. As she cut open her bed pillows, she found dried rosebuds buried deep within the stuffing.

The bed pillows had been a gift from her mother in law, who had never liked her. She discarded the pillows as the medium had instructed. And in no time at all, her mental anguish vanished.

As far as if the woman confronted the mother in law, or any further details, I'm sorry but my sister doesn't remember any more of this strange story than what I have recounted here.

There are some pillows that are sold with a 'herbal' stuffing - it helps to give them a relaxing smell.
I don't know if those pillows were of that variety, though - I don't think they sold herbal pillows during the 50's.

Maybe she just had some kind of weird allergic reaction to the scent? Very strange story. Glad she got things sorted out in the end. :)

You sillies! It's quite obvious that her nasty mother in law placed the rosebuds in there to cast a spell or hex the young bride.
The mother-in-law probably got the spell from the medium which is how the medium knew to tell the bride what to look for.

Well, I was looking for a rational explanation. I'm too skeptical about hexes. :eek:

I haven't heard of any "hex" which makes use of rosebuds, myself. But of course that doesn't mean there isn't one. :)

In Voodoo, there is a similar type of thing called "gris-gris", which is typically a small pouch stuffed with herbs and sometimes more sinister nastiness (like animal parts, blood, or dung) and hidden usually under the bed or mattress of the intended victim. However, gris-gris isn't always bad - there are herbal combinations which are used to bring good luck.

In fact, I have some gris-gris myself, in a sock drawer. In New Orleans, you can still have it prepared for you, as well as have hexes removed and other such services performed. The old religion is taken quite seriously in those parts. I can tell you from personal experience that it really does work, even if you're a hardened skeptic like myself.

An old remedy for poor sleep was to sprinkle dried hops in your pillow.

An old folk tale was for a spinster (after the wedding of a friend) to place a peice of wedding cake under their pillow and they'd dream of the man they'd marry. Possible autosuggestion?

Rosebuds are a remedy for sleep, though. If you get dried ones you can make an infusion.

Back