• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Run down?

The_Discordian

Mmm... crunchy!
A friend of a friend (please keep reading, it's worth it!) apparently once claimed that when he was working in the region of Lagos, Nigeria, sometime in the mid-seventies, he saw a corpse on the road that had been run over so many times it was completely flat. When enquiring about this, the FAOF was told that the body in question was nobody important so the authorities hadn't bothered to clear the remains away...
Has anybody else heard of this or anything like it?

No.

But there are loads of Badgers/Cows/horses/sheep knocked down all over Dartmoor by speed freaks and it takes ages for them to be cleared up - I guess they're not important either.

The story that I heard was if you stop to do anything, you then end up being responsible for the corpse and then have to pay all the funeral expenses. Thus everyone drives right past.

I do recall a very gruesome case on a Scottish motorway where
a little girl was run over by so many cars that there was little or
nothing left to identify. :(

Quicksilver said:
No.

But there are loads of Badgers/Cows/horses/sheep knocked down all over Dartmoor by speed freaks and it takes ages for them to be cleared up - I guess they're not important either.
That reminds me of when I was on teaching practice in Stourport and every day we saw the same badger lying in the road. It was so sad. :(
That case is even sadder of course, James. I can't believe how inhumane some ppl can be.

James Whitehead said:
I do recall a very gruesome case on a Scottish motorway where
a little girl was run over by so many cars that there was little or
nothing left to identify. :(
Not sure whether it was an UL, or whether it was in fact this case but I'd heard in the past of a story where a kid (thought it was a boy) in/under a cardboard box on a motorway - I have no recollection of how the story said that kid and box had got there.
People didn't stop for or swerve round the box and by the time someone did stop to move it, kid under it had been run over by a lot of traffic.

Probably an UL - it was certainly a long time ago I heard it (about 18 years ago) and I don't recall any details such as where or when this was supposed to have happened...

Steve.

I've been in a car that hit a badger - friend of mine wasn't going fast - it was in a 30 limit and he was under the speed limit. Badger just leapt into the road a couple of feet in front of the car. Nothing he could do - by the time he reacted it was too late. Damn solid things though, badgers. It took out his bumper and radiator but apart from sadly being deceased, it looked perfectly undamaged :( Did go back there after limping his car the few remaining miles home, just to see exactly what it was we hit and
whether it was injured. Met a car full of off-duty policemen who stopped to see whether we had problems and they told us to just leave it there when we asked whether we were supposed to do anything about it.

I've had two badgers leap out of the undergrowth at me before too, but since it was in a tiny single track lane both times, I was crawling along and was able to stop and follow it up the road.

Deer are bad on a particular part of the M4 too late at night. I've had a near miss in the slow lane when a deer that had been standing in the fast lane suddenly sees movement and runs back to the verge - fortunately there were no other cars about otherwise I might have hit something with some drastic swerving!
Same stretch of road a couple of years earlier a deer did exactly the same thing, missed the car I was in but then doubled back on itself again and hit the car following me belonging to another friend. Called the police since again we weren't sure if you had to report that sort of thing, but as long as it wasn't on the carriageway they didn't care and just told us to leave it.

Steve.

I wish I could pin down the story I mentioned above but I am fairly
certain that it was a news report, probably in The Guardian and may
well have been about 15 years ago. I think the key factor was that
there was poor visibility due to rain or fog and the drivers simply
did not know what they had run over. Whether the initial accident had
been hit and run, I can't recall. :confused:

Back