• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Rupert Gould's 'Oddities'

WhistlingJack

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Is this book on the internet anywhere? I can't find it on Project Guthenberg even though it was apparently published in 1928 and so should be in the public domain as far as I'm aware... :? :?:

WhistlingJack said:
t was apparently published in 1928 and so should be in the public domain as far as I'm aware... :? :?:

Don't British copyrights extend to 85 years after the death of the author?

Hmmm... :? In the UK, copyright is 70 years after the author's death, but in the US, it appears that Oddities is in copyright only for 95 years after its publication, meaning that I'll have to wait until 2018 to read it freely and legally on the internet* (I notice though that Conan Doyle's works are freely available...).

* That's presuming it was published in the US in 1928, of course...

WhistlingJack said:
(I notice though that Conan Doyle's works are freely available...).

The Doyle estate seems to have always been somewhat lackadaisical about enforcing copyrights, especially concerning the use of the Holmes' image for advertizing purposes.

The philosophy seems to be that the more the character's name is read and image seen, the more the original stories will sell.

Back