• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Shaver Mystery

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know if the original story/account is available anywhere. I've read the Fortean Studies article, which is very interesting, and wanted to look at the source material. Also, does anyone know whether the cave/tunnels in Malta have been fully explored - i.e. are the tales of folks disappearing just designed to scare kids and titillate tourists? And finally, what other troglodyte tales are there that folks know of? Thanks in advance!!

p.s. Yippee, I got my Uncon tickets today. Bi location would be a handy trick to master before April!

Richard Shaver

I became interested in investigating some of his claims, and those of his friends and followers like Palmer and Marcoux, after I realized Shaver once lived relatively closeby, in northern Arkansas. In fact, Marcoux and others believed the entrance to Shaver's underworld was somewhere in the Ozark hills about two hours south of here.

What do you people make of the Shaver Mysteries? This may have been discussed already, and if so I apologize. I've been aware of Shaver's work for years, but I just recently came to study it in earnest. Now, I don't actually believe any of it, and Shaver himself was almost certainly schizophrenic, but could there be any kernel of truth to his world-view?

More on this:

Out of this world

By Paul Byrnes
April 23, 2005

Is it possible that a mysterious letter about aliens published by a circulation-hungry editor spawned the science fiction craze that still influences the genre today? Paul Byrnes examines one of sci-fi's most colourful conspiracy theories.

Not many will believe the tale I am about to tell. I can hardly believe it myself, but it happened, and there were once many who believed. A few still do. The Shaver Mystery is 60 years old this year. You may never have heard of it, but it has influenced much of our popular culture - from ufology, to conspiracy theory, to the films of George Lucas and Steven Spielberg. It's a foundation myth for the generation that grew up reading the oldest of the science fiction magazines, Amazing Stories, as both of those directors did. It is lurid, shocking, enticing, and quite possibly the result of what happens when full-scale schizophrenic delusion meets the American genius for turning myth into moolah.

Or it might all be true. On that level, it's the story of how a meek Pennsylvania welder named Richard Sharpe Shaver discovered an ancient race of people living underground in a vast network of tunnels. He claimed to have first heard their voices while welding on the Ford assembly line in Michigan in 1932.

Later, a blind girl called Nydia led him underground and he spent years with the people there. Actually, he said they were robots, which he called teros and deros. The deros, or "detrimental robots", were psychotic dwarfs who controlled great machines. The teros, or "integrative robots", were good, like Nydia. They had not suffered the same mental and physical deterioration, and they fought constant battles with the deros.

Both were descendants of the Titan-Atlans, aliens who settled on Earth 12,000 years ago. They lived in Atlantis, but moved underground to escape the sun's radiation. Eventually, they moved to another planet, leaving their robots behind. We are descended from one of the robot races they manufactured, according to Shaver. I told you you weren't going to believe it, but fortunately, someone did (or said he did).

Shaver was an avid reader of Amazing Stories, the least respectable and oldest pulp magazine in the science fiction world. In late 1943, he wrote to the magazine about a language he claimed he had discovered:

"Sirs, Am sending this in the hope you will insert it in an issue to keep it from dying with me. It would arouse a lot of discussion. Am sending you the language so that sometime you can have it looked at by someone in the college or a friend who is a student of antique times. The language seems to me to be definite proof of the Atlantean legend.

"A great number of English words have come down intact as romantic - ro man tic - science of man patterning by control, Trocadero - t ro see a dero - "good one see a bad one" - applied now together. It is an immensely important find, suggesting the God legends have a base in some wiser race than modern man."

Shaver sent an alphabet he called "Mantong", in which each letter had a distinct meaning - hence the transcriptions above. The letter A meant "animal", B "existence", and so on. Howard Browne, an associate editor at Amazing, threw the letter in the bin.

"The world is full of crackpots," he is supposed to have said to the editor, Ray Palmer. But Palmer loved crackpots. He published Shaver's letter and alphabet in late 1943. Reader response was good, so Palmer asked for more. Shaver then sent a 10,000-word letter entitled "A Warning to Future Man". Palmer rewrote it as a 31,000-word story, called it I Remember Lemuria!, and published it in the March 1945 issue - 60 years ago last month.

The Shaver Mystery then took off in earnest, with hundreds of reader's letters pouring in. Some backed up Shaver with their own stories of encounters beneath the earth; some pointed out the entrance portals; others warned Palmer that he was playing with death.

Palmer rewrote and published more of Shaver's outpourings. The stories got wilder and weirder and caused a backlash among more serious science fiction fans. The deros lived in cave cities and abducted surface folk to eat; they had fantastic ray guns and their mind-control machines caused delusions among the surface dwellers. The deros were sexual degenerates who used "stim" machines to debauch themselves.

Shaver blamed Franklin Roosevelt's death and the rise of Hitler on the deros. Much later, he included the death of JFK. "Even Jesus Christ was crucified under orders from the caves," writes Walter Kafton-Minkel in Subterranean Worlds, his lively history of the various inner-earth cults. (The belief in underworld civilisations goes back hundreds of years before Shaver.)

When the first great UFO "flap" occurred in 1947, Palmer jumped on that, too. Could the flying saucers be from inner space, rather than outer space? Shaver thought they could. After all, the Atlan-Titans came and went in their own spaceships thousands of years earlier.

Lots of movies are influenced by inner-earth lore. Alien vs Predator has a sort of Mayan temple beneath the Antarctic, The Matrix has the bad machines on the surface, the good people in the caves. The cave cannibals in H.G. Wells's The Time Machine predate Shaver by 40 years, and may have been a kind of auto-suggestion for the deros.

I stumbled upon this stuff last year. It seemed fascinating but harmless, except that there are people who have devoted their lives to it and died trying to find entrances to the underworld in deep caves. The internet is now the portal to these weird worlds. Over the past few months, I have been cyber-caving, discovering amazing stories. The deeper I go, the darker the trail, but the one holding the torch is a small man with a hunchback - "the P.T. Barnum of alternative reality stories", as he was dubbed by Walter Kafton-Minkel.

Ray Palmer was born in 1910. A butcher's truck ran over him when he was seven, leaving him with a bent spine and constant pain. He only grew to 142 centimetres tall. In and out of hospital, he became a science-fiction aficionado and sold his first story in 1926. By 1938, when he took over as editor, Amazing Stories was down to a circulation of 25,000. Palmer built it up with fast-paced action fiction aimed squarely at teenage boys. Lurid cover art helped, with horny space monsters and devils menacing semi-naked women. Palmer wrote much of the magazine himself, under various pseudonyms. Howard Browne, quoted in Martin Gardner's book In the Name of Science, says Palmer "loved to show his editors a trick or two about the business". That's why he rescued Shaver's letter and published it.

"I thought it was about the sickest crap I'd run into," Browne said. "Palmer ran it and doubled the circulation of Amazing within four months." Whether Palmer believed the Shaver mystery is debatable, but he believed in circulation - his salary was based on it. Amazing Stories eventually sold 180,000 copies.

"The Palmer-Shaver match was a double-barrelled, lethal and absolutely controversial combination," says California writer Richard Toronto, who corresponded with Shaver in the 1970s. "Palmer made Shaver's claims of an underworld civilisation seem real, important and timely."

Toronto says he has obtained FBI documents through freedom of information laws that show the FBI thought Palmer and Shaver concocted the 1947 UFO panic. Palmer had published a Shaver story in Amazing in September 1946 about spaceships abducting humans. On June 24, 1947, pilot Kenneth Arnold claimed to have sighted nine UFOs flying at great speed near Mt Rainier in Washington State. The story became a worldwide event and Palmer fanned the flames, recruiting Arnold to write for him.

In 1948, Palmer left Amazing and started his own pulp magazine, Fate, containing true stories of the strange, the unusual, the unknown. The first issue had a piece called I Did See the Flying Disks, by Kenneth Arnold (rewritten by Palmer).

Arnold became Palmer's new Shaver, in a sense. Interest in the Shaver mystery was waning, but flying saucers were taking off, so to speak. Palmer pushed the launch button throughout the 1950s in a series of magazines: Other Worlds, Mystic, Search, Flying Saucers.

In many, he promoted the idea that various governments knew what was happening, but wouldn't tell. In that sense, the Arnold sightings are not just the foundation of today's ufology, but a great deal of conspiracy theory.

The pulps had a significant effect on popular movies, even before Palmer. Many of the 1930s movie series - such as Buck Rogers and Tarzan - had been published first in the pulps, but Palmer's potent mix of fantasy and sexuality had a profound effect on teenage boys, some of whom would become filmmakers.

Director Steven Spielberg's father, Arnold, began reading Amazing Stories from the first issue in 1926. He subscribed to more respectable science fiction pulps as well, and Steven read them all. Joseph McBride's biography of Steven Spielberg makes clear he was particularly interested in stories about visitors from outer space.

His uncle Bud was a rocket scientist, and Steven saw all the science fiction movies of the period, many of which came from stories published in pulps. His first full-length film, Firelight, made while he was in high school in Arizona, portrays aliens abducting humans for an extraterrestrial zoo - a storyline Palmer would have been proud of.

Many of the ideas in Firelight turn up in Close Encounters and E.T., his most powerfully personal films. In the mid-1980s, Spielberg started a television show based on his fantasy and science fiction story ideas. It was called Amazing Stories.

Television killed a lot of the pulps in the early 1950s, then took up their ideas through the 1930s pulp-movie serials. George Lucas grew up watching them as Saturday matinees and on television. He also read comics and pulps, including Amazing Stories, according to Dale Pollock's 1983 biography, Skywalking.

It's easy to see their influence in his work. The multiple worlds, unlikely critters and good and bad robots in Star Wars are strikingly similar to the worlds that Richard Shaver described. The difference is that Shaver believed they were real.

Shaver died in 1975, still believing. Palmer died in 1978. He never actually said he believed in the Shaver mystery, so he never had to recant.

A few years before his own death, Palmer did say that Shaver spent nearly a decade, from the mid-1930s, in a mental hospital. These years correspond closely with the time Shaver said he was underground. In at least that sense, perhaps he was.

Source

Amazon has a book which contains both an overview of Shaver and one of his books:

Link

Is there a general thread about subterra-forteana yet?

You can find a rather eccentric selection of articles by and about Richard Shaver at Shavertron:

http://www.softcom.net/users/vtown/shavindex.html

Only go there if you enjoy reading this sort of thing...

The telaug and the telemach were once openly active all over earth, in pre-deluge times. Today they are still active, but secretly. The telaug is the device that listens to your mind's workings at a distance, and the telemach is the other device which can CAUSE you to think and act differently than you otherwise would. The meaning is "tele-make"...it makes you do things...

...do you realize the ONLY educational program regularly seen and heard on TV is Sesame Street? I get 5 channels on my TV, and that is it! Sesame Street is the only choice if you really feel you should learn something, and I can now count to ten and have an insatiable appetite for cookies.

rjm said:
Is there a general thread about subterra-forteana yet?

I haven't found much.

Setile did find claims there was a nearby underground entrance and went investigating:
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14976

and I found the post they mentioned and merged it in here too

Other than that there are underground voices:
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20821

Underground alien bases:
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=743

Subterrenean seas:
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7626

I have always been fascinated with the Shaver mystery.
(It would make a great movie!)
I think I've tried to spur on discussion of it
before, but to little or no avail...

Here is a link to some stories that are in the
vein of the Shaver stories:

http://www.subversiveelement.com/Branton1.html

Some of my family own a farm in the Ozarks,
and over the past few years a hole in the ground has slowly
been widening -- revealing itself to be a cave...
I can't wait to try get some photos of a Dero in action! ;)

Seriously, I wish Palmer had been more credible...
the bit about hearing a chorus of voices from one
man is too intriguing for words!

TVgeek

(It would make a great movie!)
hey do a screen play ! who knows! It would be a great flick! All their doing now in hollywood is re-hash crap!

Thought this was interesting from the Wikipedia page:

Influence and references to the Shaver Mystery

Shaver's Dero have also appeared in SubGenius mythology and are prominent in the work of artist Jermaine Rogers. The relative success of "The Shaver Mystery" in acquiring adherents from science fiction fandom may have influenced L. Ron Hubbard to invent Dianetics and promote it via SF magazines. The Japanese horror movie Marebito (2004, dir. Takashi Shimizu), also references Shaver's work and the Deros.

(There is reported to be an obscure connection between the Shaver Mystery and the German Thule Society. [citation needed] Both Shaver and Palmer are said to have been in contact with a former Bavarian Gauleiter who was also a member of the occult society. [citation needed])

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaver_Mystery

--
I started a Marebito thread here:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25937

--
Any evidence for the Scientology link?

--
Jermaine Rogers?

www.jermainerogers.com

VICES- Rogers has several curious 'hobbies' and interests. These interests are always undulating, moving in and out of focus in the topical surface of Jermaine's life. Provided is a list of the ones that have been identified: old pulp writings, inner-earth theory literature, Ancient and Biblical texts, 1970's children's culture (including television programming, toys, and reading materials), old-time radio shows, and wax museum figures and figure-making.

--------------------
Also a new Shaver book:

Richard Shaver: Reality of the Inner Earth (Book & Audio CD)
by Richard Shaver and Tim Swartz (2005)

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1892062 ... enantmc-20

I'm just watching BBC1's Planet Earth: Caves. Wow!
BBC1: Planet Earth
Sun 26 Mar, 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm 60mins

Caves

A look at Earth's final frontier - caves. Deer Cave in Borneo is a daytime retreat for five million bats, and their droppings support an entire community of creatures. Troglodytes like the Texas cave salamander and Thailand's cave angel have neither eyes nor pigment, and the entire populations of both are found in just a couple of caves.
Weird. No Dero needed.

Every FT reader is undoubtedly familiar with the so-called Shaver mystery. We all know how Richard Shaver wrote letters to Ray Palmer that detailed his telepathic (and other?) encounters with the evil Deros from beneath the earth. Many folks say that Ray Palmer's publication of his letters (re-written into the form of stories) was a major factor in the creation of certain threads of beliefs about UFOs.

Every book I've read says that Mr Shaver lived in Barto, Pennyslvania when he first contacted Mr Palmer.

My question is: Do any of you folks out there know WHERE in Barto he lived?

I'm asking because my wife is from the adjoining town, Bally, and because we've gone past and through Barto when visiting her homeland. I'd be interested in finding taking a picture of Mr Shaver's house, if it is still standing.

If you don't know the area, it is a rural area in Berks County, in eastern Pennsylvania. It's all a little north of Boyertown, on Route 100, and a little south of Bethlehem & Allentown. Traditionally the area is populated by people of Pennyslvania German / "Pennsylvania Dutch" heritage. Bally, a wide spot in the road, and Barto, also a wide spot in the road, are traditionally divided about equally between Mennonites and Catholics of German descent.

If my memory serves me well, Mr Shaver was from the mid-Western USA, and was working in a factory in Bethlehem when he first overheard messages from the Deros.

Any thoughts are welcome!

I seem to recall some articles in the 'zine Shavertron talking about "Shaver's Shack" and efforts to preserve it. I don't remember whether the articels mentioned the location - or if that's the residence you're inquiring about. But contacting the proprieter of that 'zine might be helpful.

edit:
Shack Shock! Apparently said shack was smashed by a pick'um'up truck sometine in 2005.

No doubt the pickup truck was under the evil influence of the Deros...

But the "Rock House" was Shaver's final home, NOT the Barto, Pennsylvania, property of decades earlier.

If Shaver OWNED the Barto home rather than rented, there'll be a deed in the county courthouse.

There should also be an early 1940s City Directory which covers Barto. Check the county Public Library or Historical Society.

If the local (or nearest big city) newspapers have been indexed it will be worth checking those.

Been a fan for years, glad there re plenty of others who are too. I haven't really researched anything though. One book that left an impression was The Lost Wolrd of Agarthi (link below). What struck me was the authors own tale of finding an unusual, mysterious tunnel between Starbotton and Kettlewell in the Yorkshire Dales. He explored and ended up leaving in a hurry. I always planned on looking for the tunnel, I did ride to Kettlewell a few years after, but due to time (and energy) restraints, never actually looked for it. I think realistically, finding it would not be the quick and easy process I wanted.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lost-World-Agharti-Mysteries-Universe/dp/0285633147

I can't say I believe in Shaver's or even Admiral Byrd's Hollow Earth, but similar stories are found all over the world and I wonder what the inspiration was. There could be other races deep within cave systems though...

There's an article in (the rather brilliant) Cabinet magazine about Shaver's rock books. They are beautiful! If... odd.
Definitely worth a look.

If you google 'Shaver rock books' you can find more images. Some are quite disturbing.

http://cabinetmagazine.org/issues/15/tucker.php

image.jpg

To the original poster "Anonymous". Malta has a lot of underground space. There are prehistoric caves, caves from the Roman Period, Hospitaler bunkers and tunnels, WW2 bunkers and tunnels. Some parts drain a lot better than others. The entire island has been inhabited for a very long time indeed and is somewhere I really want to visit.

The cave where people had the visions of Sleeping Giants related to the claims of Ms. Lois Jessup in an article in Borderland Science (magazine) who form a Californian quasi-Fortean crew who are more believers than skeptics imo in typical Californian style (it's a cultural thing there). The stories of alleged disappearances are FoaF stories to enhance the reputation of the caves for the tinfoil hat tourist. Pretty good marketing really.
https://www.timesofmalta.com/articl...ildren-alien-skulls-and-7000-skeletons.644151

Here is a link to the 1958 Lois Jessup article:
https://borderlandsciences.org/journal/vol/17/n02/Jessop_Malta_Cavern_World.html

Last edited:
Most Gozitans are descendants of people from Malta, as in the 16th century most of the Gozitan population was carried off into slavery by the Mohammedan Barbary coast corsairs and the then mostly empty island was slowly re-populated by people from Malta, that is the official story.

Last edited:
Back