• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Shining/Dimming Lights In The Sky Circa 1996

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Shining/Dimming lights in sky circa 1996/Halle-Bopp.

The closest I've come to seeing a UFO or unexplained shit was when Halle-Bopp was here. It was also the night that Newcastle played Barcelona in the CL and Tino Asprilla scored a hat-trick, 96-97?

Anyway me and my Mum had been stood out back watching the comet. It was a largeish glowing light quite low in the sky. It moved strangely, first appearing bright then dimming as if being slowly turned off. It would then reappear further along the sky again slowly getting brighter as if being turned on. It did this about six or seven times to move along the skyline.

At this point my Dad came home and asked if we'd seen the comet, it was clear in the sky out the back!?!

We went round the front of the house and sure enough there was the comet, as you see them depicted, bright light with trail following, moving very slowly to the eye across the sky!

Perplexed we went back round the front and watched the starnge light continue to move across the sky.

That bit I remember clear as day, what now seems hard to remember accurately was that I also remember afterwards that three of these glowing lights appeared slightly higher in the sky in a triangle formation (although I beleive they were three seperate ;ights as oppose to three corners of a larger object). They similarly shone and dimmed before disappearing to leave one which also eventually dimmed to nothing. And that was it!

I have never seen these lights again and have never come up with a logivcal explanation of what the hell it was.

We live near to RAF Strike Command, just outside High Wycombe, Bucks, although I do not for a minute beleive it was anything like a secret RAF aircraft. Im not easily swayed to beleive that what we saw was a UFO, my scepticism has developed to unpleasant levels in old age (24, LOL).

I have always been intrigued as to what it could possibly have been.

Anyone able to shed light?

I can't offer an explanation for your sighting I'm afraid but it did remind me of my own strange sighting at the time Halle-Bopp was around. One day my friend at work told me that she and her family have stood in the garden for the past few nights watching a light in the sky that changed colour. This light was in the opposite direction of the comet. She told me to look out for it that night. I did so and there it was. It was a bright light that definately changed colour with a regular pattern. I can't remember the order of the colours now but it changed from blue, red and green. If you turned around roughly 180 degrees you could see the comet. This was in Camelford in North Cornwall. No doubt it was some kind of atmospheric optical illusion but I found it unusual as it was in the same place several nights in a row. Unfortunately when I looked the following night it had gone.

I have another Halle-Bopp related story-although it's second-hand so I can only relate what I was told. Two years ago a friend at university told me about watching the comet one night with her friends and seeing something strange. They were lying out on the grass when they noticed three small bright lights zipping around the sky. These lights would move very quickly in one direction then suddenly stop and change direction. They moved independently of each other. After a couple of minutes all three shot off at an incredible speed. They decided they had seen alien spacecraft as it was the only explanation they could think of :)

Strange! I can definitely say that my lights also were 180 degrees from Halle-Bopp. One was visible at the front of the house. One visible at the back. There are certain similarities between all three accounts there.
Is there any bigger connections between Halle-Bopp and UFO sightings? anyone?
Didn't the Heaven'sGate weirdo's think their spaceship was behind the comet or was that something else?

Back