• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Short Good Life v Long Painful One

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,812661,00.html

Britons say non to c'est la vie philosophy

John Carvel, social affairs editor
Wednesday October 16, 2002
The Guardian

It will come as no surprise to Francophiles, but a new survey shows the French would rather have a short good life than a long painful one. The British and the Americans would choose a long life, even if it meant spending their final years in pain and dependency.
A survey of attitudes to longevity among more than 2,500 adults in the UK, France and the US found 55% of British people over 16 and 64% of Americans wanted to live at least as long as the average life expectancy, even if that entailed pain, against 35% in France. Nearly two-thirds of the French said they wanted "to live a shorter life than average if this meant dying without having been in pain or dependent on others".
The survey was commissioned by the UK International Longevity Centre to mark its first annual conference in London.
The centre said the average British man would live 75.3 years, but remain in full health for only 68.3 years. The average Frenchman would die at 75, but have 68.5 years of full health. Male life expectancy in the US was 74.2 years and healthy life expectancy 65.7 years.
French women lived longest, averaging 82.5 years, with 72.9 years in full health. In the UK and the US, female life expectancy was 80.6 years, with British women enjoying 71.4 years in full health and Americans 68.8 years.
Lady Greengross, the centre's executive chairwoman, said: "Although life expectancy is currently on the increase, so are the instances of disease in the later stages of life. We need to discuss how we can add health."
Previous research showed French men and women over 55 had the best sex lives in Europe, the best pensions and longest life expectancy. By contrast, the older British came top for nothing much apart from smoking most and regular drinking of alcohol.
The world longevity record is held by a Frenchwoman, Jeanne-Louise Calment, who died in 1997 aged 122.

seems about depressingly right...

i guess it's that waspy malaise...that english melancholy.

but just polling the English, French and Americans is bit inconclusive...i mean...there are hundreds of different ethnicities within those countries with many different cultures and outlooks on life. i'm american, but my acestry is french; i kinda side with the french: i hope i die young, a flaming mass on twisted metal with a song in my heart and the scent of a girl on me. bleh...whatever.

better grave than slave

Better grave than slave!!!
:_pished:
sakina

I have a theory that the French are like the Irish in many ways. Their country towns are very similar in feel, and their relaxed attitude. I love the French. I go for short and good any day.

Back